2015 MLB Season Thread with Postseason Discussion

Gary

Giants supposed to have a doubleheader in the Rockies, but the rain has pushed the start to about 4:30 MT. With the penchant for high scoring games up there, good luck getting the games in at a normal time.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Giants supposed to have a doubleheader in the Rockies, but the rain has pushed the start to about 4:30 MT. With the penchant for high scoring games up there, good luck getting the games in at a normal time.

you were right, alot of runs scored ! why is there that penchant for high scoring games up there ?

you were right, alot of runs scored ! why is there that penchant for high scoring games up there ?

The air is thinner in the mile-high elevation of Denver, thus baseballs go farther, allowing for more home runs.

And the thin air causes curveballs and sliders to break less.

I was gonna say, it's not so much the balls being hit so much farther, it's that the balls being pitched don't do what they'd normally do at lower elevations. Though, I thought the MLB-approved humidor was supposed to equalize the pitchers and hitters. Maybe the thin air is still in the pitchers' heads.

Coors Field is also a huge ballpark. It's not the home runs that kill you, it's the doubles and triples (and by extension, having runners on base due to walks and errors) that usually do you in.

I would like a Royals/Cardinals World Series in October. What a beautiful treat.

I thought you wanted a Twins-Dodgers World Series. Make up your mind!

I want to see:

Twins-Dodgers

Tigers-Dodgers

Tigers-Cardinals

Twins-Giants

Royals-Cardinals

Mariners-Nationals

Tigers-Nationals

Angels-Dodgers

Any of these WS combos would be sweet.

I want championships!

I would like a Royals/Cardinals World Series in October. What a beautiful treat.

:censored: . No.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The air is thinner in the mile-high elevation of Denver, thus baseballs go farther, allowing for more home runs.

Had a feeling that could be the answer, but still, did they ever test the theory on mythbusters ?

Interesting change of pace with Swirsky alongside Stone for the Jays/White Sox game. Kind of nice.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

The new pace of game rules seem to be working. The average time of a nine-inning game is down 9 minutes to 2:53, and more importantly there seems to be less piddling around between pitches and innings (at least it seems that way to me).

The new pace of game rules seem to be working. The average time of a nine-inning game is down 9 minutes to 2:53, and more importantly there seems to be less piddling around between pitches and innings (at least it seems that way to me).

Its definitely an improvement, although nothing is slower paced then the NFL and nobody seems to care about that, so I think people were making it out to be a bigger problem then it really was.

Still I don't any fan including myself is clamoring to go back to the old rules. Anything that makes the game more watchable I'm for all and no question this has. Nine minutes may not seem like much on paper, but it effectively works out to eight less games a year for each team.

Side note noticing the Dodgers are batting Jimmy Rollins 2nd and his Mendoza line batting average second. Why? If your second place hitter is bunting, which Rollins has done twice in the game, he shouldn't be your second place hitter.

EDIT: Of course right on cue Rollins plants his fifth home run of the year, so brilliant move by Mattingley batting the under performing Rollins second tonight.

Cardinals

Dodgers

Astros

Royals

These are the teams that current have a better record than the Twins. The Twins started off 1-6 and were ugly even by 1-6 standards. They are 26-12 since. They are not particularly impressive in pitching or offensive team stats, nor is any individual really putting up big numbers, with the exception of Glen Perkins, who is 17/17 for saves (and has been outstanding regardless of how meaningful that stat is).

A couple of starters are showing some life (Gibson and Pelfrey in particular) and the rest of the 'pen has been solid. Offensively, they keep finding ways to score despite having nobody with 10 home runs are a .300 average.

So far I like Molitor. Perkins has a couple of 4-out saves. Gardy would not have done that in a million years.

So what's it mean? Most of all it means fan interest into the summer, which is valuable in and of itself. Their chances? Probably not very good. They have been huge with RISP, which is nice but probably won't hold up. On the other hand, if a couple of guys (Danny Santana like last year, Arcia when he comes back from injury, Vargas like some think he can) start getting hot, maybe being alive into September becomes a possibility.

I know one thing...I'd never have dreamed that the AL Central would be the best division in the AL (in baseball), and that the Twins would be worried about how to catch the Royals.

I also love how upside down the AL is. Astros? Royals? (I know they were in the postseason last year, but still...).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived