2016 World Cup of Hockey

spartacat_12

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Thomas said:

:wacko: these jerseys suck !

and what was wrong with just having the olympics ? There you win a gold, silver or bronze medal. What do the winners of a WC of hockey get ?

Because if rumors are true, you wont see NHLers in the Olympics as early as 2018. 

3 hours ago, Thomas said:

:wacko: these jerseys suck !

and what was wrong with just having the olympics ? There you win a gold, silver or bronze medal. What do the winners of a WC of hockey get ?

Besides skipping the next Olympics, the World Cup is all about money.  The NHL and the players don't get any of the money generated by the Olympics or the World Championships that are held each year.  While there are costs to putting on the event, the league and players obviously believe there will be a tidy profit at the end.  

And, the winner gets a strange looking vase.

one_teamCanWC04_07.jpg

1 hour ago, B-mer said:

Really, in the realm of jersey ads, thats nothing. Better than what the AHL does. 

Still dont one want jersey ads but for an event like this, not a big deal. 

Yeah, considering this is pretty much a giant NHL ad, the SAP ad is whatever...

Just as long as this doesn't carry over into the regular season...:(

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

15 hours ago, M4One said:

Besides skipping the next Olympics, the World Cup is all about money.  The NHL and the players don't get any of the money generated by the Olympics or the World Championships that are held each year.  While there are costs to putting on the event, the league and players obviously believe there will be a tidy profit at the end.  

And, the winner gets a strange looking vase.

one_teamCanWC04_07.jpg

Thanks for the info, am i the only one that feel terrible about this ? The Olympics should be the pinnacle of sports, and we know many athletes train very hard to get a medal or even just to be a part of it. 

I googled  WC 16 and some of the pics that showed up was these,

Cp_xmriUkAAD9KV.jpg

i guess you guys are right....it is all about money, i really did not think the NHL would stoop this low . giving the finger to the olympics just to make more money. :(

2 hours ago, Thomas said:

Thanks for the info, am i the only one that feel terrible about this ? The Olympics should be the pinnacle of sports, and we know many athletes train very hard to get a medal or even just to be a part of it. 

I googled  WC 16 and some of the pics that showed up was these,

IMG REMOVED

i guess you guys are right....it is all about money, i really did not think the NHL would stoop this low . giving the finger to the olympics just to make more money. :(

Should FIFA drop the World Cup because soccer is also in the Olympics? Weird logic. The single biggest Olympic hockey event happened with amateurs, you can back off the ledge, Olympic hockey will be just fine with or without the NHL.

2 hours ago, speedy said:

Should FIFA drop the World Cup because soccer is also in the Olympics? Weird logic. The single biggest Olympic hockey event happened with amateurs, you can back off the ledge, Olympic hockey will be just fine with or without the NHL.

Uhm, the soccer world cup is the world championship. Hockey already has one of those.

I have no problem with the World Cup replacing the Olympics.  It has to be bad for business to stop your league for two weeks in the middle of the season.  

If the World Cup grows we would just be watching the same tournament but outside the olympics.  

3 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

I have no problem with the World Cup replacing the Olympics.  It has to be bad for business to stop your league for two weeks in the middle of the season.  

If the World Cup grows we would just be watching the same tournament but outside the olympics.  

The Europe team is a ridiculous idea when you got other euro teams in this WC. Olympics is where the heart and soul is. WC is just for $$. Hopefully people will get wiser and not spend money on this :censored:

1 hour ago, Thomas said:

Uhm, the soccer world cup is the world championship. Hockey already has one of those.

And the NHL is trying to make their World Cup the world championship, you just don't like it because it hasn't been around forever. I think your argument is a bit flawed. 

53 minutes ago, Thomas said:

The Europe team is a ridiculous idea when you got other euro teams in this WC. Olympics is where the heart and soul is. WC is just for $$. Hopefully people will get wiser and not spend money on this :censored:

It' the first one in a while, it's a nice concept.  Look at where the WBC is for baseball going into their 4th one in 2017.  I think they're up to 28 teams, 4 qualifiers for the last 4 spots in the round of 16.

58 minutes ago, speedy said:

And the NHL is trying to make their World Cup the world championship, you just don't like it because it hasn't been around forever. I think your argument is a bit flawed. 

Okay, so now the World cup is the world championship ?  thought you or someone else said it was to replace the Olympics. Can you make up your mind ? <_< :rolleyes: :wacko:

53 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

It' the first one in a while, it's a nice concept.  Look at where the WBC is for baseball going into their 4th one in 2017.  I think they're up to 28 teams, 4 qualifiers for the last 4 spots in the round of 16.

But nobody cares about the WBC, right ? 

Archived