2015 Pro Football Hall of Fame

Evil G

Why would they do that?

It would be tying in the return of the Rams to LA with a celebration of the franchise's past. That's the kind of :censored: the NFL's media advisers would go gaga over.
But the NFL's media advisors don't determine who goes into the hall of fame. Neither does the NFL, for that matter.

It would make a good story, to be sure, but I don't see the Hall doing it on purpose.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would they do that?

It would be tying in the return of the Rams to LA with a celebration of the franchise's past. That's the kind of :censored: the NFL's media advisers would go gaga over.
But the NFL's media advisors don't determine who goes into the hall of fame. Neither does the NFL, for that matter.

It would make a good story, to be sure, but I don't see the Hall doing it on purpose.

"The NFL wants you media members to vote the following players into the hall this year or you can consider yourself blacklisted for the next 3 years."

Media hordes: .....yes

"Yes, what?"

"Yes, Gokujin-sama"

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Since it's the "Pro Football Hall of Fame," I never understood why Kurt Warner was "borderline." If his records and going to three Super Bowls -- with the Rams and Cardinals no less -- and winning one isn't enough, his success in the other pro leagues could justify putting him over the edge. Unique story.

Since it's the "Pro Football Hall of Fame," I never understood why Kurt Warner was "borderline." If his records and going to three Super Bowls -- with the Rams and Cardinals no less -- and winning one isn't enough, his success in the other pro leagues could justify putting him over the edge. Unique story.

What about Doug Flutie and his success in the CFL? He didn't do much in the NFL besides his run with the bills in 99 but did have success in the CFL though.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Yeah... no.

This year alone should have disabused you of any notion that media types, especially beat writers, exercise any independence from what the NFL wants nowadays.

Granted that's primarily because the league holds all of the cards. Newspapers would love to have an excuse to RIF or buyout a long term beat writer.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

What about Doug Flutie and his success in the CFL? He didn't do much in the NFL besides his run with the bills in 99 but did have success in the CFL though.

The poster boy for this?

Herschel Walker.

Combine his USFL and NFL stats, and you stagger at the thought that he's never even been a finalist.

nav-logo.png

The Class has officially been announced

• Jerome Bettis
  • Tim Brown
  • Charles Haley
  • Junior Seau
  • Will Shields
  • Mick Tinglehoff (senior)
  • Bill Polian (contributor)
  • Ron Wolf (contributor)

It's debatable whether Kurt Warner got snubbed or not, but overall I think it's a pretty good class. I'm happy Bettis got in.

Good day for Husker fans - TWO former offensive linemen both inducted in this class.

To the comment about not knowing Shields, like others stated he started every single game of his pro career except the very first of his rookie season. At his retirement, he was second on the "Cal Ripkin Attendance List" behind only Brett Favre. He was also the Walter Payton Man of the Year in '03.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Yeah... no.

This year alone should have disabused you of any notion that media types, especially beat writers, exercise any independence from what the NFL wants nowadays.

Granted that's primarily because the league holds all of the cards. Newspapers would love to have an excuse to RIF or buyout a long term beat writer.

National media outlets, sure. But beyond that, yeah... no.

But even presuming for fun that your massive conspiracy theory is correct. Why on Earth would the NFL want to delay St. Louis Rams players going into the Hall of Fame until the franchise moves to LA? There will already be a ton of hoopla in California, and I doubt anyone there will care at all about the Greatest Show on Turf players. That era will quickly be forgotten by the fans in LA, no more relevant than Crazy Legs Hirsch or Deacon Jones.

On the contrary, putting them in the Hall now could stir the fanbase in St. Louis and bring them to the Dome this year, helping to avoid a lame-duck desertion as we all presume the team's leaving in a year. A renewed fanbase would also be able to exert more pressure on local politicians to get the new stadium built. A win-win regardless of what you think the league and team's motivations are right now.

So again, why on Earth would they deliberately keep Pace and Warner out another year?

Will Shields is also a deserving lineman. I have no idea about Warner though.

I'm saying next year will be something like

• Brett Favre
  • Marvin Harrison
  • Orlando Pace
  • Tony Dungy
  • Morten Andersen?

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

Will Shields is also a deserving lineman. I have no idea about Warner though.

I'm saying next year will be something like

• Brett Favre
  • Marvin Harrison
  • Orlando Pace
  • Tony Dungy
  • Morten Andersen?

