Ask A Moderator

15 hours ago, goalieboy82 said:

i know the board you cant have more then one account, but to post something on the sportslogos news site do i have to use my board name or can i use something else (i know i have one already for that site, but i forget which one i used (and the password).  i posted something on there today (i logged in with my facebook name)

The forums and the comments on the mothership are two separate things. You don't have to use the same username for both if you don't want to. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, officeglenn said:

The forums and the comments on the mothership are two separate things. You don't have to use the same username for both if you don't want to. 

i figured that but wanted to make sure.

so long and thanks for all the fish.

• 5 months later...

I apologize if moderators here don't like this sort of thing, but I was editing some stuff on my profile, and I noticed the gender options don't make a whole lot of sense. I don't wanna make a big stink out of this, I am just trying to give a suggestion or two, but I don't quite understand why Transgender Male/Female are separated from just Male/Female, well another option is just Gender Non Conforming. Personally, I would prefer if Male/Female were just that, no need to specify if the user is Trans, but I also get that a lot of times in life you need to specify what your assigned sex at birth is and that it's fairly standard. But what I don't get is why the option is GNC, as, well there are some people who identify as that, it's much more of a description then it is the proper term for people who are Non-Binary, which is what I assume Non Conforming is the stand in for a 3rd gender option. I think if you're going to go with more legal standard terms, then you should use Non-Binary (or Third Gender or even just an X).

Again, I am not trying to cause a big stink over this, it's just something I found interesting and potentially worth changing if moderators here are interested in such a thing.

• Like 3
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

13 hours ago, SailorOfSilence102 said:

I apologize if moderators here don't like this sort of thing, but I was editing some stuff on my profile, and I noticed the gender options don't make a whole lot of sense. I don't wanna make a big stink out of this, I am just trying to give a suggestion or two, but I don't quite understand why Transgender Male/Female are separated from just Male/Female, well another option is just Gender Non Conforming. Personally, I would prefer if Male/Female were just that, no need to specify if the user is Trans, but I also get that a lot of times in life you need to specify what your assigned sex at birth is and that it's fairly standard. But what I don't get is why the option is GNC, as, well there are some people who identify as that, it's much more of a description then it is the proper term for people who are Non-Binary, which is what I assume Non Conforming is the stand in for a 3rd gender option. I think if you're going to go with more legal standard terms, then you should use Non-Binary (or Third Gender or even just an X).

Again, I am not trying to cause a big stink over this, it's just something I found interesting and potentially worth changing if moderators here are interested in such a thing.

This is a fair critique, and I appreciate you bringing it to our attention. Looking at the back end, we can add and delete options from that particular profile field. Here's what I'm thinking to change it to, but I'll open it up here for feedback:

• Female
  • Male
  • Non-binary
  • Prefer not to say

Also, would people like to see a "pronouns" field added?

Edited by officeglenn
  • Like 5
  • Dislike 1

25 minutes ago, officeglenn said:

This is a fair critique, and I appreciate you bringing it to our attention. Looking at the back end, we can add and delete options from that particular profile field. Here's what I'm thinking to change it to, but I'll open it up here for feedback:

• Female
  • Male
  • Non-binary
  • Prefer not to say

I like those options, personally, and I'm 100% for a pronoun field.

• Like 6

the user formerly known as cdclt

37 minutes ago, officeglenn said:

• Female
  • Male
  • Non-binary
  • Prefer not to say

Thank you for the response, those options look good (though, I do like the tongue and cheek aspect of Not Telling lol), and I think a pronouns option makes sense. 

• Like 3
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

Since we are here, I'd like to put in a vote for not listing any gender of any kind.  I appreciate all-inclusiveness and all, but I don't see why it matters on a board like this one.  

Good logo design, good discussion on issues, good anything in sports, should not be relegated based on a gender.  In the public forum (life), we've seen all manner of people be good at running businesses, playing different sports, being sports broadcasters, etc.

I guess I get if this were a board discussing something like medical issues, how knowing a person's gender/preferred identification is relevant.  But I think sports crosses boundaries, as does logo design, as does cooking, etc.  And I would hope/think/feel we don't need to care about one's background as a person to know if an opinion is valid based on the topic at hand, or the facts present in the public space.  We know (or should know) when to accept criticism/dismiss criticism of an idea, concept, etc.

Sports in general, and design takes all kinds.  (Remember the movie, What Women Want with Mel Gibson, Helen Hunt).  Men, Women, and non-binary (for those who identify as such) should be able to have differing opinions, and do it with civility.

In every discussion I've ever had on this board, I never felt that my sense of self (identification) was ever relevant, regardless of if my opinion was respected or not, or right or wrong.  Hopefully, that is something we can all agree on.

• Like 2
  • Applause 4

spacer.png  5-time Defending NL East Champions spacer.png 

On 4/22/2023 at 4:38 PM, officeglenn said:

Just my opinion, but I think there is too much potential for problems.  I wish I could say it wouldn't be an issue in our community and that no one would use it as reason to cause trouble or attack people, but I know better. This isn't exactly a political issue, but it has a lot of the same pitfalls that we've seen with politics over the years. I could be wrong, but I'm probably not.

• Like 8

BB52Big.jpg

Sex/Gender has been an option on message boards as long as I've been visiting them. I'm fine with modifying the field to have "Male," "Female," "Non-binary," and "Prefer Not to Say" options. 

But I really don't think a pronouns field is necessary, or warranted. 

• Like 1

That's fair, and I understand. I wasn't trying to impose on anyone or on a forum, especially one that I'm new too, I was just curious about the wording and terminology. Sorry to anyone who wanted the gender option to stay. 

• Like 1

If there were to be a pronouns field, it would make more sense for it to be in the area where the avatars are (in place of or in addition to "member title") since I assume very few people actually click into someone's profile to get information before replying to them, but that way it's displayed right there and you can refer to them real-time as you're replying to the post (there was just an example where "him" or "his" was innocently used incorrectly, but maybe wouldn't have had the preferred pronouns been right there on the person's screen.) 

I don't personally have a need for a pronouns field, but if it's ever reconsidered for the people that do want it, that may be a better place to put it.

(though I'm not sure how/if that would work on mobile).

EDIT:
The members who would like a pronouns field could also simply edit their member title to read "Pronouns they/them" or whatever their preferred ones are.  Maybe it doesn't even require a new field.

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

5 hours ago, BBTV said:

EDIT:

The members who would like a pronouns field could also simply edit their member title to read "Pronouns they/them" or whatever their preferred ones are.  Maybe it doesn't even require a new field.

As the person who that happened to, I do have my pronouns as my member title. People don't read those.

the user formerly known as cdclt

23 minutes ago, CDCLT said:

As the person who that happened to, I do have my pronouns as my member title. People don't read those.

It may be because people don't know to.  If/when it becomes more normalized to use that space for that purpose, that might change.  Also, maybe explicitly calling out "Pronouns: they/them" could help (or not... not sure).  I'm pretty conscious of these things but I would never have thought to look there either.

Then there's the mobile aspect of it - I'm not sure there's a solution there.  But I'm not going to check everyone's profile before replying to them, so I'm just trying to come up with a compromise that doesn't require the mods to do anything in the backend and at least helps for people on desktop.  

While I am the CCSLC's authority on CTE (Infrared can back me up on that one), I'd have no problem deleting that and throwing pronouns there if it was something that we as a collective decided to try.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 4/30/2023 at 1:25 PM, BBTV said:

While I am the CCSLC's authority on CTE (Infrared can back me up on that one), I'd have no problem deleting that and throwing pronouns there if it was something that we as a collective decided to try.

I'm in full support of adding a pronoun field. We make a lot of assumptions that this board is visited by 100 percent cis men, and I think there's value in knowing that we're not.

• Like 5
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

30 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I'm in full support of adding a pronoun field. We make a lot of assumptions that this board is visited by 100 percent cis men, and I think there's value in knowing that we're not.

Seconded.  Extremely welcome addition. 

• Like 4
  • Yawn 1
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

• 1 month later...

When I log in, I'm greeted with a notice "Your Profile is 0% Complete." So I click 'complete my profile,' and get a dialog with a couple blank spaces (I don't have Instagram or Snapchat) and list my favorite teams, which I do.

BUT . . . When I click 'Next' I'm booted out of the Profile editor, and it still says my profile is 0% complete. 

Where should I go, what should I click?

• Like 1

wS7MJ6T.png

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.