NFL Changes 2015

Gothamite

The old dolphins logo is dated in that it is overly detailed in ways that don't visually improve the logo, but rather jumble/muddle it up.. The '97 update was a very good update to that logo by eliminating the unnecessary sun rays and converting the white blob of highlight to sleek and modern highlighting/shading.. The blotchy and haphazard appearance of the dolphin didn't mesh with the well-detailed helmet and overly detailed sun.. It wasn't a bad logo, but it was certainly dated.. As a dolphins fan myself, I'm happy with the evolution of the logo, even the current version.

I realize its mostly personal preference, but I rarely, if ever, find sports design from the 60's to look "dated". Even if I don't particularly like the design, it isn't because it feels behind the times, To me, the 60's were unarguably the golden age for sports designs... especially for football and baseball. Its when the majority of teams looked their best.

the-nfl-and-you-book-cover-1964.jpg

nfl-logos-1964.jpg

3948185407_1e59d238b9_b.jpg

As far as dated looks go... the MLB of the late 70's and early 80's looks dated now. The NBA of the 90's looks dated now. The NFL of the early 2000's looks dated now.

But the NFL of the 60's? Hell, IMO with 90% of the teams could take their 60's uniform, adjust it to a current jersey cut, and they would look amazing. And the Dolphins' new throwback proves it. Their current uniform isn't really all that bad, but even so the throwback destroys it, by a large margin. Its instantly one of the best uniforms in the current NFL. Maybe the best, since the Falcons' throwback went away.

i'll agree with you about the uniforms, although i dont dislike their currents at all.. i wish they had more coral, but the addition of the darker aqua to offset the lighter tone aqua and add some contrast between the aqua and coral was a great upgrade IMO (which happened w/ navy in 1997, although the dark aqua is superior).. with the sports aesthetic landscape like it is today, "proprietary" number fonts and workmarks are somewhat of a necessity, so i can take their current numbers (although the wordmarks are kinda bad), but the width of the coral outlines on the throwbacks is what the current set NEEDS.. i'd still like the thin strip of darker aqua to separate the coral, but it should definitely be wider.. i'm a HUGE fan of the sleeve stripes, but i'd be ok without them for my dolphins, just because so many iconic teams use the look already, and also because i'm actually a pretty big fan of the new helmet/pants striping that the dolphins added with the current set, although again, i'd prefer the coral to be wider so that it had a real presence.. the biggest issue for me is the washed out aqua from the new set.. if they reverted back to the aqua and coral shades from these throwbacks and added it to the current uniform design, that would be a huge upgrade in-and-of itself.. now add a darker aqua and turn up the volume on the coral in terms of striping and outlines, and you've got a much better uniform than what they're wearing now..

as for the logo, i actually prefer the current "cruiseline" logo to the original.. it's sleek and modern, and it's from a place where beachfront resorts and cruiselines are common, so if that analogy is going to continue to be thrown around, then hey - it fits!.. i'm also an orioles fan, so the campy image of an animal with headwear is certainly fine by me, but the original execution wasn't there.. it was upgraded in '97, but i'll take the current just the same.. there are definitely some very clean and solid looks from the 60's - no argument here, but at the same time there are lots of logos/wordmarks/etc that suffered due to the technology of the time.. take a look at Ren's updated vintage logos to see several examples.. i personally feel like the '66 logo has begun to show its age, but the original overall "look" is still a thing of beauty for sure!

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate the idea of having Thursday night football being made mandatory that it be color vs color. I picture many different combos that simply wouldn't work, or wouldn't look good. I also hate that it's being forced on the teams, teams that don't have a different colored alternate will now have to get one ensure they have a clash kit. I think color vs color can look good if it's done sparingly and the colors actually contrast and look good together lo like USC and UCLA.

as for the logo, i actually prefer the current "cruiseline" logo to the original.. it's sleek and modern, and it's from a place where beachfront resorts and cruiselines are common, so if that analogy is going to continue to be thrown around, then hey - it fits!...

I can use this logic to defend the throwback logo. It's 60s aesthetic and kitsch nature reminds me of a sort of retro aesthetic you would associate with roadside attractions along the highway in Florida during the 1950s and 1960s.

Sure, a cruise line is just as "Floridian," but I'll take the older logo with character over the newer bland logo every day.

as for the logo, i actually prefer the current "cruiseline" logo to the original.. it's sleek and modern, and it's from a place where beachfront resorts and cruiselines are common, so if that analogy is going to continue to be thrown around, then hey - it fits!...

I can use this logic to defend the throwback logo. It's 60s aesthetic and kitsch nature reminds me of a sort of retro aesthetic you would associate with roadside attractions along the highway in Florida during the 1950s and 1960s.

