2015 MLB Season Thread with Postseason Discussion

Gary

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't discount Price staying with Toronto. He REALLY seems to like it there. And he'd be honestly going to a not-quite-as-offensively-awesome team.

I could see them offering much more per season than others for a shorter 5 year deal.

Then again, there are teams like the Dodgers who would probably give him 8 years. Good luck with that.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

I watched the phi-was game on Friday and Harper had said something about Papelbon throwing at people or something like that.

I love Papelbon. If the Phillies had 24 other players that wanted to win as much as he did then they wouldn't be a last place team. Bryce Harper seems like a tool, and probably deserved to be choked for something.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Papelbon is a cancer.

As much as I dislike Harper and think he's a douche, that was clearly on Papelbon. While you can't tell what Harper said in response, Papelbon went straight after him.

It looks like he said "I'll fight you right now"

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

The Giants..... are still alive.

Dodgers, IF they win the NL West, it'll come against the Padres.

They ain't winning a game at SF. Gonna get swept.

Oh my god. Just shut the :censored: up and go outside for a while.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I think its funny to see how many people are defending Papelbon in this, but either had or would have no issue throwing Sprewell to wolves when he did basically the same thing to P.J. Carlesimo. I guess the lesson in that is sometimes its okay to choke someone just so long as you can pull rank on them.

As for me, I'm still on team "its never okay to choke someone" and choking someone tends to outweigh not running out a routine fly ball by a pretty significant margin in terms of what's worse. One might get brought up in a manager's meeting or a conversation with another player(s) and forgotten about within a few days, if not immediately. The other WILL be brought up in at least one Nats front office meeting when discussing who to keep and who to get rid of and why. There is no team in baseball that will not bring this up when discussing acquiring or getting rid of Jonathan Papelbon for the rest of his career and justifiably so.

I think too much is made of what goes on the clubhouse, but I think a zero tolerance policy towards choking should be at least be assumed if not stated. With anyone that disagrees with that as Papelbon clearly does, I may not want that person around regardless of how good they are. Much like hard drug use, society tends to frown on it. Everyone wants to win, but its also a working environment you have to deal with everyday and sometimes it just isn't worth it to deal with "that guy" no matter what the consequences of getting rid of him are.

Papelbon may or may not be a clubhouse cancer. I don't know enough about Papelbon to say for sure in either direction. But I do know enough about clubhouse cancers to say that choking the best player in the dugout on live TV for "not playing the game the right way" during a meaningless late September game is something a clubhouse cancer would do.

Update: Papelbon has been told to clean out his locker and has thrown his last pitch for 2015. Whether or not he comes back to D.C. next year remains to be seen, but his 2015 season is over.

The Astros are showing once again what happens when a team that relies almost solely on the long ball goes through a power outage.

Credit the Angels for playing well down the stretch, but this was really the Astros race to lose and they have. The loss of C.J. Wilson should have been the death nail for that team and I'm still not sure how they're going to do anything in October assuming they get there given that they're signing players who couldn't cut it on other playoff teams this late in the year. But it goes to show you the value of having a guy like Mike Trout on your team. Without him, I'm not sure the Angels would have 75 wins on the year, let alone be in contention for a playoff spot. I've already seen enough to call him the greatest player in Angels history even if he never plays another game for them. That catch he made last Saturday just adds on to an already highly probable HOF resume.

But the Astros are a team that went from having the best record in the AL to a team will probably be lucky just to get in.

That being said for a team in its first year of being a serious contender none of this is out of the ordinary or unprecedented. It should be taken as a valuable learning experience and something to build on for next year and beyond. No matter what, the positives of the 2015 Astros far outweigh the negatives.

Here's the problem for the Angels though:

0.0 GB - Astros: 3 @ Seattle, 3 @ Arizona

0.5 GB - Angels: 3 vs Oakland, 4 @ Texas

1.5 GB - Twins: 4 @ Cleveland, 3 vs Kansas City

The Astros have the easiest schedule, including missing King Felix in Seattle. Only downfall for Houston is all road games where they're 29-46 on the season. Minnesota gets Cleveland who isn't a pushover but very beatable, and a Kansas City team who would have everything but ALCS home field locked up. The Angels do get Oakland at home, which is great, but that set of four in Texas is a beast.

And thats all not to mention Texas having a 3 game home set against Detroit before those final four against the Angels while holding on to a 2.5/3.0 game lead over Houston/Angels in the AL West. That also throws the wrench in that if Houston just wins its games, the Angels beating Texas could help the Astros while bringing another hurdle back to the Angels.

I'm still not optimistic of the Angels' chances, which is the same stance I've had since the All-Star Break. But of course, as it goes, when I stopped giving them a chance and started learning all I can about the Blue Jays to be an informed postseason bandwagonner, the Angels started winning. My other problem is something pmoehrin alluded too. If they should actually get there, I still don't have faith the Angels can do anything with their shot. Even in their wins, I haven't seen anything that shows me this is a team that can win in the postseason.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

The one team in the West right now that could be a serious World Series contender that nobody is talking about is Texas.

Adrian Beltre, Cole Hamels, Prince Fielder, Shin-Soo Choo, Yovani Gallardo. Do those sound like guys who could be key parts of a World Series winning team? Because they do to me. There is something to be said for having name value in October and the Rangers have plenty of it. They may be a bit older, but if they were all washed up they wouldn't be this good.

Anyone looking at the Rangers as an easy out I think is in for a very rude awakening. This is a very well rounded team top to bottom. Biggest strength for them serms to be they have no real weakness. Biggest weakness may be they have no real strength though. Thing is you never know if someone like Prince Fielder just starts going off and goes yard four times in the LDS. Or if Cole Hamels throws two shutouts. Think Jack Morris in the '91 World Series, or Paul Molitor in '93 if anyone thinks a slightly past his prime veteran can't get hot when it matters the most.

Keep in mind as well, the same no weakness, no strenght label could have been applied to last year's Giants. Madison Bumgarner did a pretty good job filling in the strength part as I recall.

Veteran teams like that can never be counted out literally until the final out. Only question I have is can this team really go all the way without Yu Darvish? Nobody would have said it was possible at the start of the year. With him, they would have a decided starting pitching advantage over both Toronto and Kansas City. Without him, it puts them at a disadvantage against Toronto and about even with KC. It may be enough to cost them a title, much as the loss of J.R. Richard probably cost the Astros a World Series title in 1980.

Cardinals may want to ask themselves as that as well even with how they've been playing without Adam Wainwright.

Greinke just gave up a 2-run double to Trevor freaking Brown.

Dodgers are dead. Giants are gonna win the West.

Thanks to you, I want the Giants to be mathematically eliminated from the playoffs as much as I want the Jays to win the AL East.

Sporting Venue Count (for games): OHL: 19 (28 Total)- 770 games (after 18-19),

MLB: 13 (15 Total), NHL: 4

Archived