2016 World Cup of Hockey

spartacat_12

Not the best matchup, but idk, I still kinda like the young guns look. If the numbers here were orange, it would be a bit more balanced.

Finland vs Sweden looked pretty good, I thought.

Although the NHL network with some really strange graphics decisions -- I don't have a picture of it, but they were using the Red crest from the Finland uni on a red background for Finland's "avatar" on their nhl tonight broadcast. of all colors to associate with finland.. red? come on now.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, coltravesty said:

I really like having helmets that don't match the white jerseys. Lets have some NHL teams with that look. Especially Red Wings, Leafs, Kings, Canadiens, Predators, NYR

The USA team also has white helmets for both sets. I think all the teams will only have one helmet for all the games. And Maybe the Kings and Preds would look good like that. The Red Wings would definitely not look good with a red helmet on the white jersey... 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

• 2 weeks later...

While I kinda like the North American black jerseys, they made a big mistake by not incorporating more orange into the white jersey.

cut.jpg

The logo looks like it doesn't belong. Even just replacing the silver trim on the numbers with orange would make for a vast improvement.

On 9/9/2016 at 9:00 AM, sparky chewbarky said:

Here's a couple of the uniforms "in action" from last night's game.

NA23's vs Europe...

12179863.jpg

Forgive me if I've missed something earlier in the thread, but has anybody else noticed that the pants being worn in this tournament don't have brand logos?  The gloves and helmets have the usual brand markings (CCM, Bauer, Warrior, etc.), but the pants are completely blank.  It's not that the players are just wearing plain pant shells over their regular pants. The photo above shows that there aren't the usual logos or markings on the hip pad section, which are above what a shell would cover.

Does anybody know why this is?  It's clear the manufacturers made some custom pieces for this tournament.  For example, all the Team NA gloves have the brand logo in the custom bright red-orange color.  Were they all also asked to provide non-branded pants?  If so, I wonder why.

10 hours ago, Sabres7200 said:

Forgive me if I've missed something earlier in the thread, but has anybody else noticed that the pants being worn in this tournament don't have brand logos?  The gloves and helmets have the usual brand markings (CCM, Bauer, Warrior, etc.), but the pants are completely blank.  It's not that the players are just wearing plain pant shells over their regular pants. The photo above shows that there aren't the usual logos or markings on the hip pad section, which are above what a shell would cover.

Does anybody know why this is?  It's clear the manufacturers made some custom pieces for this tournament.  For example, all the Team NA gloves have the brand logo in the custom bright red-orange color.  Were they all also asked to provide non-branded pants?  If so, I wonder why.

I assume it's something to do with the Adidas contract...not sure what though since gloves and such are branded.

My Uniform Rankings

1. Europe

2. Sweden

3. North America

4. Canada

5. Finland

6. USA

7. Russia

8. Czech Republic 

random thoughts:

- North America's radially arched nameplates are a cool touch. I wish an NHL team would give that a try.

- Canada's sleeve leaves (sleaves?) are one of my favorite elements on any jersey.

- Europe's numbers appear to have some faux gradient in them. Still my favorite set despite this, love that double blue plus teal working together.

- The USA uniforms are so bland, plus the adidas stripes. I'm really disappointed by them. Just nothing about them excites me as an American hockey fan to go out and purchase one of those. And I thought I didn't like the USA uniforms they wore in Sochi. Those look like some thought was put into them compared to these. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

5 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

really glad that CGI ad boards are just an ESPN deal.   Those can be really annoying.

Those CGI boards are showing up on Sportsnet, too.  And, they are probably here to stay for the NHL season.  I've been wondering if the boards are completely blank.

As for the jerseys, the more I see them, the more I feel that some of them just need a slight tweak or two to make them decent.  The placement of where the stripes/colours meet seem to be a little off for me.  I hate how low the socks on teams like Canada and Sweden are. 

18 minutes ago, M4One said:

Those CGI boards are showing up on Sportsnet, too.  And, they are probably here to stay for the NHL season.  I've been wondering if the boards are completely blank.

As for the jerseys, the more I see them, the more I feel that some of them just need a slight tweak or two to make them decent.  The placement of where the stripes/colours meet seem to be a little off for me.  I hate how low the socks on teams like Canada and Sweden are. 

Noticed that too- can someone confirm how they look in person? it'd be weird to just see blank boards inside of the arena at an nhl game.

13 minutes ago, elliott said:

Noticed that too- can someone confirm how they look in person? it'd be weird to just see blank boards inside of the arena at an nhl game.

I've noticed a couple of close up shots of faceoffs where you can see the actual in-arena ads. It makes sense though. The league/networks can sell rinks boards, while the venue is able to sell their own ads as well. 

Archived