Sure, a cruise line is just as "Floridian," but I'll take the older logo with character over the newer bland logo every day.

to each his own i guess... a blotchy mess isn't much "character" in my book, but the campy nature of the dolphin wearing a helmet and a retro look that really "feels" vintage can definitely have some charm.. i get that.. i'm a child of the 80's and 90's, so i wasn't around for 50's and 60's road trips through florida, but at the same time, i'm a bit of a traditionalist with sports aesthetics.. and i understand your logic to defend the old logo, but keep in mind, i didnt say that the old logo didn't fit.. i simply made an argument for why the new one does fit. but honestly, i just dont get all the hate for the new logo.. it's still a basic dolphin image in front of a sun, same as it's ever been, just in a tweaked pose with modernized highlighting/shading, and without a helmet.. sure, it's similar to something a cruiseline or resort might use, but we could probably make similar comparisons to other logos that don't ever get the type of ridicule the new dolphins logo gets.. especially since it is still pretty accurate of what a dolphin can look like leaping out of the water..

(btw- not my image.. it was found in a google search, and is credited appropriately at the bottom of the image)

iPlgm0W.jpg

There were a number of things wrong with the first attempt (white numbers, dark blue pants and sleeve caps with "Seahawks Blue" helmet), but I've always been intrigued by what an "Action Green" alternate would look like with the current set. Doesn't look bad in the above photo for cheap practice jerseys.

The old dolphins logo is dated in that it is overly detailed in ways that don't visually improve the logo, but rather jumble/muddle it up.. The '97 update was a very good update to that logo by eliminating the unnecessary sun rays and converting the white blob of highlight to sleek and modern highlighting/shading.. The blotchy and haphazard appearance of the dolphin didn't mesh with the well-detailed helmet and overly detailed sun.. It wasn't a bad logo, but it was certainly dated.. As a dolphins fan myself, I'm happy with the evolution of the logo, even the current version.

I realize its mostly personal preference, but I rarely, if ever, find sports design from the 60's to look "dated". Even if I don't particularly like the design, it isn't because it feels behind the times, To me, the 60's were unarguably the golden age for sports designs... especially for football and baseball. Its when the majority of teams looked their best.

nfl-logos-1964.jpg

As far as dated looks go... the MLB of the late 70's and early 80's looks dated now. The NBA of the 90's looks dated now. The NFL of the early 2000's looks dated now.

But the NFL of the 60's? Hell, IMO with 90% of the teams could take their 60's uniform, adjust it to a current jersey cut, and they would look amazing. And the Dolphins' new throwback proves it. Their current uniform isn't really all that bad, but even so the throwback destroys it, by a large margin. Its instantly one of the best uniforms in the current NFL. Maybe the best, since the Falcons' throwback went away.

im with you about 90% of the way here. i love the stuff from the 60s - even outside of football. American muscle cars, European race cars, corporate branding; the 1960s were a beautiful point in time for design across the world and has influenced my own design style greatly. just take a look at my signature.

but i've started to change my mind a bit about this stuff not being dated. i now look at it and say it is dated because i can see when it was created. but it isn't out of style and never will be because the stripes, fonts, and general styling of the football uniforms in the 60s has lived on to form the modern graphic language of today's sport. that stuff was also so much better designed then, because it was focused on strong ideas, uniqueness (in the slightest way; think Green Bay vs Dallas vs San Fran), and longevitey, unlike today's Nike abominations that are nothing more than a flash in the pan.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

There were a number of things wrong with the first attempt (white numbers, dark blue pants and sleeve caps with "Seahawks Blue" helmet), but I've always been intrigued by what an "Action Green" alternate would look like with the current set. Doesn't look bad in the above photo for cheap practice jerseys.

It's such a tricky color because it's a "color" but it's pretty light.. I actually felt like white numbers were the right way to go, but a slightly bolder outline could've helped.. I think their new design could translate well into a green version

here's what i would expect to see from each TNF game:

Broncos v Chiefs = blue/red

Washington v NYGiants = red/blue

Ravens v Steelers = purple/black

Colts v Texans = blue/red

Falcons v Saints = red/black

Seahawks v 49ers = blue/red

Dolphins v Patriots = aqua/blue

Browns v Bengals = orange/black (interesting one, eh?)

Bills v jets = blue/green

Titans v jaguars = navy/teal

Packers v Lions = green/blue

Vikings v Cardinals = purple/red

Bucs v Rams = red/blue

Jets v Cowboys = green/navy

Chargers v Raiders = powder blue/black

Washington v Eagles = red/green

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

here's what i would expect to see from each TNF game:

Just edited your list..

Browns/Bengals will be Orange/Black or Brown/Orange.. I'm guessing we might see a lot of monochrome for Color vs. Color matchups, Browns/Bengals included..

