Gothamite

NFL Changes 2015

DAN%20MARINO%20RECORD%20FOOTBALL%20DOLPH

I'd even settle for this version where the aqua/white/orange outline in the numbers is reduced to aqua/orange.

I'd even settle for this version where the aqua/white/orange outline in the numbers is reduced to aqua/orange.

Yeah. That's my favorite. I have a particular loathing for offset outlines, so this one with a single orange outline around aqua numbers is perfect.

a_j_duhe_1983_01_30.jpg

And here's the blue version of the Dolphins jersey (love the pants striping too)...

Called it. Only disappointment for me is that they said it will be worn only once this season. In my opinion, this is much more preferable to a blue or orange jersey.

vatf8.png

2wd9iyt.png

This was the pic they used at the announcement.

CEk8G_6WIAA4K0i.jpg

The helmet logos are different in those two photos. Various online sites don't seem to agree on when each was used, but this site says the one on the left began in 1974, not 1966.

I seem to recall that when they introduced the second one, they didn't entirely replace the first on every player's helmet. That might be causing the confusion.

This picture was supposedly taken November 24, 1968:

houston_antwine_1968_11_24.jpg

This program is from 1968 as well: http://www.grayflannelsuit.net/ephemera/afl-programs/1968/1968-season-mia-den.html

So the bigger dolphin (usually called out-of-sun, right?) seems to be the original, while the smaller dolphin (in-sun) arrived in the 70s, and only for a few years.

From 1971, in-sun

71-12-4.jpg

The Buccaneers 40th season patch:

Bucs_40thSeason_WEB.png

The number font looks so much better without the alarm clock dashes inside the digits.

(that's not saying much, though)

Yeah. That's my favorite. I have a particular loathing for offset outlines, so this one with a single orange outline around aqua numbers is perfect.

a_j_duhe_1983_01_30.jpg

And here's the blue version of the Dolphins jersey (love the pants striping too)...

Are those from different years or did they really have different sets of white pants for each jersey?

If they did have different pants, then they're wearing them wrong - the aqua center stripe goes better with the white jersey, and the orange center stripe goes with the aqua jersey.

They really only need the orange center striped ones.

Bucs_40thSeason_WEB.png

The 9, 6, and 5 are PAINFUL to look at, shiny slashes or no. Not a good choice for a small application.

a_j_duhe_1983_01_30.jpg

Are those from different years or did they really have different sets of white pants for each jersey?

If they did have different pants, then they're wearing them wrong - the aqua center stripe goes better with the white jersey, and the orange center stripe goes with the aqua jersey.

Different years. The Marino picture is from '95 or '96.

The bottom pic is from '82 or '83. The Skins had the curled feather logo for one season - 1982, I think.

Ah you're right. Didn't even notice Washington's logo. That was because the other decals were ripping or something?

Bucs_40thSeason_WEB.png

The 9, 6, and 5 are PAINFUL to look at, shiny slashes or no. Not a good choice for a small application.

Yea very interesting font usage. Why use such a bland font (in comparison) for the large application and a complicated one for the small application. Should be flipped (not that I like the font, but it seems odd. Using the simple font in both instances would be best-case IMO.)

Why can nike make beautiful, and I mean BEAUTIFUL re brands for college football, then come right back and take a dump on the NFL??

You don't understand the client/provider relationship.

Amen to that!

People who write the checks (teams) tend to have opinions, and those are more often than not, really really bad.

Ah you're right. Didn't even notice Washington's logo. That was because the other decals were ripping or something?

That was exactly the reason. Back then, the decals weren't the thick 20 millimeter convex vinyl that they are today. They were of thinner more brittle material. It was around that same time that they got it right, hence the move back to the straight feather in '83.

a_j_duhe_1983_01_30.jpg

The bottom pic is from '82 or '83. The Skins had the curled feather logo for one season - 1982, I think.

The Marino photo is from no later than 1993, because that's not-yet-bloated Scott Mitchell in the background wearing #19, I'm pretty sure. The bottom picture (aqua, not blue, btw) is almost definitely from Super Bowl XVII.

a_j_duhe_1983_01_30.jpg

The Marino photo is from no later than 1993, because that's not-yet-bloated Scott Mitchell in the background wearing #19, I'm pretty sure. The bottom picture (aqua, not blue, btw) is almost definitely from Super Bowl XVII.

...or is it Bernie Kosar? I'm thinking it looks a little more like Kosar. Scratch that, definitely Kosar. He played for the Dolphins from 1994 through 1996, so that puts the Marino year right on the money. My apologies.

a_j_duhe_1983_01_30.jpg

...or is it Bernie Kosar? I'm thinking it looks a little more like Kosar. Scratch that, definitely Kosar. He played for the Dolphins from 1994 through 1996, so that puts the Marino year right on the money. My apologies.

Now I'm obsessed with figuring that out. The website http://www.gridiron-uniforms.com/ seems to indicate that it's 1995's jersey and 1996's pants. I'd guess '95? lol