NFL Changes 2015

Gothamite

This was the pic they used at the announcement.

CEk8G_6WIAA4K0i.jpg

The helmet logos are different in those two photos. Various online sites don't seem to agree on when each was used, but this site says the one on the left began in 1974, not 1966.

The logo on the right is actually the original, used for the first few games of the Dolphins inaugural 1966 season...around game 3 or 4, they changed to the one on the left, which lasted thru 1968.

In 1969, the original version returned...then, late in the 1973 season, some players started wearing a smaller version of the version on the left, which became the main logo in 1974.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always thought the one on the right was the original until recently looking at photos of players in the first few seasons, which contained a version like the one on the left, which wasn't replaced until around the Griese era with the one on the right, then mid 70's went back to the one on the left.. But as you said, I guess the one on the right was actually there briefly beforehand? Not doubting you at all, but where are you getting this info? I've been a dolphins fan my whole life but wasn't born until the 80's, so I'm just very curious about the history.. Thanks!

DAN%20MARINO%20RECORD%20FOOTBALL%20DOLPH

I'd even settle for this version where the aqua/white/orange outline in the numbers is reduced to aqua/orange.

Yeah. That's my favorite. I have a particular loathing for offset outlines, so this one with a single orange outline around aqua numbers is perfect.

a_j_duhe_1983_01_30.jpg

And here's the blue version of the Dolphins jersey (love the pants striping too)...

Are those from different years or did they really have different sets of white pants for each jersey?

If they did have different pants, then they're wearing them wrong - the aqua center stripe goes better with the white jersey, and the orange center stripe goes with the aqua jersey.

They really only need the orange center striped ones.

Different years. The Marino picture is from '95 or '96.

The bottom pic is from '82 or '83. The Skins had the curled feather logo for one season - 1982, I think.

The Marino photo is from no later than 1993, because that's not-yet-bloated Scott Mitchell in the background wearing #19, I'm pretty sure. The bottom picture (aqua, not blue, btw) is almost definitely from Super Bowl XVII.
That's ABSOLUTELY Bernie Kosar.

I'd even settle for this version where the aqua/white/orange outline in the numbers is reduced to aqua/orange.

Yeah. That's my favorite. I have a particular loathing for offset outlines, so this one with a single orange outline around aqua numbers is perfect.

And here's the blue version of the Dolphins jersey (love the pants striping too)...

Are those from different years or did they really have different sets of white pants for each jersey?

If they did have different pants, then they're wearing them wrong - the aqua center stripe goes better with the white jersey, and the orange center stripe goes with the aqua jersey.

They really only need the orange center striped ones.

Different years. The Marino picture is from '95 or '96.

The bottom pic is from '82 or '83. The Skins had the curled feather logo for one season - 1982, I think.

The Marino photo is from no later than 1993, because that's not-yet-bloated Scott Mitchell in the background wearing #19, I'm pretty sure. The bottom picture (aqua, not blue, btw) is almost definitely from Super Bowl XVII.

...or is it Bernie Kosar? I'm thinking it looks a little more like Kosar. Scratch that, definitely Kosar. He played for the Dolphins from 1994 through 1996, so that puts the Marino year right on the money. My apologies.

Now I'm obsessed with figuring that out. The website http://www.gridiron-uniforms.com/ seems to indicate that it's 1995's jersey and 1996's pants. I'd guess '95? lol

It was 1995. The Wilson red and black W/S logo (I think it meant Wilson Sport or Wilson Staff) was only around for 1995. Plus I'm 99% sure that picture is Dan Marino setting the all-time passing yards mark, which happened in 1995.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12913780/uni-watch-power-rankings-nfl-best-worst-uniforms

Paul Lukas put out his NFL power rankings. Not much to note...I agree with some things and disagree with others.

The most interesting paragraph was on #31: the Bengals. As others here have pointed out, he said the Bengals have crossed from "uniform" to "costume". But he said something I'll never be able to un-see: "The striped panel on the pants even looks like a tail." I doubt this was the intent, but now I will always feel that they are in "full-fledged dress up like tigers" mode.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12913780/uni-watch-power-rankings-nfl-best-worst-uniforms

Paul Lukas put out his NFL power rankings. Not much to note...I agree with some things and disagree with others.

The most interesting paragraph was on #31: the Bengals. As others here have pointed out, he said the Bengals have crossed from "uniform" to "costume". But he said something I'll never be able to un-see: "The striped panel on the pants even looks like a tail." I doubt this was the intent, but now I will always feel that they are in "full-fledged dress up like tigers" mode.

One consolation I take from the Bengals annual early exit from the playoffs is that, if the franchise ever plays in another Super Bowl, I hope it's not in these uniforms. They are an embarrassment and I hate them that much.

That being said, I have never and will never understand the love for the Pittsburgh Steelers' uniforms. Would they be ranked so highly if they'd never played in a Super Bowl? I seriously doubt it. Therefore, Lukas is ranking the uniforms not just on the uniforms themselves, but on the accomplishments of the teams that have worn it.

Now I'm obsessed with figuring that out. The website http://www.gridiron-uniforms.com/ seems to indicate that it's 1995's jersey and 1996's pants. I'd guess '95? lol

It was 1995. The Wilson red and black W/S logo (I think it meant Wilson Sport or Wilson Staff) was only around for 1995. Plus I'm 99% sure that picture is Dan Marino setting the all-time passing yards mark, which happened in 1995.

Those are 1994 pants, note the red "W" logo on the pants, which was a 94 thing. Compare to the 1995 W/S logo on the jersey.

Lukas notes that the Bucs' facemask is chrome. But it's not reflective chrome as we see all too often in college. It's more of a brushed "chrome" look, and it's much more pleasant (IMO) than the mirrored finish.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

One consolation I take from the Bengals annual early exit from the playoffs is that, if the franchise ever plays in another Super Bowl, I hope it's not in these uniforms. They are an embarrassment and I hate them that much.

That being said, I have never and will never understand the love for the Pittsburgh Steelers' uniforms. Would they be ranked so highly if they'd never played in a Super Bowl? I seriously doubt it. Therefore, Lukas is ranking the uniforms not just on the uniforms themselves, but on the accomplishments of the teams that have worn it.

Actually I do think the Steelers uniforms would receive a lot of love (not quite as much as now) if they hadn't won all those SBs. Quite a lot of people praised the Browns uniforms even though they've sucked since even before they were conceived, so I think it's as much an appreciation of bold contrast and old-school grit that gets the Steelers uniforms so much love.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

agree, if the jags picked one color, they'd be passable. Bucs are going to take more than one change.

I'll disagree. I would rather the jags fix their helmet over the Bucs fixing their entire uniforms.

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

Archived