North American Pro Soccer 2015

Sodboy13

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought the Sounders were on a glamour pedestal, but since I decided to become a fan they've lost 35 of their last 34 games and have been woefully uninteresting. I'm sorry, Seattle. It's all my fault.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I thought the Sounders were on a glamour pedestal, but since I decided to become a fan they've lost 35 of their last 34 games and have been woefully uninteresting. I'm sorry, Seattle. It's all my fault.

Sounders are unique because of how they are set up in a similar model to Barcelona. They also have the advantage of rival clubs they've been playing against for over 40 years in various forms and leagues going all the way back to the original NASL. Their biggest issues this season has been Clint Dempsey's suspension for tearing up a ref's book, Gold Cup roster changes and a lack of scoring.

OK I'll bite: why do we need to ape England in EVERYTHING the MLS does?

It's less about modeling themselves after the English rather that the top teams in any league usually tend to have the finances that put them in front of other teams. With the less constrained salary cap rules and a new rule that you must spend $100,000 on a player to bring them below designated player level. Teams like Columbus won't take as big a risk on older European player as teams like Red Bulls because they can't afford to be wrong. Not that the gap between Columbus and Red Bulls is as big as Manchester united and Wigan, but it's along the same lines as far as who's willing to take a risk when they know the impact if they are wrong is not as detrimental to them as other teams in the same league.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Giovinco was the best signing this season. It proved that players from Europe can view the league in a positive manner rather than blowing it off as a retirement league. When the Hyundai A League tried to say that the MLS was lower quality I laughed. The big question is how does Giovinco's pkay influence 20 sonethings sitting on the bench at Barca, Real and other top quality teams in Europe? Do they roll the dice and hope MLS gets them more exposure for a place on their national teams and a poseible championship or do they line up a move to Stoke or Swansea in the hope that playing in the Prem by itself, even in a relegation battle, will get coaches to pay more attention.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

What the hell is a "glamour pedestal"?

It's reference to a glamour club. Kind of like the Big 4 in England.

Who are the big 4? I see no way to classify the top of the table as big 4 in a realistic manner.

MLS is certainly moving toward being a tier 2 league that can attract young talented players. MLS will never be EPL, La Liga, The Bundesliga, or Serie A but my hope is that someday it could be at an equal level or above the next tier of leagues in Europe and around the world such as Ligue 1 or Liga MX.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

Who are the big 4? I see no way to classify the top of the table as big 4 in a realistic manner.

Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea, & Liverpool. Because money.

Man City has broken into that group, though lags in history I guess.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea, & Liverpool. Because money.

Man City has broken into that group, though lags in history I guess.

It's still the Big 4 but in some people's eyes, City has replaced Liverpool due to league finishes over the past decade. Before it was the Big 4 it was the Big 3. Then came Abromavich and the Mansours.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

They can actually vote out the general manager and the board if they aren't acting in the best interests of the team.

From Wikipedia, though verified multiple times by Carey himself:

The Sounders FC Alliance was established at the request of minority owner Drew Carey. Based on the fan association at FC Barcelona, members of the Alliance have the ability to vote on the removal of the General Manager and on other team decisions. Season ticket holders become automatic members, while non-season ticket holders may buy into the Alliance for a fee. Membership benefits include voting privileges, an invitation to the annual meeting and other team perks. Members may also be elected to the Sounders FC Alliance Council by receiving at least 25 nominations from other members on an annual basis. The first vote on retaining or replacing Sounders FC General Manager Adrian Hanauer was scheduled to be held between October to December 2012. After 13,775 votes registered, Hanauer was retained by the Alliance.[85] Drew Carey is the chairman of the Sounders FC Alliance.[86]

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

And yet, Vancouver consistently and quietly put together great squads using under-the-radar central American players, have the most wins in the league, are second on the west, and nobody talks about them because they don't spend a ton of cash and aren't worthy of a glamour pedestal.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Well I only like talking about MLS when my team is winning, and they haven't been since June, so I'm off on a pout.

Vancouver and Columbus have been good, right? And Toronto will finally make the playoffs? And NYCFC and Orlando are hitting the wall we all expected, yeah? And LA is going to win the playoffs again.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Columbus has been streaky. One week they fall apart the next week they pull goals out of thin air. I'm still afraid Montreal might jump a few teams with all the games they have to make up

There have been games that are just downright frustrating for Crew SC fans. But the addition of Afful, who has been great since coming over, and Sauro (yet to play but is supposed to be good) should help sure up that defense. That's what needs to happen for Crew SC to live up to the potential of a dark horse in the east.

banner_zpsoxpwiuls.jpg

Pretty good game from the Whitecaps to win the Voyageurs Cup, the Impact looked like the had something going in the last 10-15 minutes but it always broke down eventually.

Vancouver's cup win is the first time a team other than Toronto FC or the Impact has won it, despite the Whitecaps finishing runners up 7 times in the past 10 years.

I wonder if Montreal will make it 3/3 in finals this season and lose to the #1 American team in the MLS Cup after this and the Champions League.

Pretty good game from the Whitecaps to win the Voyageurs Cup, the Impact looked like the had something going in the last 10-15 minutes but it always broke down eventually.

Vancouver's cup win is the first time a team other than Toronto FC or the Impact has won it, despite the Whitecaps finishing runners up 7 times in the past 10 years.

I wonder if Montreal will make it 3/3 in finals this season and lose to the #1 American team in the MLS Cup after this and the Champions League.

I'm all in with the CONCACAF CL. It's the ultimate carrot, to play meaningful games against the best Europe & S.America have to offer.

First there needs to be an MLS side even get that far, which I would hope makes mainstream sports headlines... though I won't hold my breath for the latter.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Since Fox has the Club World Cup they'd probably broadcast and promote the heck out of it if an MLS team was in it. The main issue for these games is that they are on at way too early/late for US audiences. The Galaxy look like they are planning to play in this competition already with their roster moves. I like the audacity even if I know most of the league couldn't pull it off.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived