2015 MLB Season Thread with Postseason Discussion

Gary

I would be perfectly fine with MLB (and all leagues) dropping the All-Star Game. The old days of NL fans never getting to see AL stars play and vice versa are long gone, so there's no real reason to have it.

There'$ a $pecific rea$on a$ to why the A$G exi$t$. Want to gue$$?
To determine home field advantage of the World Series, of course!

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would be perfectly fine with MLB (and all leagues) dropping the All-Star Game. The old days of NL fans never getting to see AL stars play and vice versa are long gone, so there's no real reason to have it.

There'$ a $pecific rea$on a$ to why the A$G exi$t$. Want to gue$$?
To determine home field advantage of the World Series, of course!

I was pretty "meh" on All-Star games until the NHL's festivities came here in 2008.

It's a pretty neat feeling to be in the middle of all the All-Star festivities. It's one thing to see the game itself (which is usually not a good game) or the festivities the evening before...those can be seen from home. But just being out and about for those three days, when fans around the country and the world descend on your city and everyone is in a great mood, everyone's talking about the sport, all the other festivities that you can't see on TV that are fun to go to, etc. It really is a neat experience.

Onto Braves talk....they had an inning last night where they got three hits and two walks and didn't score a run. Oy. And the bullpen is one of the worst I've ever seen. The Braves had three games last week where they scored six or more runs and still lost. It's been a minor miracle that they've done this well, but I think this is the point where the wheels fall off. It's been a season-long problem where the starters rarely get through seven innings, which has led to the bullpen getting worn down and whipped. Aside from Grilli and Johnson (with ERA's of around 3.5 or so...and they're the reliable ones), the entire bullpen has been a revolving door of arms.

yeah that Chris Sale fella sure can pitch

Yes. He and Rodon have been pretty much the only bright spots for this team to date. Quintana has been pretty good after a few rough early starts. Samardizja has been garbage. He might well kick himself for turning down the extension the team offered him in the offseason. The way things are going, he'll be signing a 1 yr, $10 mil contract to rebuild value before taking one last run at a mega contract. He's bound to improve somewhat, but if the season ended today, I'm not even sure if you'd offer him arbitration.

Yeah Q just has no run support for like the third year in a row now, I don't know how that always seems to happen for him. Agree on Shark totally. Danks shows you he can do alright here and there then he has his "OBI" (One Bad Inning) and boom the game is over.... The top of the order is finally starting to hit a bit better now if the bottom of the order and the defense could get it together it might be a fun team to watch.

How the :censored: do the giants keep getting no-hitters from average pitchers every year?

It's pretty easy when you face a Triple-A lineup like they did today. The Mets can't hit for beans.

Seriously aside from Matt Cain in 2012, the gaints no-hitters in the last 10 years have come from people who are washed up or have been just average.

2009-Jonathan Sánchez 4.24 ERA

2013-Tim Lincecum 4.37 ERA

2014-Tim Lincecum 4.74 ERA

2015 Chris Heston 4.29 ERA

uig7aiht8jnpl1szbi57zzlsh.gif4jzjfvwxifvemelyh9xjbnyr4.gifefvfv5b5g1zgpsf56gb04lthx.gif594153172016.gif

Kershaw is GOD! Kershaw is LIFE! Kershaw is ALL!

Seriously aside from Matt Cain in 2012, the gaints no-hitters in the last 10 years have come from people who have were washed up or average.

Thanks for this list. I've been wanting to relive all those great moments. Truly a golden age of Giants Baseball.

With the Mets pitching staff, this organization is an embarrassment they cant get a major league quality lineup. The loss of Murphy is the straw that broke the camel's back. They may be in first by some miracle, but I see them losing 40 of 50 at some point soon and being irrelevant again. Cheapness kills. They have the worst owners in the sport.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Seriously aside from Matt Cain in 2012, the gaints no-hitters in the last 10 years have come from people who are washed up or have been just average.

Why does it even matter to you?

If you're mad the Dodgers haven't won jack squat in 26 years. Then fine.

No Hitters are one great game among pitchers Ive seen throw No Hitters

Mike Wagner

Bud Norris

and where is Armando Gallaraga these days

Its a great accomplishment but one day deal.

Same with cycles anyone remember Eric Valent he had a cycle

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

The cycle is more of a fluke than the no-hitter. The cycle is just a 4 hit game. Thousands of players have had 4 hits in a game. Not that many have had no-hitters

Now, there's different classes of no-hitters. Homer Bailey walked one guy on a bad call in his second no-hitter and that was all that kept him from perfection. Could've easily been a perfect game.

Then there's guys like Edwin Jackson who walked 8 guys and threw 149 pitches. He wasn't exactly breezing. Then there's the combined no-hitters like the Mariners and Astros threw which are cool, but sort of also a snapshot of how specialized pitchers are these days. Then there's the no-hitters in which the pitcher's team actually manages to lose.

and then there's Dock Ellis' LSD trip.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived