Super Bowl XLIX Field

sportsfan0518

Love the natural grass. Hate games played on that field turf stuff, where the painted endzones/logos always look washed out by kickoff.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand now after the halftime show the Pats endzone looks 25% washed out!! LOL

Oh yeah, NE with a red endzone would have been great. Heck, just outlining the word mark in red would be cool.

I could be seeing things, but the Patriots endzone looks more royal than it does navy.

Yeah agree. Does it match their dark blue pants? Or it is trying to match their blue jerseys, which they aren't even wearing?? LOL

NFL probably just bought one color of blue for both endzones. haha

Colorwerx posted the swatches at some point since the conference championships... I'm pretty sure both teams use the same navy and same WOLF GRAY.

I could be seeing things, but the Patriots endzone looks more royal than it does navy.

It looked like a lighter color because the grass was showing through. I don't know if it's because they use a different kind of paint or if the groundskeepers are just half-assing it, but I see bad paint jobs on fields like that all the time now. The Carolina Panthers are the worst offenders. You never used to see the grass through the paint.

Is it possible the paint jobs on a lot of these Super Bowl end zones have always been so-so and we just see them more clearly now with better cameras and high-definition TV?

Also: Big thumbs-up for the decision to play with the roof open. The natural light on the field during the first half made for a great visual. Looking forward to the same next year in the Bay Area.

I posted this over in the Concept Forum regarding the field in last nights game:

Yep, the natural grass made the field/logos look pretty good. Hate the SB fields with that field turf crap, the paint looks so washed out so quickly (Seahawks/Broncos, Ravens/49ers). What a novel concept....playing football outside on natural grass!!

Loved the big shield, and the SB logos look good too.

Loved the natural sunlight coming into the stadium too. SMART decision, whoever decided on it.

Only issue for me was the endzones.

^^^^

Ever see the Eagles try and do a black endzone?? Awful, LOL. Looks they do one coat and say 'Ok we're done here'. Now granted, they only do it once a year maybe, but damn, it's still pathetic.

I don't know if it gets much worse than the Panthers.

RstCHj2.jpg

fjQr0Fs.jpg

I think the Eagles' black endzones have been much worse than the Panthers. They normally start doing it after the Arm-Navy game, to cover up the letters from those teams. But not only do they do an awful paint job, but they only color a block in the center of the endzone black, instead of doing the whole endzone. It's poorly done as well as half-assed.

EDIT: It looks like the past two years the Eagles colored the entire endzone and done a respectable job of it. Maybe they replaced the former groundskeeper, I don't know.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Just off the top of mah head, some teams I don't want in the SB because I think their endzones suck or would suck:

Colts

Giants

Cowboys

Panthers

Lions

Rams

Seahawks

Bills

I'm sick of blue!!!

When the Panthers were in the SB, their end zone was black.

When the Rams made it in the 1999 season, it was yellow. Depending on what their uniform change may be, that might happen again if they make it.

Go A's!

Just off the top of mah head, some teams I don't want in the SB because I think their endzones suck or would suck:

Colts

Giants

Cowboys

Panthers

Lions

Rams

Seahawks

Bills

I'm sick of blue!!!

When the Panthers were in the SB, their end zone was black.

When the Rams made it in the 1999 season, it was yellow. Depending on what their uniform change may be, that might happen again if they make it.

When the Rams played in 2001, the endzone was navy.

I'd say unless the Rams go back to blue and yellow, we're stuck with navy for their endzone.

Maybe they could do the Bills' in red, like it used to be at Ralph Wilson.

The Lions and Colts wouldn't be too bad, since they're not navy, and they each have a nice shade of blue. The Colts looked good when they played the Saints a few years back.

I think the biggest problem with playing a Super Bowl on turf is that the logos and endzone are painted, as opposed to being part of the material. When done correctly, turf fields can look pretty good. The biggest issue I have with grass is that, as the game goes on, the field gets worn and the dirt beneath begins to show through (especially a problem in the rain).

Archived