Gothamite

NFL Changes 2015

https://twitter.com/PhilHecken/status/583631131154591744

The jersey wordmark update for the Patriots

As with their end zone in the Super Bowl, I don't understand why they refuse to use a version of this wordmark without the logo underneath. This is another application where that would make way more sense.

That version exists, too. It is on the top of their website. It doesn't make ANY sense why they don't use it for anything else.

Was it just me, or did anyone else look at the Colts April Fools joke and think, "Blank template for concepts" :)

temp2014_0314_white_0116--nfl_mezz_1280_

Same. Really easy for photoshop. Maybe they're looking out for us.

As with their end zone in the Super Bowl, I don't understand why they refuse to use a version of this wordmark without the logo underneath. This is another application where that would make way more sense.

That version exists, too. It is on the top of their website. It doesn't make ANY sense why they don't use it for anything else.

I agree with the two of you. The wordmark with the logo attached is too big/tall on the front of the jersey. Plus there's no need for another Elvis with the ones on the sleeves and the helmet there already.

For some reason, the Primary Logotype (without Primary Mark) has this disclaimer:

PRIOR APPROVAL REQUIRED FOR USE OF THIS LOGOTYPE VERSION

I agree with the too of you. The word mark with the logo attached is too big/tall on the front of the jersey. Plus there's no need for another Elvis with the ones on the sleeves and the helmet there already.

Yeah, but it's hard to see the ones on the sleeves when somebody's wearing a jersey, especially if it's under a coat. There's a reason teams started putting logos front and center.

I agree with the too of you. The word mark with the logo attached is too big/tall on the front of the jersey. Plus there's no need for another Elvis with the ones on the sleeves and the helmet there already.

Yeah, but it's hard to see the ones on the sleeves when somebody's wearing a jersey, especially if it's under a coat. There's a reason teams started putting logos front and center.

The reason being "the brand needs to be more visable on people wearing unzipped coats"?

I guess that could be a thing. Half-zipped coats, especially. The athletic companies (especially Nike and UA) have started to center their logo under the collar on workout gear, but you'd think the more casual-wear companies would do it too, but they don't.

I think that's absolutely why companies are doing it. It's prime real estate, you see it head-on when talking to a person, it's in most photographs of people, and it's not obscured by hoodies or jackets or open shirts layered on top of them.

Isn't that one of the reasons Nike's not very interested in the MLB jersey contract? Because for a much smaller fee they can do this:

derek-jeter-20.jpg

I've been playing around with my new template and figured I'd mock up three different possibilities for the new Dolphins alternate. I will post them in the order I think will be most likely:

50th season throwback

vatf8.png

Dark blue alternate

5y4wt2.png

Orange alternate

2wq5x0n.png

The orange jersey looks out of place because of the problem with the uniforms not having enough orange.

My guess is it will the the alternate blue one.

I've been playing around with my new template and figured I'd mock up three different possibilities for the new Dolphins alternate. I will post them in the order I think will be most likely:

50th season throwback

vatf8.png

Dark blue alternate

5y4wt2.png

Orange alternate

2wq5x0n.png

That throwback would be really nice... the orange socks are a nice quirky plus. However, I disagree that it's the most likely. Unfortunately, I think we're getting the blue one... it's the most marketable to the average fan IMO.

Agreed

50th season throwback

vatf8.png

Dark blue alternate

5y4wt2.png

Orange alternate

2wq5x0n.png

That throwback would be really nice... the orange socks are a nice quirky plus. However, I disagree that it's the most likely. Unfortunately, I think we're getting the blue one... it's the most marketable to the average fan IMO.

Agreed. I also am on board with thinking its most likely a blue jersey. Seems like Orange is definitely just an accent now.

Bengals with a decent April Fools'-related uniform prank, too (though it came way after noon).

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Bengals-reveal-NEW-logo-for-2015/bee575b1-a6cb-48b1-a5b6-e65be3939058

Nice dig at the Browns.

The more important thing is we now know there IS in fact a number set included in the Bengals' custom font. (Check the years.)

I don't know about y'all but I'd love to see them on their uniforms in place of that DIN trash they have on there now.

You know, a lil something like this...

a75ef0c83b6ad7fee518abcfdf90e975.png

Here's the full set from Mark Verlander's portfolio. There's a lot of interesting stuff that he's posted from his other NFL rebrands on there as well. http://www.verlanderdesign.com

verlander.nfl.bengals.15.jpg?format=750wThank the football gods they didn't use the tiger stripe pants:

IMG_20150403_165539_zpsvttsz0q4.jpg

So the NFL is kinda helping us along in thinking it did not exist pre-Super Bowl.