Broncos v Chiefs = mono blue vs. mono red

Washington v NYGiants = burgundy/gold vs blue/grey

Ravens v Steelers = purple/white vs black/Yellow

Colts v Texans = blue/white vs red/navy

Falcons v Saints = red/black vs black/gold

Seahawks v 49ers = mono blue vs red/gold

Dolphins v Patriots = mono aqua vs blue/grey

Browns v Bengals = mono orange vs mono black

Bills v jets = blue/white vs mono green

Titans v jaguars = navy/white vs mono black

Packers v Lions = green/gold vs blue/silver

Vikings v Cardinals = purple/white vs red/white

Bucs v Rams = red/pewter blue/white

Jets v Cowboys = green/white vs navy/silver

Chargers v Raiders = powder/white vs black/silver

Washington v Eagles = red/gold vs green/white

Here are the Texans' home uni combos for this season, despite it saying "2014". This is actually the 2015 schedule. I notice that they are going monochrome "deep steel blue" twice. I am guessing they are doing it vs the Saints b/c they play in New Orleans during the preseason where the Saints are WAH; and the Texans are likely going to wear white pants w/blue jerseys in that game.

http://www.houstontexans.com/gameday/uniform-combinations.html

Panthers regular season jersey schedule follows. I am wondering if their Thanksgiving contest at Dallas will be color-vs-color, as it is the 3d time they will wear their blue alternates (teams can normally wear alternates for 2 regular season games). And since they are wearing white at Tennessee in week 10, perhaps the Titans have wised up and not going to use WAH like they did last season.

http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Panthers-jersey-schedule-2015/a0334221-5946-4cc9-8e84-db98cc2e7445

nfl-logos-1964.jpg

im with you about 90% of the way here. i love the stuff from the 60s - even outside of football. American muscle cars, European race cars, corporate branding; the 1960s were a beautiful point in time for design across the world and has influenced my own design style greatly. just take a look at my signature.

but i've started to change my mind a bit about this stuff not being dated. i now look at it and say it is dated because i can see when it was created. but it isn't out of style and never will be because the stripes, fonts, and general styling of the football uniforms in the 60s has lived on to form the modern graphic language of today's sport. that stuff was also so much better designed then, because it was focused on strong ideas, uniqueness (in the slightest way; think Green Bay vs Dallas vs San Fran), and longevitey, unlike today's Nike abominations that are nothing more than a flash in the pan.

Well, I agree that a certain percentage of 60's design can be "dated" in the sense that you can look at it and tell when it was created. But generally, on this board, the term "dated" is thrown out as a negative... as in old, outdated, obsolete. That was the usage I disagreed with.

And I'm with you on 60's design as a whole. I know most people loved Madmen for the acting and storylines, but I can watch with the sound off and enjoy it just as much.

to each his own i guess... a blotchy mess isn't much "character" in my book, but the campy nature of the dolphin wearing a helmet and a retro look that really "feels" vintage can definitely have some charm.. i get that.. i'm a child of the 80's and 90's, so i wasn't around for 50's and 60's road trips through florida...

Heh. So am I. So yeah, road trips through 1950s and 60s Florida were a bit before my time too. And two things about that...

1) Your age has nothing to do with what you like. So many people here, of my generation and younger, "justify" their preference for modern looks by saying "I'm a child of the 80s/90s/early 2000s so I like modern stuff." No. You like modern stuff because that's just your preference. There's nothing wrong with that, but stop trying to claim that being from a certain era dictates one's aesthetic preferences. I was born in 1987. I was the target demo when teams across the "big four" went with out there uniforms, logo, and colour schemes during the mid 1990s. I have a nostalgic appreciation for some of it, but by and large? I think most of it sucks. I may be "a child of the 90s" but I'm with oldschoolvikings. The 60s were the golden age of sports design.

2) Tying into the first point...you don't have to have first hand experience with something to appreciate it. Florida's kitschy roadside attractions were long gone by the time I came around but I'm still familiar with them. As such? I appreciate the slightly dated/kitschy look of the 60s Dolphins logo. It just works for me because of that connection and awareness.

As for the current logo? The current logo's pose may be accurate but it's still inferior. It just isn't as dynamic as the pose of the old logo. And the style? The old logo, detailed sun and all, had kitschy 1960s character. The 1997 update had 1990s attitude. The current logo? It's a bland, corporate mark. Devoid of any sort of character or charm.

If you disagree? Cool. That's fine. Posting pictures of actual dolphins won't change my mind though. I just don't think it works. It's bland, wispy, and lifeless.

I LOVE the Dolphin throwbacks, the only bad part is that the game sleeve cuts may not be available to the fans. That game style is an awesome update to the original classic look. I would buy that game style in a heartbeat if it is sold commercially.

The ones they are selling to the public now have very long sleeves and I am seriously considering getting one, having some professional alterations person cut off the striped part and shortening up the sleeves to just above the unmentionable thingy/ mark of the beast to make a 1970-72 style stripeless jersey which would REALLY be accurate.

It is HIGH TIME the Dolphins look like the Dolphins again!!!

Archived