North American Pro Soccer 2015

Sodboy13

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're presuming the Cosmos II were relevant in the first place. The only time they draw is when they drag out history from the first team.

They could have been. They really could have been. But yes, but by the time they took the pitch, it was too late. The the Cosmos' fate was sealed the day NYCFC was announced. And this is a huge market that loves its local sports. Don't see how Miami FC can carve out a substantial niche next door to Beckham FC.

FCC going to USL over NASL is not very good news for the latter.

When an ownership group that’s actually pretty wealthy chooses the third division over the second, that’s a problem.

Well the word out of USL is that they're not going to be third division for much longer. Which of course is even worse news for NASL who were already facing a litany of issues. With their commissioner doing the Pro/rel dance yet again, still no prospects for a team in the Pacific time zone that is needed to maintain D2 status, losing their big financial backer in Traffic, still having no clue what to do with their league owned Atlanta team (and likely soon to be league owned Carolina team), their now floundering future market in Hartford, already having lost Virginia, their soon to be usurped by MLS markets in Atlanta and Miami, their already MLS usurped market in NY...

Yeah NASL has a bunch of problems right now. How to maintain their meager existence being chief among them.

I'm not sure that NASL is "in trouble", or at least in any danger of folding right now. But they should be focusing on themselves, not wanting to compete with other divisions.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I think a league averaging 6k with 3 teams averaging over 9k isn't doing too bad considering its 2nd division soccer in the U.S.

Pro/Rel is easy for him to talk about because it feeds the diehards but he pretty much never has to do anything about it. NPSL teams won't be ready probably ever. Maybe Detroit or Nashville someday? A USL merger could actually work for pro/rel, but those teams won't because every one of their teams thinks they can be a MLS team (have you heard a single one not mention having MLS aspirations in their announcement press conferences? Cincinnati said it today for gods sake) They (NASL) won't consider it until they get 20 teams anyways.

West Coast is again, not too worried. People blow it out of proportion. They have a waiver. Why wouldn't the USSF give them another one? What good does it do striping markets averaging 2x the attendance of the USL of their D2 status? Because their commish won't play ball? Anyway, where do they put a team? No market is viable right now except a third team in LA which isn't really a good option. San Diego: no money or stadium. SF: no money or stadium. Las Vegas: no money or stadium.

And I'll repeat from before, remove MLS bound Sac Republic and the MLS Jr teams and the USL's west coast presence is Orange Freaking County. Not very impressive. I'll admit they have the soon to be 3 mountain time zone independent teams at least.

I don't know that Hartford (or Hamilton, or LA) is anything more than people running with rumors. Virginia and Oklahoma are flubs without a doubt. But let's not pretend that soccer is as stable as baseball in the U.S. MLS has been trying to get a Miami team for like 5 years and nothing is finalized yet, Minnesota has moving goalposts for their stadium (different rules than NYC for too...), and they just contracted a team. USL has dropped 3 teams and had 3 move in the last 2 years. This is soccer in the U.S., it's gonna be a bit chaotic.

Im not pretending they are without their issues. I worry about the long term viability of the league, Traffic concerns me but I think that's why the Miami team exists at all. Cosmos have money too and they pretty much have to have NASL to succeed. I mean, Jax, Indy or Ottawa could go USL tomorrow but the Cosmos have no options. As the USL adds more midwest teams it becomes much more and more attractive to me as a Indy fan anyway. But I just don't see their immenant death like others do. The ownership rules for D2 were put in place to stabilize the level. NASL has largely done that over the last 5 years, without being a reserve league or selling a part of itself to MLS. In the end that could be its death sentence but I'd rather go down having an independent team than having a AAA team for the Fire.

• 2 weeks later...

My god the Galaxy are scary.

I hope Toronto, Seattle, and of course NYCFC were taking notes today. That's how you build a big money team.

I like that TFC isn't on some glamour pedestal, even with the Atomic Ant & 2 key USMNT cogs at the helm.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

My god the Galaxy are scary.

I hope Toronto, Seattle, and of course NYCFC were taking notes today. That's how you build a big money team.

I like that TFC isn't on some glamour pedestal, even with the Atomic Ant & 2 key USMNT cogs at the helm.

I'd personally TFC on a glamor pedestal, but one that's a lower than the Galaxy & NYCFC.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Toronto's spent big money before and have failed spectacularly; you might forgive others for being a bit skeptical yet.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Toronto's spent big money before and have failed spectacularly; you might forgive others for being a bit skeptical yet.

If NYCFC can be on a glamor pedestal despite sucking now then I don't see why Toronto can't be.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

NYCFC bought a player who they expected to contribute big time but hasn't made it off the bench yet. I think that's the biggest worry for the team right now. As far as being a glamour team, it looks like that was the plan at the beginning but I think the staff didn't do enough to build around Villa, Pirlo and eventually Lampard. NYCFC can still make the playoffs and if they do and all three players are healthy and on the field it could be a different story from what we saw vs LA Galaxy.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

OK I'll bite: why do we need to ape England in EVERYTHING the MLS does?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

What the hell is a "glamour pedestal"?

I think he just means teams that get media attention and nationally televised games. Like how the Lakers will still get attention despite being bad because of Kobe and their history.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Archived