2015 MLB Season Thread with Postseason Discussion

Gary

Does franchise four sound better than having a Mt. Rushmore?

To someone I'm sure.

There were too many omissions for me to really take seriously.

For the Red Sox my four would be Wade Boggs, Roger Clemens, Tris Speaker and of course Ted Williams. Only Williams is on the ballot and honestly who's going to launch a write in candidacy for Tris Speaker? What gets me though is they got Cy Young. Young's one of the all-time greats don't get me wrong, but his best years came in Cleveland with the Spiders. He was already an established superstar before he got to Boston.

I actually wouldn't have an issue with Young being on the Indians team because of his years with the Spiders, but what do you do with players like that? Does nobody get credit for those years. If the Spiders had never folded, the Indians would never exist. Also Omar Vizquel as one of the four best Indians in history? Over Lou Boudreau? Kenny Lofton who's not on the ballot? Shoeless Joe Jackson who's not on the ballot? Stan Coveleski who's not on the ballot? Larry Doby a former MVP and the first black player in AL history? No offense to Omar, but with Lou Boudreau, Joe Sewell and Ray Chapman he just about makes the best four shortstops in franchise history.

The two teams that I thought got it right on the money were the Yankees and Braves. Most everyone had at least two, a few like the Cardinals, Cubs, Reds and Rockies have three. The hardest I think were teams like the Twins. Obviously Walter Johnson should be on that list if your counting the Senators. Johnson would be on any teams top four list. But he never played a single game for the Twins. Why should Minnesota fans give a damn about him. Would have made more sense to have him on the Nationals squad and maybe do the Expos separate, but its a tough call to make no matter what.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The two teams that I thought got it right on the money were the Yankees and Braves. Most everyone had at least two, a few like the Cardinals, Cubs, Reds and Rockies have three. The hardest I think were teams like the Twins. Obviously Walter Johnson should be on that list if your counting the Senators. Johnson would be on any teams top four list. But he never played a single game for the Twins. Why should Minnesota fans give a damn about him. Would have made more sense to have him on the Nationals squad and maybe do the Expos separate, but its a tough call to make no matter what.

Nope. Tom Glavine should have been there instead of Chipper.

Nope. Tom Glavine should have been there instead of Chipper.

I'd take both Smoltz and Phil Niekro over him. Could throw Kid Nichols in there as well, but I'm not going to be nit picky. He never played for Atlanta and hardly in the 20th century even.

Glavine won a lot of games and was certainly a great pitcher, but it always seemed he was behind at least a dozen pitchers throughout his career. Chipper was for a good time the dominant third baseman in the National League. Former MVP, batting title, OPS title. Hit for both average and power and drew walks, Short list of the guys I would rather have on my team then him in the time he played.

For the Rays, I agree with the Longoria, Price and Shields for the first 3 choices but I question Zobrist being there. Carl Crawford should've been there instead of Zobrist due to having most of Tampa's records when he left plus he was a bright spot back when the Rays (then Devil Rays) were horrible.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

For the Rays, I agree with the Longoria, Price and Shields for the first 3 choices but I question Zobrist being there. Carl Crawford should've been there instead of Zobrist due to having most of Tampa's records when he left plus he was a bright spot back when the Rays (then Devil Rays) were horrible.

I would actually keep Zobrist and swap out Shields for Crawford. His career ERA with the Rays is up around 4. I'll take the power hitting second baseman who's also a pretty good defender.

Brock and Hornsby? No Pujols?

Christ the #BestFansInBaseball sure carry a grudge.

Also Y U NO VOTE FOR SMITH?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Three American League runs scored by Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

Three American League runs given up by Los Angeles Dodgers.

Neat.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Also filed under "Neat":

Mike Trout's first at-bat in All-Star Games
2015 - HR
2014 - Triple
2013 - Double
2012 - Single

I think this is called a cycle. I'm not sure if that's good or not. I think it is. Someone want to confirm? It's probably pretty good.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

What does a pitching coach even do at an All-Star Game?

Manages the pitching staff/rotation with the recommendations from these pitchers' coaches.

Leo Mazzone was on a local radio show this morning and he was talking about his duties for the game. He's telling the pitchers the order they plan to use the pitchers and when to get ready. The manager is so busy with his duties with the media that the pitching coach handles the pitching order and the bench coach handles the fielder substitutions.

Also filed under "Neat":

Mike Trout's first at-bat in All-Star Games2015 - HR2014 - Triple2013 - Double2012 - Single

I think this is called a cycle. I'm not sure if that's good or not. I think it is. Someone want to confirm? It's probably pretty good.

I've heard the same thing. I think it is pretty good. If only we had someone around here who thinks he knows all there is to know about baseball so he could settle the matter.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived