NFL Changes 2015

Gothamite

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ravens are allowing fans (for fun) to vote on what third set of pants they should wear next year: https://twitter.com/ravens/status/679384591292059648

All of this is obviously setting up next year's inevitable all-purple color rush set.

my speculation is they're getting a feel of what people want in order to make some identity changes, if only color changes. i've always felt they could do better on color and the entire identity is heavily 90s-ish. which isn't too terrible, but i feel there couldn't be a better time than now, with Nike at the helm, to make a uniform change if they wanted to do so. i didn't like the Old Gold pants paired with the purple jersey, but i do love the Old Gold swatch they have. i experimented with some rough ideas a couple of years ago using old gold

XpY5Grx.png

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

The purple pants wouldn't be bad with gold-black-gold stripes. But they'd be paired with black socks, which would look wrong. And they'd wear them with the purple jerseys, which would look even worse. The Ravens have messed up so many details they they've taken what could be a good set and made it crap. Monochrome purple isn't some huge travesty because they've already done head-to-toe black a bunch of times. They only look decent 5-6 times a year, so no big loss on that front.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I would be perfectly fine with two sets -- purple and white at home, white and white on the road.

Other than the number font and helmet spikes, I think those two uniforms look pretty close to the "classic" football style for a uniform designed in the 90s.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Ravens are allowing fans (for fun) to vote on what third set of pants they should wear next year: https://twitter.com/ravens/status/679384591292059648

All of this is obviously setting up next year's inevitable all-purple color rush set.

my speculation is they're getting a feel of what people want in order to make some identity changes, if only color changes. i've always felt they could do better on color and the entire identity is heavily 90s-ish. which isn't too terrible, but i feel there couldn't be a better time than now, with Nike at the helm, to make a uniform change if they wanted to do so. i didn't like the Old Gold pants paired with the purple jersey, but i do love the Old Gold swatch they have. i experimented with some rough ideas a couple of years ago using old gold

XpY5Grx.png

Change that B to the raven logo in leopard's signature and I'm all for it.

YVRMUBj.png

Or at least be like that horrific School Up North (can't believe I'm encouraging teams to emulate Meatchicken) and invent another name for yellow (e.g., maize) without actually calling it either yellow or gold.

Yes, I agree, college sports are.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I don't like the use of black and purple together as the purple doesn't show well. That being said I like the idea of black/purple colors for the Ravens but have yet to see it done well. Guess my favorite solution is what TCU has done.

Nikes-New-TCU-Football-Uniform-1.JPG

I think Northwestern has done a really good job combining purple and black for the last 20+ years.

I don't like the use of black and purple together as the purple doesn't show well. That being said I like the idea of black/purple colors for the Ravens but have yet to see it done well. Guess my favorite solution is what TCU has done.

Nikes-New-TCU-Football-Uniform-1.JPG

i dont think the idea is to have a lot of contrast. i believe a ravens feathers have a purple sheen to them, or maybe im crazy? but that seems to have been the concept, to have the purple and black blend together a bit. i think thats fine.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

I don't. Having colors that blend together at any significant distance creates a muddy look. Bad design.

I agree in theory, but if a blended "muddy" look is intended, then achieved, it is successful design.. I'm not sure what the intention was, but if that was the intention, it was well executed.. I'd pick a different shade of purple for the ravens though.. Slightly less blue

I don't. Having colors that blend together at any significant distance creates a muddy look. Bad design.

the colors bleed together at distance, but i think as long as you can read the numbers and distinguish team A from team B, then the design can be pretty much whatever. whether or not one likes that look is just a matter of personal preference, but i have no strong opinion on the Ravens

GRAPHIC ARTIST

• 3 months later...
On 8/12/2015 at 9:10 PM, AgentColon2 said:

I wonder if people bitched about the excessive red white and blue in 76.

Sorry I'm coming at this a year late, but I just saw this thread.  I know the Dallas Cowboys wore read, white and blue helmet stripes to honor the Bicentennial in 1976, but my understanding is that they were the only NFL team to make such a modification to their uniform.  Were there others? In the NFL, I mean?

On 4/16/2016 at 10:53 PM, fgoodwin said:

Sorry I'm coming at this a year late, but I just saw this thread.  I know the Dallas Cowboys wore read, white and blue helmet stripes to honor the Bicentennial in 1976, but my understanding is that they were the only NFL team to make such a modification to their uniform.  Were there others? In the NFL, I mean?

Not that I can recall . . . other than maybe some patches.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived