NFL Changes 2015

Gothamite

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe that the matte finish thing is just temporary. At first glance, matte looks kind of interesting and different, but at the end of the day, traditional glossy finishes always looks better.

I'm the guy who made the Eagles kelly green matte helmet. I make lots of helmets and have experimented with matte of late. I must say, this is my most paned helmet I've ever made. I don't think it looks terrible, but it's not my favorite either. It's fun to experiment with the helmets and sometimes they look better in my head or in Photoshop, than they do in real life.

From a DIY perspective, the matte finish helmets are way easier to make. The traditional glossy requires me to let the paint job cure for a few weeks, then wet sand to get rid of any runs or "orange peel". Matte finishes go on much easier and are ready much quicker. That makes me wonder if they are also easier to mass produce and perhaps that's why we see so many of them? I doubt it, but it does make me wonder.

Check out my site at stevebcreations.com

All matte is subpar to standard gloss but matte black just might be the worst. It actually looks like it's unfinished.

I agree that matte black may be the worst. It always reminds me of the older car that someone has repaired and primed with black primer, but didn't consider it worthy of a paint job or just didn't choose to spend the money. As you said, it looks unfinished.

Matte white is the least undesirable, in my opinion...

BxWYUXDIUAIrNYU.jpg

^^least undesirable...I like that. A white matte finish is tolerable. I think darker colors like maroon and purple look okay too. I completely agree with the black matte looking like black primer on a car. It's very incomplete looking.

I believe that the matte finish thing is just temporary. At first glance, matte looks kind of interesting and different, but at the end of the day, traditional glossy finishes always looks better.

I'm the guy who made the Eagles kelly green matte helmet. I make lots of helmets and have experimented with matte of late. I must say, this is my most paned helmet I've ever made. I don't think it looks terrible, but it's not my favorite either. It's fun to experiment with the helmets and sometimes they look better in my head or in Photoshop, than they do in real life.

From a DIY perspective, the matte finish helmets are way easier to make. The traditional glossy requires me to let the paint job cure for a few weeks, then wet sand to get rid of any runs or "orange peel". Matte finishes go on much easier and are ready much quicker. That makes me wonder if they are also easier to mass produce and perhaps that's why we see so many of them? I doubt it, but it does make me wonder.

the cheapest color treatment is to direct inject color into the plastic which is why that way was the standard for 30+ years...matte's popularity is that it's still a newish and inexpensive finish so it stands out a bit but overall looks kind of cheap

All matte is subpar to standard gloss but matte black just might be the worst. It actually looks like it's unfinished.

I agree that matte black may be the worst. It always reminds me of the older car that someone has repaired and primed with black primer, but didn't consider it worthy of a paint job or just didn't choose to spend the money. As you said, it looks unfinished.

BxWYUXDIUAIrNYU.jpg

I disagree-white matte gives the helmet yellow tint sometimes.

I've always thought Maroon and Orange were the two best matte colors.

orange-bowl-10.jpg

8100524.jpg

BxWYUXDIUAIrNYU.jpg

I've always thought Maroon and Orange were the two best matte colors.

orange-bowl-10.jpg

8100524.jpg

I actually like that matte orange Bowling Green helmet. Some colors just look better with that finish than others.

Check out my site at stevebcreations.com

Totally not a fan of the Jags gradient, it needs to be black to teal, or at least rotate it so the gold is at the back coming up from the ear-hole... ugh. Just hate it.

As for the matte, I would rather see Minnesota with a dark purple like the 1970's Vikings wore... the matte just looks too violet.ff_732141_xl.jpg

BxWYUXDIUAIrNYU.jpg

True, I recall them looking yellow under the lights this past season.

Forgive me if this question has been addressed/buried somewhere in this thread...

Any word on the Eagles swapping midnight green for kelly next season?

Wouldn't this look so much better than what they have today?

eagles_kelly.jpg

Until they wear it with black jerseys and pants. Then they'll look like a high school team.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

When do you guys think we will see the new alternates? Around draft time?

Sorry if I'm late but what alternates are supposed to come out? I thought we were only getting a new Browns set so this is good news to me

GO NETS.

Does anyone know if the Rams will have new unis for sure in 2016? They can keep quiet until Nov. right, then have to announce?

I'm backfilling all the current NFL unis now that a ton of them are cheap w/ players no longer on the team. Then I can rotate current unis and 80s unis every other year in my den while the other set hangs in my daughter's room.

Does anyone know if the Rams will have new unis for sure in 2016? They can keep quiet until Nov. right, then have to announce?

NFL teams usually announce their uniforms in the March/April before the season. So even if we knew for a fact that they were changing, which we don't, we wouldn't see them for a year.

NFL teams usually announce their uniforms in the March/April before the season. So even if we knew for a fact that they were changing, which we don't, we wouldn't see them for a year.

What are you talking about, seeing them? I'm not talking about seeing, I'm just talking, knowing about them, so I won't buy 1 that I'd only have up a year. We knew for a year that the Browns were getting new unis. Same w/ Vikings, Dolphins, Jags. Bucs seemed like we had less time.

What are you talking about, seeing them? I'm not talking about seeing, I'm just talking, knowing about them, so I won't buy 1 that I'd only have up a year. We knew for a year that the Browns were getting new unis. Same w/ Vikings, Dolphins, Jags. Bucs seemed like we had less time.

There is really no set timetable for them, most of the announcements are at the team's discretion. Can't really put a finger on it, just wait

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

Owners can drop hints or confirmations early if they want. But don't forget that we didn't know the Bucs were begging new uniforms until Sapp tweeted out his teaser, which was about twenty minutes before the reveal.

And I'm not sure that the Packers or Niners have publicly announced that they'll have new alts next season.

So I don't know where you got "November" from, but it's wrong. The Rams could possibly announce today that they're changing for next season, or they could wait until a year from now and tell us when they're ready to show us.

In their case, I'm expecting a relocation announcement to come next February; a uniform announcement would likely come at the same time so the new color scheme can be prominently featured on all the LA Rams merchandise that will is instantly be for sale.

Archived