Favre should be automatic next year, for sure.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I know as a Viking fan, I'm biased, but it's about damn time Mick Tinglehoff got in. One of the best two or three centers of his era. Nice to see.

Agreed - and I'm not biased. He was one of the best centers of his era. And it is about time. As for the rest of the class, I can't say I agree with any of them.

I was thinking you may have meant "argue" rather than "agree" but later posts say otherwise.

That surprises me. I came here to defend them but you do have a point on a couple. Tim Brown is fringe and Bettis, while he amassed good career numbers, did so through longevity and a lot of carries...that 3.9 career average per carry really stands out. I like Shields and Seau but the other three are borderline (though Haley has 5 Super Bowls, so he's the G.O.A.T)

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Yeah... no.

National media outlets, sure. But beyond that, yeah... no.

But even presuming for fun that your massive conspiracy theory is correct. Why on Earth would the NFL want to delay St. Louis Rams players going into the Hall of Fame until the franchise moves to LA? There will already be a ton of hoopla in California, and I doubt anyone there will care at all about the Greatest Show on Turf players. That era will quickly be forgotten by the fans in LA, no more relevant than Crazy Legs Hirsch or Deacon Jones.

On the contrary, putting them in the Hall now could stir the fanbase in St. Louis and bring them to the Dome this year, helping to avoid a lame-duck desertion as we all presume the team's leaving in a year. A renewed fanbase would also be able to exert more pressure on local politicians to get the new stadium built. A win-win regardless of what you think the league and team's motivations are right now.

So again, why on Earth would they deliberately keep Pace and Warner out another year?

As I mentioned in the relocation thread....

1) Getting people into the EJD for Rams games next season will not be too much of a problem regardless of the Rams' lame duck status. Granted they will be cheering for the other team, but Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Seattle, and San Fran all travel well.

2) This will come as a shock to some, but perhaps the NFL doesn't see St. Louis as a "must have" or even "nice to have" market. Or at least it assumes that St. Louis' footprint is sufficiently covered by other teams.

So no, stimulating the fans is not necessary.

Today, we are all otaku.

IF there were a conspiracy involved here, it'd be that the powers that be were keeping Pace and Warner out so as to avoid a celebration day for them next year, which would bring more Rams fans to those games. That makes it harder to blame the fan base.

But, even I, ever willing to believe in an NFL conspiracy (I think there may have been more dirt to the Patriots SB win over the Rams than simply spying), find this pretty much impossible to believe.

The voters made the choices, and that's all there is to it.

I think Kurt Warner didn't get in because there's an impressive number of deserving players waiting to get in. And I think Orlando Pace didn't get in because the voters are some combination of idiots and backroom dealmakers.

But a conspiracy involving the future of the Rams franchise? Nah. Another completely coincidental kick in the teeth to Rams fans? Yeah, there's that.

That doesn't comport with their public statements in soft support of the new stadium. They're stoking the fires of public financing for their own reasons; they obviously aren't willing at this particular moment to abandon the market.

If St. Louis is going to pull a Glendale, the arithmetic might change, but that's it.

I suspect the soft support is to keep open the possibility of a Glendale, and to avert any "Ramsgate" type narrative about the team's departure.

Today, we are all otaku.

• 1 month later...

I know as a Viking fan, I'm biased, but it's about damn time Mick Tinglehoff got in. One of the best two or three centers of his era. Nice to see.

Agreed - and I'm not biased. He was one of the best centers of his era. And it is about time. As for the rest of the class, I can't say I agree with any of them.

I was thinking you may have meant "argue" rather than "agree" but later posts say otherwise.

That surprises me. I came here to defend them but you do have a point on a couple. Tim Brown is fringe and Bettis, while he amassed good career numbers, did so through longevity and a lot of carries...that 3.9 career average per carry really stands out. I like Shields and Seau but the other three are borderline (though Haley has 5 Super Bowls, so he's the G.O.A.T)

Jerome Bettis did have the same average per carry as John Riggins, and Bettis was a larger and slower back. In fact, without the speed other backs had, it's not surprising Bettis didn't own a higher ypc, he simply was unable to rip off the chunks of yardage others did. But few backs in the HOF were as effective in converting third down and short situations, it's too bad offical stats aren't available in that category. Bettis is in the top six in career yardage, and top five in career 100 yard games, and played a key role in a winning franchise, so I think the voters got it right.

Archived