North American Pro Soccer 2015

Sodboy13

The Strikers have always maintained that they are 2 separate markets, and when they moved it was a totally different landscape. These owners have their stuff together as well so I think it could work out well. Especially if Beckham doesn't get a team.

As far as western expansion, there are waivers that can be issued if needed. They want to get that way but in the right way. I really don't think the NASL is in real danger of losing D2 status.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Strikers have always maintained that they are 2 separate markets, and when they moved it was a totally different landscape. These owners have their stuff together as well so I think it could work out well. Especially if Beckham doesn't get a team.

As far as western expansion, there are waivers that can be issued if needed. They want to get that way but in the right way. I really don't think the NASL is in real danger of losing D2 status.

Big issue I see with the Miami FC team... is if/when Beckham's Miami team starts play. Sure if it fails to materialize, NASL have themselves both Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. But Miami FC will be dead man walking if an MLS team comes to town. We'll see a preview of it when the same situation presents itself in Atlanta.

I do.

If the NASL can't present a realistic plan to expand within an extra year or so, and if the USL can make a creditable pitch to move up (or have x number of teams move up, say the independent ones), I absolutely can see the USSF say "forget you guys" and stripping the NASL of their D2.

Ok, do you think that'd be a good thing?

I personally have more faith in the USSF than for them to throw markets drawing 5-10k fans down to level 3 for a league that has teams that draw 200.

If anyone was wondering, the Whitecaps won the second leg of their series against Edmonton FC, and will go on to face Montreal for the Canadian championship.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Are there any solid contenders for West Coast markets in the NASL at the moment?

I know the NASL has talked to San Francisco City about becoming an NASL team but that's about it as far as I know.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Are there any solid contenders for West Coast markets in the NASL at the moment?

I know the NASL has talked to San Francisco City about becoming an NASL team but that's about it as far as I know.

At the moment, there are only rumors. That's what's worrying.

San Francisco seems like a tough market - minor league sports haven't done well there, and there's no slam-dunk venue for them in the city itself.

Similarly, I see Los Angeles as a tricky one for the NASL. One very successful and flashy MLS club, a shiny new one on the way (with gorgeous new stadium). Unless they want to make themselves an Orange County team, I'm wondering what niche they think they can fill.

San Diego, now that seems like a good possibility.

Sacramento is obviously out, so that leaves - Fresno? Las Vegas? Aren't a lot of Western time zone cities left.

No. Their potential group in LA fell through over a month ago. And word leaked out yesterday that their efforts in San Francisco (where they supposedly had 2 interested groups one of whom may have been SFCFC) also fell through. Right now there is no west coast ownership groups on the horizon which means no west coast expansion for the foreseeable future.

https://twitter.com/kkfla737/status/601160497778585600

And rightly so since their focus seems to be on the two markets they have no business bothering with. LA already has 4 pro teams (potentially 5 depending on what LAFC does for a USL affiliate). And San Francisco is notorious for chewing up and spitting out minor league teams. People from "the City" only root for top level teams preferably in top level venues. NASL thus far has ignored San Diego, the Inland Empire, Las Vegas, the Central Valley... locations that are not currently being served by either USL or MLS but have huge market potential.

You'd think with that solid an ownership group that NASL could have steered them to a different location. It's not like they have particular ties to the region, right?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

You'd think with that solid an ownership group that NASL could have steered them to a different location. It's not like they have particular ties to the region, right?

Maldini has had a home in Miami since 2000.

Credit: The Guardian

“We believe that the fast-growing NASL will be the perfect platform to develop a successful team and a valuable business. Miami has been my second home for 15 years, so I look forward to spending more and more time here as co-owner of Miami FC, giving my enthusiastic contribution for its success.”

Silva has made Miami home sine 2007.

Yeah. I'd love to see their market research, because this seems to be as much about tweaking MLS for poaching Minnesota as anything.

Yeah when you consider they already have a team in the greater Miami area and there's an MLS team that will eclipse them sooner or later, it really is a head scratcher beyond being a shot at MLS. But it's a heat seeking missile that's more likely to come right back at them than do any long term harm to MLS.

The University of Miami has discussed being a co-tenant with the MLS team. (http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/2015/05/a-few-other-details-on-ummls-stadium-project-and-their-friday-meeting.html#storylink=addthis)

It sounded great until the part about having to buy out a 17 year agreement with the Dolphins. UM just doesn't have the money.

PJU85JF.png

The thing that kills me is that the 3 big leagues in the USA are fighting each other instead of working together. The MLS will have 23 teams, the NASL is down to 11, and the USL sits at 24. They're fighting over markets which isn't good. What good is it to have reserve squads playing on the 3rd tier, but arguing that they're second tier? Is the NASL going to keep putting teams in Florida? Or will they start poaching the USL and lower?

I feel like everyone is on different agendas and the structure will eat itself up before it gets fixed. I'm not even vouching for pro/rel, I just can't imagine that this is a good business model.

I agree it's unsustainable, although I differ with the specifics of your analysis.

MLS is fine. The other two leagues aren't seriously fighting for the same markets. The NASL makes some noise, but they can't really compete.

I do think the USL will make a serious push for D2, but not in its current form. Their current business model can't last; they have two kinds of teams, those that are in the business of developing young players and those in the business of selling tickets to pro soccer matches. If the USL does move up, makes sense it'll only be half the league. Let the development teams stay in D3 and the competitive teams move to D2.

And that brings us to the NASL. They're the strangest one of all, with a model that could well serve as the basis for a solid D2, but they're hampered by a series of disastrous expansions. On top of that, they have this absurd notion that they could become a second D1 like the American League or AFL.

I think the USL needs to split. Half stays D3, half becomes a second D2 with the NASL, which contents itself with being nothing more than a fantastic second division league.

That's what I thought would work. I'd love for Richmond, and Rochester to make the jump for legacy reasons. Then new teams like St Louis and Oklahoma City carve their own history against teams like the Rowdies and Cosmos. I figure the NASL needs to figure their stuff out before they lose Minnesota, Atlanta, and possibly Miami. The Canadian league also is an issue, so in 5 years you could see 5 teams gone. I know Harrford may get an NASL team, but there's still like 16 slots for expansion and jumping levels.

I think the leagues should be on the same schedule too. Either split season, or full season. Something uniform just to add some stability moving forward.

The NASL is safe as the 2nd tier for one big reason. The have a hold of the strongest soccer hotbed in the US. The state of Florida. That hotbed is getting hotter. Until they lose those three successful teams, the other leagues below them will never touch them. Even if they have double the clubs of the NASL.

Archived