North American Pro Soccer 2015

Sodboy13

Since the commissioner still claims that over half the league doesn't make money (share sale of SUM included), it seems that I am reliving what I saw when I was age 7-10 with the NASL.

Granted, not being profitable does not equal not being sustainable however it does seem like they are surviving on expansion fees and small increases with the CBA. And there's no CBA right now.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The biggest difference is that the old NASL expanded into markets that had no business in the league, combined with an arms race that shot up expenses.

The MLS model has, so far, been about sustainability combined with very smart expansion. Sustainability doesn't have to mean "profit", just "don't lose more than you can afford to lose." So long as the losses are sustainable, they'll ride it out. But there's obviously no secret as to why they finally needed a team in New York; they'll need the market to grow their pie.

The biggest difference is that the old NASL expanded into markets that had no business in the league, combined with an arms race that shot up expenses.

The MLS model has, so far, been about sustainability combined with very smart expansion. Sustainability doesn't have to mean "profit", just "don't lose more than you can afford to lose." So long as the losses are sustainable, they'll ride it out. But there's obviously no secret as to why they finally needed a team in New York; they'll need the market to grow their pie.

By no means have I studied this fully, but like a few others have really questioned the net revenue they have.

My sustainable comment came from a CNBC interview with a Vanderbilt professor during the WC regarding MLS expansion.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101906689

Apparently, 30% of ticket revenue* is held by the league for revenue sharing, but I haven't been able to see if local TV revenue is shared.

*- I have no idea which part of premium/luxury ticket price is included if any.

So is Bob Kraft first in line for expansion fees because he has been there since Day 1, or does say DC United ownership since they took control in 2007 and really claim poverty while at RFK?

I was 14 in 1978 when the league went to 24. Oakland, Anaheim, Memphis, and Houston were four that should not have been relocated to - Connecticut Bicentennials to Oakland Stompers and St Louis Stars to California Surf - and Rogues and Hurricane should not have been awarded expansion franchises. Tulsa Roughnecks, though not a soccer hot bed, was a great surprise.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

MLS unveils the schedule for next year. http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2015/01/07/major-league-soccer-unveils-2015-schedule-decision-day-finale-and-expanded-p

Also the MLS scene in NY is once again caught up in controversy with Mike Petke being fired & replaced, RBNY's new sporting director being a complete idiot, and rumors of Red Bull trying to sell the team.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2015/01/07/new-york-red-bulls-ali-curtis-owns-decision-fire-mike-petke-hire-jesse-marsc

http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/columns/lewis.php?article_id=39806

"To get briefly and quickly into the playing style, this is an energy drink," said Marsch.

And with that quote from RBNY's new coach I will leave you with my representation of MLS in NY.

Dumpster-Fire.jpg

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

Yup, it was a sham, he signed with MCFC. Usually you'll see people artfully dance around subjects like that but they straight up said continually that he was on loan.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

The NASLs Rowdies have signed a deal with Nike, leaving their old manufacturer

http://www.rowdiessoccer.com/news/detail/uuid/ivnbprw84jqh1w2qk578ql86d/rowdies-announce-nike-kit-and-apparel-partnership#.VLLWGRGCOrU

This is a great move as Admiral gear was very snug fitting across the board. I knew someone who wore a large shirt and had to buy a 2xl in the Admiral gear

Admiral gear was snug fitting? I dunno, I'm a big guy, and I found the Admiral's sizing for Minnesota shirts to be pretty generous.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Kind of surprised to see no discussion of the Jozy Altidore trade (for Jermaine Defoe). It's weird that someone who has been so consistent with the national team can be sure a disaster with his club team.

I'll definitely try and see Toronto when they come to Seattle this year, and hope he can turn it around.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Kind of surprised to see no discussion of the Jozy Altidore trade (for Jermaine Defoe). It's weird that someone who has been so consistent with the national team can be sure a disaster with his club team.

I'll definitely try and see Toronto when they come to Seattle this year, and hope he can turn it around.

Deadspin had the best headline for Jozy, "The Striker Who Never Was Is Coming Back".

http://screamer.deadspin.com/jozy-altidore-the-striker-who-never-was-is-coming-bac-1679502778

And there STILL is no contract with the players.

I can't get excited. As a dedicated (to a fault) TFC fan my only question is "how will they screw up this?" I'm just waiting for the headline that there is trouble in the locker room or that he and the coach don't get along and we will get coach change number 3 billion.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Deadspin had the best headline for Jozy, "The Striker Who Never Was Is Coming Back".

http://screamer.deadspin.com/jozy-altidore-the-striker-who-never-was-is-coming-bac-1679502778

And there STILL is no contract with the players.

Technically the CBA doesn't expire until January 31 IIRC, so there is currently a contract with the players.

6fQjS3M.png

I wonder if this points to a 4th DP being all but confirmed for the new CBA?

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Archived