2015 MLB Season Thread with Postseason Discussion

Gary

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, Cards clinch the Central, so they can't end both the Cubs' and Pirates' seasons before they take out the feel-good Mets and Jays for a Cardinals Way™ cycle

Good thing about the Cardinals clinching the division tonight is that Turner Field doesn't host another visiting team celebrating a championship of some kind (or a postseason series victory). Seen way too many of those the last few years.

jayscele_zpsfiui6yme.jpg

This is gonna be fun

What's interesting is I think this Jays team could have some sort of weird mainstream sports pop cultural breakthrough if they keep rolling. I'm not sure most outside Canada realize how much fun these guys have been having for months now. That photo is a tip of an iceberg.

#BushParty look it up

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

I'm hoping the Blue Jays win the AL pennant because that might hopefully spare us from God Bless America delays in the World Series. That damn song cost me catching the first train back home tonight.

First off.. congrats to Toronto.. but screw you for dropping the mantle of 'longest playoff drought' onto Seattle. May your team not reach the postseason for another 15 years.

Wow. Time flies, and baseball in general has been really good the last fifteen years. We've seen the tough-luck Red Sox go from losers we pulled for to detestable champs. We've seen the White Sox win their first series in 88 years. The Giants finished off a championship drought and then added two more. The Phillies had a few great years, fell short and then returned to a historical depth. The Braves dynasty finally crumbled. The Expos moved to Washington, built the team of the next decade, and has to date managed 2 NLDS defeats out of it. The Astros had a great team which fell short, then became a dumpster fire, switched leagues, and now has as bright a future as anybody. The Cardinals have returned to the summit twice and trolled millions along the way. The Rays went from a decade of ineptitude to being the model franchise in baseball. The Dodgers became the Yankees minus the championships. The Yankees became the Yankees minus the championships. The Blue Jays won the east after 20+ years of "You can't compete with the Yankees' and Red Sox' money," with the recent addition of "Or Tampa's baseball genius." The Cubs have made the playoffs several times, and even the Orioles, Pirates and Royals have built solid teams and returned to the playoffs after years of bumbling. It's crazy to think that, through all that, every team has made the playoffs since 2001 except the Mariners.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Congrats to the many Blue Jays fans here; if my guys can't win it, I hope yours do.

Aye.

As for the Mariners reset, I'm not saying anything... they don't even have a WS title yet.

HEY! Bite me!!

Congrats to Tim Hudson on a great 17 years with the A's, Braves & Giants. Props to the Dodgers for tipping their caps as Huddy walked off the mound for the final time. Giants reliever Jeremy Affeldt is also calling it a career. He had a great playoff run with the Giants. 0.69 ERA is 26 playoff games. Both of them are good guys.

Congrats to Tim Hudson on a great 17 years with the A's, Braves & Giants. Props to the Dodgers for tipping their caps as Huddy walked off the mound for the final time. Giants reliever Jeremy Affeldt is also calling it a career. He had a great playoff run with the Giants. 0.69 ERA is 26 playoff games. Both of them are good guys.

Kinda scuks that Zito, Hudson, & Mulder couldn't stick with Oakland. While I'm all for player movement, seeing franchise guys move in their early primes is kind of a downer.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Meh. Of the four games in Texas, this was the one the Angels had to get to pull even with the Astros. Would've put them in a nicer spot from a mental point of view to be tied and "Game On" rather than being the full game behind.

Houston would have to really trip over itself in Arizona to not get that spot now, I think. They deserve that spot, though.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

First off.. congrats to Toronto.. but screw you for dropping the mantle of 'longest playoff drought' onto Seattle. May your team not reach the postseason for another 15 years.

Wow. Time flies, and baseball in general has been really good the last fifteen years. We've seen the tough-luck Red Sox go from losers we pulled for to detestable champs. We've seen the White Sox win their first series in 88 years. The Giants finished off a championship drought and then added two more. The Phillies had a few great years, fell short and then returned to a historical depth. The Braves dynasty finally crumbled. The Expos moved to Washington, built the team of the next decade, and has to date managed 2 NLDS defeats out of it. The Astros had a great team which fell short, then became a dumpster fire, switched leagues, and now has as bright a future as anybody. The Cardinals have returned to the summit twice and trolled millions along the way. The Rays went from a decade of ineptitude to being the model franchise in baseball. The Dodgers became the Yankees minus the championships. The Yankees became the Yankees minus the championships. The Blue Jays won the east after 20+ years of "You can't compete with the Yankees' and Red Sox' money," with the recent addition of "Or Tampa's baseball genius." The Cubs have made the playoffs several times, and even the Orioles, Pirates and Royals have built solid teams and returned to the playoffs after years of bumbling. It's crazy to think that, through all that, every team has made the playoffs since 2001 except the Mariners.

116 freaking wins. And they get tripped up by an aging Yankee team on their last legs.

I always wonder how Mariners history changes if Jeter does not make that flip play and we get an Oakland-Seattle ALCS.

Cardinals pitcher Randy Choate has an interesting stat line this season: 71 appearances in 2015, 27 1/3 innings pitched. That's 82 batters he's gotten out in 71 games...just over 1 out gotten per appearance. That's incredible. Says two things:

1. If you're a left-handed pitcher and can get batters out, you'll always have a job opportunity in baseball. Now I haven't scoured the rosters, but I've heard that there's a shortage of lefties in Triple-A because if they're performing well, they're not staying in Triple-A for long.

2. Now maybe it's a Cardinals thing or a La Russa managerial tree thing, but game times are going longer because of all these pitching substitutions taking place in the later innings. It's one thing to bemoan the lack of complete games and shutouts....but pitching in 71 games and averaging one out per appearance is ridiculous.

Archived