2016 World Cup of Hockey

spartacat_12

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

@Thomas

Look, its real simple.

The NHL and the NHLPA will probably not play in the Olympics again.

Would you rather have no World Cup or would you rather have the World Cup of Hockey with all the NHL stars .  Those are your two options.

I'd rather have a World Cup that's an actual World Cup, which means nations competing against each other, not pointless gimmicky teams created by the NHL. Simply make it a 10 or 12 team tournament to give it some legitimacy. There's next to zero buzz about this tournament, even here in Toronto, and absolutely no international interest whatsoever. If it's as big of a dud as it's shaping up to be, it will be another 12 years before they try to trot it out again, Olympics or not.  

The plan is to have the Europe and U-23 teams be one-time deals, have all national teams for the next tournament, and eventually institute some sort of play-in structure for lower-ranked teams. In other words, a full-on world championship tournament. But I'm sure you'll still complain that you won't be able to see the world's best and brightest skating in Pyeongchang at 4:15am local time, even though the Olympics will still likely offer a very compelling U-23 tourney without NHL participation.

You are getting more hockey. Why is this bad? Because pros won't get to fulfill the Olympic Ideal of pure, amateur national competition? Have you read anything[/i] about the IOC in the last twenty years?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

1 hour ago, vman said:

I'd rather have a World Cup that's an actual World Cup, which means nations competing against each other, not pointless gimmicky teams created by the NHL. Simply make it a 10 or 12 team tournament to give it some legitimacy. There's next to zero buzz about this tournament, even here in Toronto, and absolutely no international interest whatsoever. If it's as big of a dud as it's shaping up to be, it will be another 12 years before they try to trot it out again, Olympics or not.  

Gotta start somewhere....

4 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

The plan is to have the Europe and U-23 teams be one-time deals, have all national teams for the next tournament, and eventually institute some sort of play-in structure for lower-ranked teams. In other words, a full-on world championship tournament. But I'm sure you'll still complain that you won't be able to see the world's best and brightest skating in Pyeongchang at 4:15am local time, even though the Olympics will still likely offer a very compelling U-23 tourney without NHL participation.

You are getting more hockey. Why is this bad? Because pros won't get to fulfill the Olympic Ideal of pure, amateur national competition? Have you read anything[/i] about the IOC in the last twenty years?

This is exactly how I look at it. I can deal with the Young Guns and the European Leftovers teams. But this could turn into a good world tournament every 4 years. I liked olympic hockey when it was amateurs so I will still watch that. Hell, I watch the World Juniors Championship every December. More international hockey, the better for me.

6 hours ago, jmac11281 said:

Ten would work. Twelve would be ideal. 

USA, Canada, Sweden, Finland, Russia, Czech Republic. Plus, I'm sure that teams from Slovakia, Switzerland, Austria, Germany, etc. could field competitive teams.

They can't, which is part of the reason why there is a team Europe.  There is truly only 6 top hockey countries and then there's everyone else.  That isn't to say the tournament shouldn't expand, but just don't expect those other countries to actually have a shot at winning this thing or even coming close.

8 minutes ago, M4One said:

They can't, which is part of the reason why there is a team Europe.  There is truly only 6 top hockey countries and then there's everyone else.  That isn't to say the tournament shouldn't expand, but just don't expect those other countries to actually have a shot at winning this thing or even coming close.

I wouldn't expect any of those teams that I mentioned to win or finish top 3 but they could at least be competitive. To be fair, Young Guns and European Leftovers have no shot either.

2 hours ago, jmac11281 said:

I wouldn't expect any of those teams that I mentioned to win or finish top 3 but they could at least be competitive. To be fair, Young Guns and European Leftovers have no shot either.

I don't know about those teams not having a chance. I think a lot of people are going to be surprised by the NAu23 team... I think they'll give the rest of the teams a run for their money, EVEN if they don't win...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

On 2016-08-19 at 4:31 PM, M4One said:

They can, that's why the Olympic quarterfinals had a bunch of teams that are not in this tournament but were competitive and entertaining. If the NHL want's a 6 nation tournament that's fine, but don't call it the World Cup, call it the Six Nation Cup, because the world is not there and doesn't care. Sure, there may be some occasional blowouts with more teams, but there were massive blowouts in the NBA Finals too, when only the best teams were on the court.

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, sparky chewbarky said:

Here's a couple of the uniforms "in action" from last night's game.

NA23's vs Europe...

12179863.jpg

Ugly and underwhelming... The young guns with so much focus on orange on their merchandise are particularly bland and lifeless...

Archived