2015 MLB Season Thread with Postseason Discussion

Gary

I have to say I think I've reached the point where I can no longer believe that the Pirates have any chance of contending for, let alone win, the division this year or anytime in the next five years.

As long as the Cardinals are a baseball team, I'll agree with you.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BREAKING NEWS: Ryne Sandenberg has resigned as Philie's manager.

Quoted for posterity.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Sandberg has quit in the middle of a season before, but it was 1994... so I guess no one finished that season.

The Phillies were never the right fit for him. He would have done a good job with the rebuilding Cubs instead of Quade-Sveum-Renteria and then been unceremoniously dumped for Maddon just like Ricky.

Fans wouldn't have liked it, but only because he's a Hall of Famer that would have managed to go 79-83 with a 101-loss team.

Quit on his team without telling his players. He knew MacPhail wasn't gonna keep him around anyway and bailed before everyone else got the ax

Seems kind of silly to quit and forfeit this and next years' salary rather than just let yourself get the ax, collect a check, and not be labled a "quitter". There's something else going on here (though you're right that he wouldn't have been retained.)

Sandberg has quit in the middle of a season before, but it was 1994... so I guess no one finished that season.

The Phillies we're never the right fit for him. He would have done a good job with the rebuilding Cubs instead of Quade-Sveum-Renteria and then been unceremoniously dumped for Maddon just like Ricky.

Fans wouldn't have liked it, but only because he's a Hall of Famer that would have managed to go 79-83 with a 101-loss team.

Have you ever listened to Ryne Sandberg talk? I don't think I've ever heard a less inspirational person. It's like the Phillies were being managed by an inanimate carbon rod. He didn't have the respect of his players (most of which don't know or care that he is a HOFer), got shown up regularly, and made moves that even the uber-homer TV announcers openly questioned.

He's FAR from the reason the team stinks - I don't think any manager living or dead could have won with this team - but it became obvious really quickly why he had been passed over for major league jobs for all those years. AAA, where the players have to listen, is his ceiling.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Quit on his team without telling his players. He knew MacPhail wasn't gonna keep him around anyway and bailed before everyone else got the ax

Seems kind of silly to quit and forfeit this and next years' salary rather than just let yourself get the ax, collect a check, and not be labled a "quitter". There's something else going on here (though you're right that he wouldn't have been retained.)

The Phillies we're never the right fit for him. He would have done a good job with the rebuilding Cubs instead of Quade-Sveum-Renteria and then been unceremoniously dumped for Maddon just like Ricky.

Have you ever listened to Ryne Sandberg talk? I don't think I've ever heard a less inspirational person. It's like the Phillies were being managed by an inanimate carbon rod. He didn't have the respect of his players (most of which don't know or care that he is a HOFer), got shown up regularly, and made moves that even the uber-homer TV announcers openly questioned.

He's FAR from the reason the team stinks - I don't think any manager living or dead could have won with this team - but it became obvious really quickly why he had been passed over for major league jobs for all those years. AAA, where the players have to listen, is his ceiling.

I bet those Mike Scioscia "coming home" rumors are gonna pick up now.

(Sosh has the ability to opt-out after this season, and he grew up outside of Philly.)

I think it's interesting that Sandberg didn't thank any of his players during the press conference, while the players that agreed to interviews in the locker room weren't sad he was gone

The Phillies were never the right fit for him. He would have done a good job with the rebuilding Cubs instead of Quade-Sveum-Renteria and then been unceremoniously dumped for Maddon just like Ricky.

Have you ever listened to Ryne Sandberg talk? I don't think I've ever heard a less inspirational person....

Yes, um, I um, have... sorry, the ums were a trademark of his playing days. I think he's cleaned them up a bit.

I was shocked he pulled off his Hall of Fame speech as well as he did, but then again Sammy Sosa was an easy target.

Still, my point stands: When the Cubs were trotting out a Triple-A team on the MLB roster, he would have been a good fit.

Steven Matz's pitching debut for the Mets was special not because he got the win but because he had three hits and 4 RBI. NL baseball FTW.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Steven Matz's pitching debut for the Mets was special not because he got the win but because he had three hits and 4 RBI. NL baseball FTW.

Meh, if it's special when a batter does his job then I'm perfectly fine with the AL.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

I feel the Red Sox are beginning to catch their stride, they might not go for any long streaks but I feel they are going to be consistently good from here on after this bad slump they had the last month or so. They still need to trade for a good starting pitcher this year to have a shot at competing for a World Series but i feel they can be a playoff contender now

Archived