North American Pro Soccer 2015

Sodboy13

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question is, where do you think NASL will get Western teams? Most markets out west are already spoken for in LA, the Bay Area, Sacramento. And Vegas may soon be off that list as well.

San Diego?
As a San Diego resident I like the notion, but the where is a big sticking point. There are no stadiums in SD that are really D2 caliber. Torero Stadium is close but it's up to USD if they want a fourth tenant in their stadium. All other stadia are either too small or far too big for D2.

Looks like a deal.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/andrea-pirlo-accepts-offer-to-join-frank-lampard-at-new-york-city-fc-10294576.html

NYCFC's roster is too old already, but how can you not add someone of his stature? Even at his age, he's a tremendous player on the pitch.

It's not like Pirlo's game is based on athleticism, so I don't see why he won't be just as effective 2-3 years from now. As long as he stays healthy, the odds of him forgetting how to pass a soccer ball with the deftest of touches are zero.

I'd certainly take Pirlo over some of the latest MLS imports like John Terry or Steven Gerrard.

It's not like Pirlo's game is based on athleticism, so I don't see why he won't be just as effective 2-3 years from now. As long as he stays healthy, the odds of him forgetting how to pass a soccer ball with the deftest of touches are zero.

I'd certainly take Pirlo over some of the latest MLS imports like John Terry or Steven Gerrard.

Still at Chelsea. I think you mean Lampard. Who will probably be like Henry and never play on the turf fields or any games back to back.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Maybe part of a San Diego bid is a soccer specific stadium? But you bring up a good point, where do you put it?

Well if it comes down to building a SSS in San Diego, it won't be NASL that they angle for. It'll be MLS as it's a market Garber has long coveted and would move quickly toward the front of the line. That and NASL as a final destination seems a waste of time and money for a SSS if they're going to go to the trouble (particularly if it were in addition to a Chargers stadium). That said, a SSS won't really be necessary if they finish the Chargers Stadium deal in Mission Valley (which we'll know the end result of in the next 6 months I suspect). An MLS team is part of what they'd like to see the stadium used for anyway.

UTI1852781_r620x349.jpg?75d51d0aea2efce5

Basically given the question of where, and the effort that will be needed for it. The only way I see a SSS happening in San Diego is if the Chargers leave and something needs to be worked out with SDSU for their long term football home. A SSS sized stadium would serve them, and the SD Bowl games, nicely. And even then, it would seem more likely an MLS team home, not minor league NASL or USL.

a SSS won't really be necessary if they finish the Chargers Stadium deal in Mission Valley (which we'll know the end result of in the next 6 months I suspect). An MLS team is part of what they'd like to see the stadium used for anyway.

The only way you can expect MLS to put a team in an NFL stadium is if the same person owns both teams. So unless the Spanos family is interested, you'll need another stadium.

Still at Chelsea. I think you mean Lampard. Who will probably be like Henry and never play on the turf fields or any games back to back.

Haha, yep... It's been a long week (and it's only Wednesday!)

:upside:

a SSS won't really be necessary if they finish the Chargers Stadium deal in Mission Valley (which we'll know the end result of in the next 6 months I suspect). An MLS team is part of what they'd like to see the stadium used for anyway.

The only way you can expect MLS to put a team in an NFL stadium is if the same person owns both teams. So unless the Spanos family is interested, you'll need another stadium.

Don't know about that. They put Seattle and Vancouver in NFL/CFL stadia and they have largely and completely separate ownership.

Paul Allen is in the Sounders ownership group, brought in specifically to ensure they don't have second-tier status as subletters. And when Vancouver was awarded, they had a SSS in the works, which was later scrapped. They were never supposed to share with the CFL team.

The last time MLS put an expansion franchise into an NFL stadium without cross-ownership was 1997. And given the incredible push for SSSs that has been ongoing for the past decade, I wouldn't no count on them breaking that precedent for San Diego.

But maybe they can interest Spanos to join up.

Seriously hope they don't end up in Loudon County. I live in DC, & doing anything in Loudon is always a major inconvenience. Very few public transportation options compared to the other counties of VA & MD that make up the DC area.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

They're just the worst. Grow up Orlando.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived