Ask A Moderator

5 hours ago, Mingjai said:

Also, if there is already a topic for this, please point me in the right direction so I can make my opinion known there.

6 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Your post was merged with the appropriate topic. 

One where this issue was already addressed.

On 8/21/2019 at 9:44 AM, LMU said:

It was done since it was getting to the point that recent news discussions were buried under dozens of "what's your favorite one-off minor league team name" and "I just noticed this about a uniform from 1967" threads.

• Like 1

VmWIn6B.png

I'm not sure why that's a problem though?

Popular posts are popular. Seems like the system was working as designed?

• Like 7

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

5 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

At the very least, a fantasy-style separation would be best for the two sections.

The problem is that the section is already “Sports Logos.” So, you'd have to go Sports Logos -> Sports Logos -> Sports Logos News. That, and if it was done like fantasy the two main sections of the board would be downplayed like FanFic was and the Logolympiad is.

This is also a revenue issue. News stories bring people from the mothership, increasing traffic and ad sales. News stories being buried by pages of “what teams wear chartreuse” threads is counterproductive.

• Like 4

VmWIn6B.png

Folks, it’s adding a click or two. It’s not like finding a thread suddenly became more difficult than piloting the space shuttle. We’ve survived bigger changes than this. It might take a little getting used to, but I promise it will all work out. 

• Like 5

BB52Big.jpg

1 hour ago, Cosmic said:

It's not horrible enough that it demands an immediate return; we should at least give it a few months.

True, but the loudest voices at the moment would indicate that it isn't useful.

I agree with those voices.

• Like 3

It's where I sit.

16 hours ago, LMU said:

The problem is that the section is already “Sports Logos.” So, you'd have to go Sports Logos -> Sports Logos -> Sports Logos News. That, and if it was done like fantasy the two main sections of the board would be downplayed like FanFic was and the Logolympiad is.

This is also a revenue issue. News stories bring people from the mothership, increasing traffic and ad sales. News stories being buried by pages of “what teams wear chartreuse” threads is counterproductive.

Except that wasn't really happening - or, at least the 'last updated' dates on the threads in 'general discussion' would indicate that.  Not sure anyone was missing out on discussion of NFL uniforms (which, one could argue, falls into the category of 'general discussion' since a lot of it is not around actual or announced changes, but more... well, general discussion) because the entire community was bumping a thread about chartreuse.

What's the exact rule over what goes in one vs the other? It seems obvious, but it's really not.  I don't see anything in General that belongs in News, but some of what's in News could also qualify for General.

Agreed with a previous post that this isn't worth fighting about too much and in a month we'll probably be used to it, it just seems unnecessary, as the reasons given don't (at least to those of us without the inside knowledge) don't seem to have actually been happening, and now creates another forum to have to go back and browse, vs the one-stop shopping we've enjoyed for years.

EDIT: some specific examples -

• some guy designs his own unofficial Fighting Hawks logo - is that really 'news'?  It's not a real sports-team logo.
  • LA Clippers might change logo.  There's no real news there to discuss, as nothing has been announced, and there's no designs to discuss.
  • Mega Threads often contain pages of us just 'discussing' things like gray facemasks, rather than actual 'news'.
  • Seattle Brand Discussion - granted there's some news regarding name votes, but nothing tangible.  It's more 'general discussion'.
  • High-School football?
  • Inverted football jerseys?  That's basically an advertisement, not 'sports logos news', since it has nothing to do with anything that will ever see the field.

• Like 9

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 8/31/2019 at 11:55 AM, BringBackTheVet said:

Except that wasn't really happening - or, at least the 'last updated' dates on the threads in 'general discussion' would indicate that.  Not sure anyone was missing out on discussion of NFL uniforms (which, one could argue, falls into the category of 'general discussion' since a lot of it is not around actual or announced changes, but more... well, general discussion) because the entire community was bumping a thread about chartreuse.

What's the exact rule over what goes in one vs the other? It seems obvious, but it's really not.  I don't see anything in General that belongs in News, but some of what's in News could also qualify for General.

Agreed with a previous post that this isn't worth fighting about too much and in a month we'll probably be used to it, it just seems unnecessary, as the reasons given don't (at least to those of us without the inside knowledge) don't seem to have actually been happening, and now creates another forum to have to go back and browse, vs the one-stop shopping we've enjoyed for years.

EDIT: some specific examples -

• some guy designs his own unofficial Fighting Hawks logo - is that really 'news'?  It's not a real sports-team logo.
  • LA Clippers might change logo.  There's no real news there to discuss, as nothing has been announced, and there's no designs to discuss.
  • Mega Threads often contain pages of us just 'discussing' things like gray facemasks, rather than actual 'news'.
  • Seattle Brand Discussion - granted there's some news regarding name votes, but nothing tangible.  It's more 'general discussion'.
  • High-School football?
  • Inverted football jerseys?  That's basically an advertisement, not 'sports logos news', since it has nothing to do with anything that will ever see the field.

I agree with this. General discussion is broad enough that anything, including news, qualifies. But in the news forum there is plenty of discussion goes beyond simply news and should be put under general discussion. It’s hard to draw a distinction between the two. 

A better solution would be to go back to the combined forum and allow topics to be tagged as either “News” or “General” and add the ability to filter along those two broad categories. If for some reason someone wants to filter on one or the other they can do so, otherwise if they want to view the two together, they can also do that. 

• Like 5

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

How do you decide what’s discussion and what’s news, what about discussion over news? And why is a topic called Los Angeles NFL Brand Discussion in the news section? I just think it’s a little arbitrary, not bad but just kinda what’s the point.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

It’s news if it involves a confirmed, upcoming change. Rams are confirmed to change after this season, so it’s news.

General discussion is for unsubstantiated rumors, trends, observations of existing/past uniforms, and the dozens of “what’s your (least) favorite _________” threads.

VmWIn6B.png

3 hours ago, LMU said:

It’s news if it involves a confirmed, upcoming change. Rams are confirmed to change after this season, so it’s news.

General discussion is for unsubstantiated rumors, trends, observations of existing/past uniforms, and the dozens of “what’s your (least) favorite _________” threads.

Are Clippers conformed to be making a change?

By that definition, the examples I posted would belong in 'discussion'... no?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 9/3/2019 at 8:18 PM, Sec19Row53 said:

I've been re-directed to a WalMart phantom ad twice on page 43 of the NHL Changes thread.

Are we still trying to report these? 

Yes, please report any bad ads you come across. They won't go away if they aren't reported. Link to the form is in this thread, but you will need the URL of the ad.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, gek_6 said:

Someone please help:

How do I upload a photo to a thread???

My only options are:

1. Choose existing

2. Choose from URL

Those are the only two options. 

You'll have to use a free, image hosting site, like Imuger.

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.