2015 MLB Season Thread with Postseason Discussion

Gary

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been watching the Blue Jays almost nightly. They're the most fun team in the league.

Here is the pre-approved list of teams that are allowed to win the World Series: Blue Jays, Royals, Rangers, Cubs, Mets. I could be talked into Angels, but right now it looks like they're going to knock out the Astros. Anyone outside of those 5 will be a let down.

By the way, the Reds quietly set a major league record this season when they had 59 straight games started by a rookie pitcher. Neat? They're 19-40 in those games and they'll probably continue to use rookies straight through the end of this season so that's an active streak. I guess it's good for their development?

PvO6ZWJ.png

Here's the only team I don't want winning it all: Cubs

I don't care who wins it all, I don't want the curse to be broken unless you idiot Cub fans want to unleash Armageddon.

Oh... Might as well ask the Anaheim fans: How good was DiPoto there? See, he's been named the new Seattle GM and I thought it would be good to ask a fan of the Angels to get their take.

I don't care who wins it all, I don't want the curse to be broken unless you idiot Cub fans want to unleash Armageddon.

This idiot Cub fan does. Let chaos reign.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Oh... Might as well ask the Anaheim fans: How good was DiPoto there? See, he's been named the new Seattle GM and I thought it would be good to ask a fan of the Angels to get their take.

It's tough to say, really. GM's don't seem to have the power in Anaheim that they would elsewhere. It seems like owner Arte Moreno was the one who led the charge and threw the money at Josh Hamilton, C.J. Wilson and Pujols, rather than DiPoto. On top of that, Mike Scioscia apparently has more say in personnel than most MLB managers. While it was always downplayed, it seems like Sosh and Dipoto disagreed a bunch, and, well, Jerry got sent packing.

That said, DiPoto did a decent job rebuilding the farm system, which was previously dead last in MLB. I have no idea where it ranks now, but they at least have prospects, specifically young pitching, of worth right now. There were a few bad moves (Joe Blanton, Ryan Madson, Matt Joyce etc.), but he also made some solid moves, like strengthening the bullpen by acquiring guys like Joe Smith and Huston Street. Overall, I was pretty happy with DiPoto, but it's a tough situation to be in where the owner, whose background is in advertising, seems to make the baseball decisions.

First off.. congrats to Toronto.. but screw you for dropping the mantle of 'longest playoff drought' onto Seattle. May your team not reach the postseason for another 15 years.

It's tough to say, really. GM's don't seem to have the power in Anaheim that they would elsewhere. It seems like owner Arte Moreno was the one who led the charge and threw the money at Josh Hamilton, C.J. Wilson and Pujols, rather than DiPoto. On top of that, Mike Scioscia apparently has more say in personnel than most MLB managers. While it was always downplayed, it seems like Sosh and Dipoto disagreed a bunch, and, well, Jerry got sent packing.

That said, DiPoto did a decent job rebuilding the farm system, which was previously dead last in MLB. I have no idea where it ranks now, but they at least have prospects, specifically young pitching, of worth right now. There were a few bad moves (Joe Blanton, Ryan Madson, Matt Joyce etc.), but he also made some solid moves, like strengthening the bullpen by acquiring guys like Joe Smith and Huston Street. Overall, I was pretty happy with DiPoto, but it's a tough situation to be in where the owner, whose background is in advertising, seems to make the baseball decisions.

I do remember the issues between Scioscia and DiPoto. That was a big issue, but it helps having someone from a rival team because he knows this team because of past experience. Now, how much meddling will CEO Lincoln do up there? Who knows. But, at least there is a plan to fix the current issues (depth, a team better suited to Safeco and bullpen issues).

I don't know about you, but I'm damn tired of this playoff drought. I hope he's the guy that can help end it sooner rather then later.

Then you're not going to like the result of the 2015 postseason.

If you're basing your result because of Back to the Future II infrared, then I suggest that the 3D shark actually come up and bite every Cub fan in the ass.

There are certain things that keep order in the universe: Death, taxes, the Detroit Lions sucking ass and the Chicago Cubs sucking ass.

*begins pushing Cubs team of destiny narrative*

*BECAUSE HISTORY'S GREATEST MONSTERS NEED TO HAVE A NARRATIVE TO DERAIL.*

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Oh hell yes. Game 2 has been a disaster but I don't care. For the first time since 2006 one of my two die-hard teams are in the playoffs.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

*begins pushing Cubs team of destiny narrative*

*BECAUSE HISTORY'S GREATEST MONSTERS NEED TO HAVE A NARRATIVE TO DERAIL.*

DISREGARD ANDY, BECAUSE OLLIE'S SIDE IS WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN IN THE NEXT 5 WEEKS

CMBGhg3WIAUWY7k.png

(I got way too much mileage out of this last year. And I made it in mid-September, no less!)

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

Archived