The Super Bowl really changed everything for the NFL, so that's why the 50th game is so important. The popularity of the league in overtaking baseball coincided with this event, and I don't think the pre Super Bowl era is being ignored. NFL Films did not exist before 1960, so that plays a role in terms of exposure for that era. Before the Super Bowl, teams were either awarded as champions by winning a lone division of teams, or later, the east or west champion was given home field advantage for the title game. The Super Bowl just took the title game and sport to a different level, so it's fair to say the SB titles are slightly more valuable than what happened before.

I say go crazy with the gold... for the Super Bowl. It's crazy to take over your whole league's brand for the entire year (as Colorwerx said, it's Thanksgiving, Draft, Kickoff, etc.) for the anniversary of a championship game.

This is what I meant. When I first heard "celebration of 50 Super Bowls" or whatever, I was fine with it, but when they are using a 50 Super Bowl logo all year on everything, it kinda reinforces the burying of pre-Super Bowl history.

The NFL started in 1920 so it's 100th is not too far off. I think it would be fantastic to use that all year in 2019 (at the risk of opening up a 2019/2020 debate). But now they'll either have to come up with something else or maybe they'll even just ignore it.

I'd honestly rather them just ignore it, but 2019 would make the most sense to celebrate because 50 was observed in '69

Fred-Dryer-New-York-Giants-December-21-1

Something like that patch on all the jerseys for that year would be awesome. Especially if they put it on a shoulder as a nod to this patch.

Bengals with a decent April Fools'-related uniform prank, too (though it came way after noon).

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Bengals-reveal-NEW-logo-for-2015/bee575b1-a6cb-48b1-a5b6-e65be3939058

Nice dig at the Browns.

The more important thing is we now know there IS in fact a number set included in the Bengals' custom font. (Check the years.)

I don't know about y'all but I'd love to see them on their uniforms in place of that DIN trash they have on there now.

Here's the full set from Mark Verlander's portfolio. There's a lot of interesting stuff that he's posted from his other NFL rebrands on there as well. http://www.verlanderdesign.com

Thank the football gods they didn't use the tiger stripe pants:

IMG_20150403_165539_zpsvttsz0q4.jpg

Bengals uniforms would be a lot better with the solid outline rather than the drop-shadow. Wouldn't be surprised if they did an update in the next few years.

Nice dig at the Browns.

verlander.nfl.bengals.15.jpg?format=750w

Thank the football gods they didn't use the tiger stripe pants:

IMG_20150403_165539_zpsvttsz0q4.jpg judging by "04" I'm assuming this was a proposed change back in 2004? I think you could've gotten away with tiger stripe pants in the '70s or '80s. Hell even early '90s but not mid 2000s

So the NFL is kinda helping us along in thinking it did not exist pre-Super Bowl.

The Super Bowl really changed everything for the NFL, so that's why the 50th game is so important. The popularity of the league in overtaking baseball coincided with this event, and I don't think the pre Super Bowl era is being ignored. NFL Films did not exist before 1960, so that plays a role in terms of exposure for that era. Before the Super Bowl, teams were either awarded as champions by winning a lone division of teams, or later, the east or west champion was given home field advantage for the title game. The Super Bowl just took the title game and sport to a different level, so it's fair to say the SB titles are slightly more valuable than what happened before.

I say go crazy with the gold... for the Super Bowl. It's crazy to take over your whole league's brand for the entire year (as Colorwerx said, it's Thanksgiving, Draft, Kickoff, etc.) for the anniversary of a championship game.

This is what I meant. When I first heard "celebration of 50 Super Bowls" or whatever, I was fine with it, but when they are using a 50 Super Bowl logo all year on everything, it kinda reinforces the burying of pre-Super Bowl history.

The NFL started in 1920 so it's 100th is not too far off. I think it would be fantastic to use that all year in 2019 (at the risk of opening up a 2019/2020 debate). But now they'll either have to come up with something else or maybe they'll even just ignore it.

I'd honestly rather them just ignore it, but 2019 would make the most sense to celebrate because 50 was observed in '69

Fred-Dryer-New-York-Giants-December-21-1

Something like that patch on all the jerseys for that year would be awesome. Especially if they put it on a shoulder as a nod to this patch.
I don't think a shoulder patch would work today because teams have so much stuff on their shoulders now between numbers, stripes and logos, like for the patriots you wouldn't beavle to put the logo on the shoulder with out covering something up

Yeah the 50th patch looks cool in that photo because there isn't anything going on with the rest of the (real) sleeve. Remember, sleeves are rare, and TV numbers now take up most of the space.

Yeah the 50th patch looks cool in that photo because there isn't anything going on with the rest of the (real) sleeve. Remember, sleeves are rare, and TV numbers now take up most of the space.

I was thinkingthe patch could replace the TV numbers, similar to what Atlanta did for their 25th anniversary