North American Pro Soccer 2015

Sodboy13

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My only problem is where those next four would be placed... I've heard Sacramento, San Antonio, St. Louis....

Everton FC's incoming owner (who also used to own MLB's Padres) is considering a bid for a San Diego franchise, and apparently he's not the only one. One scenario discussed, which assumes the Chargers will soon leave Qualcomm Stadium, is that a smaller stadium would be built on the same site, which would host both this MLS team and San Diego State football.

CCSLC signature.png

Someone help me out here — why is Morris allowed to bypass the MLS SuperDraft and sign with the club of his choosing? Is it because he's leaving Stanford early?

Because the league will just make up any rule they please to make sure the top teams get all the good players.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Someone help me out here — why is Morris allowed to bypass the MLS SuperDraft and sign with the club of his choosing? Is it because he's leaving Stanford early?

Because the league will just make up any rule they please to make sure the top teams get all the good players.

Or the league sees the value in franchises establishing player development systems that in turn produce good players. Gyasi Zardes is one example. Morris is another.

More: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homegrown_Player_Rule_%28Major_League_Soccer%29

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Yeah - this isn't an example of MLS bending the rules or making up new ones on the spot. This is an example of a very sound policy bearing fruit for one of the franchises.

The league needs to develop young talent. This is exactly the way academies and youth affiliates are supposed to work - you help develop a player, you get first crack at him.

Including Sacramento, 5 teams in California seems like a lot in any sport but that's a city I haven't heard anything about as far as soccer expansion so that's cool.

It's useless to talk about a state as large, heavily populated and diverse as California as though its was some monolithic entity to be counted singly.

Opposing San Diego because there are already teams in Los Angeles, San Jose and possibly Sacramento is like saying Philadelphia shouldn't have been given a team because Washington DC, New York and Boston already had them.

Only problem is unless the Padres let the Aztecs play at PetCo there aren't any other options for them.

The Padres can't let them play at Petco. By law no pointy football can be played at Petco Park.

SDSU already has it's own plans in the works to potentially build a new football stadium on either campus or a western expansion of campus at the current Qualcomm Stadium site. It's the latter that is enticing for MLS because an SDSU stadium would be in the low 30k range and would work very well for MLS given soccer's appeal in San Diego and the complete lack of any teams in the region (unless you're willing to cross the border to TJ, which a large number of San Diegans are not).

Archived