2016 World Cup of Hockey

spartacat_12

5 hours ago, kiwi_canadian said:

Every hockey nation in the top division of the World Champs is sponsored by Nike, not just Canada and the US. Nike is a sponsor of the IIHF for all on ice jerseys as well as off ice gear. Hence why those countries, Olympics included, get Nike jerseys. The template is kept the same in the lower divisions but with Tackla brand.

As this is not a IIHF tournament, then they are free to go with whoever they want for a jersey maker and since this is a NHL/NHLPA event, it would make sense it is Adidas.

and something else I found interesting, when TSN interviewed the Canada GM, they had the Hockey Canada logo in the background. 

I saw, I came, I left.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow it's like a holiday!

So many new hockey jerseys to see in one day. Always fun.

Gotta disagree with the people who are disliking the Europe jerseys, although i totally understand the hate for them due to their bold nature and the split-down-the-middle thing, but it's a risky design choice that i think ends up looking kind of cool and certainly unique for hockey, and it reminds me of some soccer jerseys that i've liked in recent years. color scheme is about as good as it can get for such a team representing a bunch of nationalities. connects with EU, too.

Some of the textures are understated yet nice . the stitching on the sweden crown logos is a fun detail, and i find myself liking the pattern on the young-guns jersey. the color choice there overall for them makes them look rebellious and youthful, and the roman numerals are kind of bad-ass. 

TOTALLY agree with whoever said the USA missed an opportunity with making the adidas stripes look like the red-white stripes on the flag. Man that would have actually been a beautiful touch on the uniform. As they stand now, i kind of like the simplicity and the logo is nice, but those adidas stripes are jarring and out of place. I don't really mind them in a couple of the designs, because on TV, it will just look like a part of a subtle vertical striping element, like the alternating red/white adidas stripes depending on home/road for Canada, there I think it looks fine. USA kind of blew it there tho and they suck overall when they don't mesh with the rest of the uniform. Blechhhhh we are going to have to get used to adidas stripes.

Collars suck. Makes me wish for certain RBK edge collar templates and i don't find myself thinking edge designs are good very often. I guess we will be seeing these types of collars when adidas takes over for real in NHL :(

overall, when it comes to design direction, I mean flags of countries are simple and there's nothing wrong with some of these ultra-simple designs that go for color instead of complicated or modern striping. just makes it look like a classy event. the logo for the event is a joke, so super happy with how the uniforms turned out.

That NA23 jersey looks like it was designed by the "bitter clingin' proud clingers of our guns, our God and our religions." Nothing worse than camo, safety orange, and a meaningless logo of what I can't unsee as a Nazi-themed monogram. Is it A.N. ("Arian Nation?") or N.A. ("Not applicable")?

Can't wait to see Team Canada draxt and sklounce the "North America Juniors."

I'm already sick of Adidas jerseys. Hockey jerseys are supposed to have tail stripes, otherwise they look bare... Like these. Sometimes a uniforms looks ok without them, like Anaheim, Lady Liberty Jerseys, and these Russia jerseys. But everything else about these jerseys are really bad. The oddly colored collars, the dumb adidas stripes that cuts into the tail stripes. This is the World cup of HOCKEY, not soccer. We don't want your stupid 3 stripes. It's an ad on a jersey that should not have ads. I understand that it's a ridiculous tournament, but come on... At least make it respectable. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

4 hours ago, ICTknight said:

I can't decide if I like the Europe white jersey. I do love the logo. Hopfully they release shirts or something. Not sure if i want to go all in on a jersey.

Here you go. I love how they get way ahead of the game with "It features a trendy design with internationally recognizable World Cup of Hockey graphics". :lol: It reminds me of the stickers record labels would put on newly released albums saying "featuring the hits..." well before any of the songs were actual hits. 

euroteewc_zpskr6r9dcz.jpg

Back in 2014, Nike turned the Sochi Winter Olympics Hockey Tournament into a self-serving, experimental design-fest.

They treated the historic uniforms of proud hockey nations as if they were the garish garb of the Oregon Ducks, with fake laces,

shiny appliques, etc..

I blasted them for it here...S.O.S. by s.

There's a lot of "experimentation" going on here also, but, it seems OK in this tournament.

Adidas has pushed the envelope without going too overboard.

I hope I never again see some of the elements being tried-out here, (the Adidas side striping, the "noisy", muddy striping of the NAU-23's).

However, it's at a tournament like this, where you "try stuff out".

(I would argue that alt unis also serve that function of throwing some ideas out there and seeing how they fly).

Some of these uniforms look great...others...not-so-much...

But it's good to see some interesting new collar and shoulder treatments, some new colour combos, some new logos.

Overall, I'd say Adidas has done a fine job.

Anyone seen or have drawing mock ups of all the new WCH jerseys that look something like this Latvia picture below?  I've seen the pictures of the real jersey side by sides but I was hoping someone has done drawings like these for each jersey so I can use them in a tournament bracket that I'm creating.  If not, now worries.  I'll just use the logos instead.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b154/spyboy1/TSG%20Blog/Latvia2010.png 

So let me get this straight, this is Adidas entrance to the hockey market and THAT is how they introduce themselves? Crappy 3D mockups on social media? Curious decision. I've seen Nike put out a volt green jock strap with more pizzazz. Not everyone outside of our bubble knows that Reebok is an Adidas company, so to them this is a completely new company coming in and taking over to leave their mark on the NHL/International hockey circuit - they really laid a dud here. I know a couple people frequent these forums that have worked on this project, and I'm curious to hear their thoughts on the marketing side of yesterday.

Now for the designs, it's a mixed bag. Love the USA shield, really wished they would've used it on both jerseys. McCarthy hit the nail on the head with the "generic video game" line. That was my first thought. I don't mind the Three Stripes as much as I thought I would, probably because if they're going to go on a jersey anywhere, that's the least intrusive spot possible. Those back hem stripes though... why..... why. 

2 hours ago, ieatstaples said:

Designs aside, no jersey ads thus far.

That's because it's probably not going to happen. To the surprise of no one, leading international companies are not too eager to throw away money by advertising at a gimmicky fringe tournament watched by next to no one outside of Canada, while at the same time alienating the hockey traditionalists actually watching the thing by insulting the sanctity of ad-less jerseys in traditional North American sports. It doesn't help that they laughably want $8 million for the privilege either. Adidas didn't even bother posting anything about their new jerseys on their main Twitter feed, just the NA ones.

1 hour ago, TRoyConcepts said:

At this point, would ads even matter?

I get you're really not a big fan of these jerseys but the negative outcry over the World Cup jerseys having ads would have been astounding. People are so eager to hate Adidas (or just any type of change in general) so adding sponsored jersey ads would have been adding to the flames.

19 hours ago, TampaBayRays1fan said:

RIP 2016-2017 NHL jersey with the 3 strips on them looks awful 

Trust me, I don't think adidas will put three stripes on any of the 30 teams' uniforms. The brand's smarter than that. Look at NBA. 

4 hours ago, speedy said:

So let me get this straight, this is Adidas entrance to the hockey market and THAT is how they introduce themselves? Crappy 3D mockups on social media? Curious decision. I've seen Nike put out a volt green jock strap with more pizzazz. Not everyone outside of our bubble knows that Reebok is an Adidas company, so to them this is a completely new company coming in and taking over to leave their mark on the NHL/International hockey circuit - they really laid a dud here. I know a couple people frequent these forums that have worked on this project, and I'm curious to hear their thoughts on the marketing side of yesterday.

Now for the designs, it's a mixed bag. Love the USA shield, really wished they would've used it on both jerseys. McCarthy hit the nail on the head with the "generic video game" line. That was my first thought. I don't mind the Three Stripes as much as I thought I would, probably because if they're going to go on a jersey anywhere, that's the least intrusive spot possible. Those back hem stripes though... why..... why. 

adidas has been in the hockey game for quite a while now, considering how many colleges they make jerseys for. usa's shield logo they use now (for the dev program) is perfectly fine. also, adidas's jersey trademark is the three stripes. if you dont like it, dont buy the jerseys.

all that aside, the collars are really bothering me.

16 hours ago, @axpze said:

That NA23 jersey looks like it was designed by the "bitter clingin' proud clingers of our guns, our God and our religions." Nothing worse than camo, safety orange, and a meaningless logo of what I can't unsee as a Nazi-themed monogram. Is it A.N. ("Arian Nation?") or N.A. ("Not applicable")?

Can't wait to see Team Canada draxt and sklounce the "North America Juniors."

It is too similar to be a coincidence.  I'm not understanding the orange and graphite(?) colors.  

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

1 hour ago, Needschat said:

And I'm surprised no one at adidas caught it.  I'm surprised they've allowed it to go forward.  

The Aryan Nation thing? Come on. What's more probable? That it's an honest oversight or that Adidias and the NHL (run by Gary "I couldn't be any more Jewish if I were Moses himself" Bettman) are conspiring to subliminally push a white supremacist/neo-Nazi agenda?

Look, I know obsessing over logos and combing over the finer details is what we do here, but this is taking things to a ridiculous level. 

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

The Aryan Nation thing? Come on. What's more probable? That it's an honest oversight or that Adidias and the NHL (run by Gary "I couldn't be any more Jewish if I were Moses himself" Bettman) are conspiring to subliminally push a white supremacist/neo-Nazi agenda?

Look, I know obsessing over logos and combing over the finer details is what we do here, but this is taking things to a ridiculous level.

Optics are not good.  

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Archived