Recommended Posts

Can anyone explain how the "Leaderboard" likes get added up? I've had some days with many likes that never seem to crack the list. It's one of those "I don't really care, but I wanna know" situations because looking through the lists it seems like the same people are on there constantly with similar totals as if they just like each others' stuff over and over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, hettinger_rl said:

Can anyone explain how the "Leaderboard" likes get added up?

It just calculates totals, and it rolls over. So the "Month" leader board is, for example, based on the number of likes from that day going back a month. So sometimes you see the boards change radically.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

It just calculates totals, and it rolls over. So the "Month" leader board is, for example, based on the number of likes from that day going back a month. So sometimes you see the boards change radically.

That's odd, because by my count I've had 85 likes, in my most recent concept thread, just since 9/4/19. And the top of the "Popular Content" area is 25 since 8/19/19.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, hettinger_rl said:

That's odd, because by my count I've had 85 likes, in my most recent concept thread, just since 9/4/19. And the top of the "Popular Content" area is 25 since 8/19/19.

That’s per post, not thread

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dont care said:

That’s per post, not thread

If that is the case then I have 28 on one post in the same time period. And the top of the "Popular Content" area is 25 since 8/19/19.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, hettinger_rl said:

That's odd, because by my count I've had 85 likes, in my most recent concept thread, just since 9/4/19. And the top of the "Popular Content" area is 25 since 8/19/19.

The popular content area? I'm just going off the leader board.

 

As for your other concerns? I'm 100% positive there's no conspiracy to keep you off a liked post leaderboard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

The popular content area? I'm just going off the leader board.

 

As for your other concerns? I'm 100% positive there's no conspiracy to keep you off a liked post leaderboard. 

Take about 30% off there Ice_Cap.

No one is talking conspiracy. Just trying to navigate the mystery that is likes calculation. Don't come at me all snarky just because no one seems to be able to answer how this calculation occurs.

In order to reach the popular content section one does have to select the leaderboard tab that is at the top of the board betwixt the activity and calendar tabs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, hettinger_rl said:

Don't come at me all snarky just because no one seems to be able to answer how this calculation occurs.

I was chosen as a mod because it was believed I could do a good job ensuring that we as a community stayed at the standards Chris and others have set. I think I've done a pretty good job on that front.

I am not, however, an expert in Invision forum technology. That's never been my "job" here. So no, I don't know how the calculation occurs, but your tone here has been kind of accusatory and that's what I'm responding to.

 

6 hours ago, hettinger_rl said:

If that is the case then I have 28 on one post in the same time period. And the top of the "Popular Content" area is 25 since 8/19/19.

So I found what you're referring to. When you click the "show more" button at the bottom of the bottom of the leader board. Thing is that list is flawed. I just clicked it and it says that the most popular post since 31 August 2009 is one by Pengin on 6 April 2018, with 52 likes. And the second most popular one is the one by jmatt116 on 4 August 2017 with 38 likes.

 

HNFt2gY.png

 

And yet a post I made on 14 September 2019 has 52 likes.

https://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/120403-rumor-buccaneers-to-get-new-uniforms/?do=findComment&comment=3033235

That should be up there with Pengin's post but it isn't so 🤷‍♂️I donno. The only explanation I can give is that the expanded "most liked content" list is flawed. Again, I'm not the most tech-savvy in such matters but I would think ignoring the "show more button" and going off of the leader board is probably more accurate, though I can't say for certain.

 

YsU8BWe.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

I was chosen as a mod because it was believed I could do a good job ensuring that we as a community stayed at the standards Chris and others have set. I think I've done a pretty good job on that front.

I am not, however, an expert in Invision forum technology. That's never been my "job" here. So no, I don't know how the calculation occurs, but your tone here has been kind of accusatory and that's what I'm responding to.

 

So I found what you're referring to. When you click the "show more" button at the bottom of the bottom of the leader board. Thing is that list is flawed. I just clicked it and it says that the most popular post since 31 August 2009 is one by Pengin on 6 April 2018, with 52 likes. And the second most popular one is the one by jmatt116 on 4 August 2017 with 38 likes.

 

HNFt2gY.png

 

And yet a post I made on 14 September 2019 has 52 likes.

https://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/120403-rumor-buccaneers-to-get-new-uniforms/?do=findComment&comment=3033235

That should be up there with Pengin's post but it isn't so 🤷‍♂️I donno. The only explanation I can give is that the expanded "most liked content" list is flawed. Again, I'm not the most tech-savvy in such matters but I would think ignoring the "show more button" and going off of the leader board is probably more accurate, though I can't say for certain.

 

YsU8BWe.png

 

I can see where it may have seemed accusatory, but it was just "confused-atory." I just thought that something was off in the calculations.

Thank you for looking past the tone of the posts and digging into it and finding an answer. Now I know that there IS something off in the calculations.

Never tried to devalue your title. You and the other mods do a good job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hettinger_rl said:

I can see where it may have seemed accusatory, but it was just "confused-atory." I just thought that something was off in the calculations.

Thank you for looking past the tone of the posts and digging into it and finding an answer. Now I know that there IS something off in the calculations.

