Millennium League (Tucson Vaqueros 2/24)

Whittier S

Hello all! I've decided that, even though I'm just a hobbyist, I want to improve my graphic-design skills with a concept series. I've struggled in the past to come up with the right kind of series to help me do this--I'd make it too big or too complex. But I've finally settled on an idea I'm comfortable with.

millienium-league-1_zpsdugywmd9.png

I call this the Millennium League for a few reasons. First is obvious, I envision it as a league starting in this millennium. I imagine this as a Triple-A level minor league, so it's producing players for the new millennium. Plus, the new millennium has seen a number of mid-sized cities rise to regional prominence.

Design-wise, this series is supposed to have an old-meets-new feel. My general aesthetic is more retro/vintage--1960's or so, I figure. But I want to add to that a relatively new idea: lots of mix-and-match uniform options. The jersey/pants/socks combos I post are what I would envision would be the most common combos. The hats could be switched around any number of ways. Most of the uniforms will have the secondary logo as a right patch.

No, I'm not changing the cities. No, I'm not changing the team names. It took me nearly a year to come up with them.

On which point, this series is going to take me a long time. Like I said, I'm a hobbyist, and I'm in grad school. I'm working on this with what little spare time I have, ten minutes here, fifteen minutes there. This series is going to take me a long time to complete. I'm okay with this.

I'm posting these here specifically because I am looking for feedback to help me become a better designer. Please give me C&C so I can make these concepts better.

rATMcmK.png

AlbuquerqueRams1_zpsepugrhmq.png

Albuquerque was founded by shepherds, hence the name. I struggled through some Inkscape bugs to create this first concept. I'm not sure if the horn of the ram should be yellow or maroon. I don't include the division name on the left patch; I figure the color code suffices.

rATMcmK.png

I would get rid of the "a" style horn on the ram head logo, the bend in the horn looks really awkward. The horn should be a little bigger as well, and the ear needs to be shrunk, right now its way too big. My only complaint about the uniforms would be that I'd like to see a little more yellow on the away.

CottonBowl_zpsc664d73a.png

4vAzk2u.png

Star championship signature credit to packerfan21396

Thanks for the feedback. :)

AlbuquerqueRams2_zpsqbeoqic3.png

* Changed fill of ram's horn to yellow

* Increased the size of the ram's horn

* Shrunk the size of the ram's ear

* Added yellow buttons to road-grey jersey

* Added yellow belt to road-grey pants

The a-horn stays as it's an integral part of the identity.

rATMcmK.png

Definite improvements IMO. The horn is still bugging me though, and I think I figured out why.

Here's a picture of a ram, sort of from the side:

6c082769f1829de9f487aaca5e007373.jpg

The horn starts just above and behind the eyes (which you have correct). Then the horn projects upwards before curving backwards, whereas yours immediately faces straight back (does that make any sense?). So I think if the horn is rotated a little clockwise on the ram's head, that will improve it a lot. I still think the straight section of the a-horn could look a little weird on the ram head logo, but I understand that it is an important part of the brand. Also, the ear should be much closer to the eye (see photo), but this will probably fix itself with the horn rotation.

Just minor nitpicks, this is a solid set. I love the extra yellow (both on the logo and uniform), and I'm excited for the next 23.

CottonBowl_zpsc664d73a.png

4vAzk2u.png

Star championship signature credit to packerfan21396

I know you said you're not changing the cities or names, but I just wanted to point out that there already is a real team called the Madison Mallards. They're part of a collegiate summer league called the Northwoods League.

100px-Madison_Mallards.png

JeKhnr9.png

Are the hats supposed to be matched up with the jersey they are over? Or did they just happen in that order? If they are matched up, I recommend switching the white hat to the white jersey and maroon hat to the gray jersey. Makes for a cleaner look. If they're in no particular order, disregard this comment.

• 1 month later...

So, I've been away from this a bit because grad school. But hooray for spring break!

My biggest struggle here is the hierarchy in the color scheme. I'm not sure that the way it is, I can get uniforms that can all go together. Any advice much appreciated.

TucsonVaqueros1_zpsae5grsvw.png

rATMcmK.png

I've tried three times to edit that post and it won't let me. I tried to say that the hats are mix-and-match and aren't necessarily designated for the jersey they're above.

rATMcmK.png

Archived