Never tried to devalue your title. You and the other mods do a good job.

It's all cool. My frustration just came from people assuming mods know forum software. We often don't. We know how to use it for various things, but how it works? That's best left up to Administration.

I'm glad I could help 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, hettinger_rl said:

Take about 30% off there Ice_Cap.

No one is talking conspiracy. Just trying to navigate the mystery that is likes calculation. Don't come at me all snarky just because no one seems to be able to answer how this calculation occurs.

In order to reach the popular content section one does have to select the leaderboard tab that is at the top of the board betwixt the activity and calendar tabs.

 

You can look up the daily numbers too. That’s probably where you’ll find what you’re looking for. Try this...https://boards.sportslogos.net/pastleaders/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if you guys can figure this one out either, but going along on the "How the Leaderboard works?" train, is there a reputation threshold to even be considered on the leaderboard?  I'm not trying to be egotistical here, but I escaped my lurking and occasional Concepts posting and made a splash in the News forum (for better or for worse) and I'm still nowhere to be found in the leaderboard even though my M barley study got 11 likes.  It seems like only the big names of the board get put on the leaderboard, any confirmation to that theory?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, packerfan21396 said:

Not sure if you guys can figure this one out either, but going along on the "How the Leaderboard works?" train, is there a reputation threshold to even be considered on the leaderboard?  I'm not trying to be egotistical here, but I escaped my lurking and occasional Concepts posting and made a splash in the News forum (for better or for worse) and I'm still nowhere to be found in the leaderboard even though my M barley study got 11 likes.  It seems like only the big names of the board get put on the leaderboard, any confirmation to that theory?

 

I don't think so. No offence, but 11 likes is rarely going to crack the leaderboard. The rolling weekly one on the front page, #5 today is 91 likes. If you click on "Show More" under that, or on the Leaderboard tab at the top of the page, you can do a custom date search, and on Sunday when you had 11 likes, the top 4 were between 37 and 45 apiece. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, packerfan21396 said:

Not sure if you guys can figure this one out either, but going along on the "How the Leaderboard works?" train, is there a reputation threshold to even be considered on the leaderboard?  I'm not trying to be egotistical here, but I escaped my lurking and occasional Concepts posting and made a splash in the News forum (for better or for worse) and I'm still nowhere to be found in the leaderboard even though my M barley study got 11 likes.  It seems like only the big names of the board get put on the leaderboard, any confirmation to that theory?

 

The reputation thing is based on liked posts. 11 might get you on the daily list, but you are not coming close to the weekly or overall list with that number. Usually, the weekly list leader has between 80-120 (or more) likes on a post or posts. With regard to the overall - career list, if you will - you're currently at 308. To give you an example, my "career" number is 5,671 and I'm not even in shouting distance of the top 10 or whatever it is.

 

Basically, to get where you looking to get, keep posting good stuff, I guess. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess I should've been clearer, I meant I'm no where to be found on the daily leaderboard, even in the list under the top 4.

5YwbK3F.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, packerfan21396 said:

I guess I should've been clearer, I meant I'm no where to be found on the daily leaderboard, even in the list under the top 4.

5YwbK3F.png

 

Honestly, it’s not worth worrying about. The numbers are meaningless. Did you get all 11 likes in a 24 hour period? If not, then it’s not going to show up. For example, if 6 likes were before midnight and 5 were after midnight, the likes will be spread over the two days. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know, I'm not too worried, just wanted to see if you guys had any insight.  I think it was about 9 before midnight, 2 after; I'm not sure.  I just see 1 like posts at the bottom bottom of the list and was just wondering why they were there where mine and other posts aren't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, packerfan21396 said:

I guess I should've been clearer, I meant I'm no where to be found on the daily leaderboard, even in the list under the top 4.

5YwbK3F.png

I would ask that you read this post....
 

The top 5 leader board seems more or less reliable, but the "show more" option has plenty of omissions that should be there.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

I would ask that you read this post....
 

The top 5 leader board seems more or less reliable, but the "show more" option has plenty of omissions that should be there.

 

Fair enough, I guess you did answer my question earlier.  I just thought I might have cracked the code with a reputation point threshold, and was wondering if any of you knew something about that.  But, @officeglenn addressed that theory, so the mystery continues...  Thanks guys, keep up the good work!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, packerfan21396 said:

I know, I'm not too worried, just wanted to see if you guys had any insight.  I think it was about 9 before midnight, 2 after; I'm not sure.  I just see 1 like posts at the bottom bottom of the list and was just wondering why they were there where mine and other posts aren't.

 

I gave it my best shot based on what little I know about how it works. As Ice_Cap pointed out, most of the mods have no idea how the forums software and coding works. You might try asking one of the admins about it.

 

But like I said, those numbers don't really mean anything in the first place. Sure, it's kinda cool to "win the day" or see yourself on the weekly leader board, but other than that, it does exactly nothing for your actual reputation around here. Frankly, I wish it were called something else because calling it "reputation" gives it way more importance than it actually has. Anyway, if we can help with anything else, don't hesitate to ask. Wish we could have given you a better answer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites