NFL Changes 2015

Gothamite

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watched some of the 2010 SB last night between Indy and NO.

What jumped out is how vibrant the Saints uniforms looked. When you don't see them anymore, you forget how good shiny pants look compared to everyone and their sister wearing the drab matte crap today.

The matte craze needs to be toned way down. Maybe a few teams look good with it but for teams like the Saints, losing their shine from the gold britches has been a big loss. The Pats are another team that looks stupid with shiny silver helmets and dirty grey pants or dirty navy pants. Its a uniform downgrade across football.

I totally agree. It looks good on certain teams like ones with yellow pants, purple pants, black pants, red pants, and navy pants) but looks horrible on teams with gold pants, green pants, and grey/silver pants it looks horrible except for a few. Look at the differences...

desean_jackson_2010_11_28.jpg

Desean+Jackson+Indianapolis+Colts+v+Phil

vs

sanchez.jpg

459659068.jpg

nfl-2008-tom-brady-throwing-qb-new-engla

vs

ap_bears_patriots_football_68293336.jpg

I can't be the only person that thinks the Eagles and Patriots both look better with matte, right?

I might be the only person who cares about this topic, but does anyone know what is the deal with the Detroit Lions throwback jersey?

When Nike took over the Lions discussed the idea of bringing back the throwback uniform, but then went silent.

Last year, they confirmed that they would keep the throwback, but didn't say when they would actually use it (http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2014/03/detroit_lions_wont_change_unif.html)

Hopefully the fact that the Lions' throwback jersey is included in the list of alternates is good news for me - and hopefully someone here can answer the following 2 questions:

1) does the fact that the jersey is on the list a) guarantees that the Lions will use it next year, or B) only confirms that the Lions have the option to use it, but might decide not to exercise that option?

2) regardless of the answer in 1), if it is in the list, does that mean that I should be able to purchase the jersey through a retailer? It is not available on nflshop.com, but there might be a retailer that would accept to place a special order?

Since Nike took over I have been dreaming about purchasing this jersey (the Elite version). So simple, yet so perfect. And I love that shade of blue - dark enough, but with a slight hint of turquoise in it...

Thanks in advance for the answers...

Considering that Nike couldn't figure out how to create the Eagles' shade of green until well into the season, I wouldn't put my trust in them to recreate "that shade of blue".

But as to the jersey itself, sounds like it's in their style guide to wear if they want, but won't necessarily be manufactured until they decide to actually wear it (in an upcoming year).

If it's not for sale on the NFL shop, or the Lions' own shop, then I don't think it's going to be available anywhere. Those would be the places to get it.

What jumped out is how vibrant the Saints uniforms looked. When you don't see them anymore, you forget how good shiny pants look compared to everyone and their sister wearing the drab matte crap today.

The matte craze needs to be toned way down. Maybe a few teams look good with it but for teams like the Saints, losing their shine from the gold britches has been a big loss. The Pats are another team that looks stupid with shiny silver helmets and dirty grey pants or dirty navy pants. Its a uniform downgrade across football.

I totally agree. It looks good on certain teams like ones with yellow pants, purple pants, black pants, red pants, and navy pants) but looks horrible on teams with gold pants, green pants, and grey/silver pants it looks horrible except for a few. Look at the differences...

vs

sanchez.jpg

459659068.jpg

vs

I can't be the only person that thinks the Eagles and Patriots both look better with matte, right?

I think most teams look better with matte.

Thank you for the prompt reply - your answer makes sense, and so it is probably as I feared, I might have to be patient for a little bit longer...

Re your comments about Nike struggling to create the Eagles' shade of green, I wonder if maybe Nike has been trying - and struggling - to recreate the Lions' throwback blue for the last few years, and that is the reason why the Lions have not released the jersey yet? From a business standpoint, it should be a no-brainer for the Lions to release the throwback jersey: increase revenues with a safe/non-controversial jersey.

Speaking of having too much of one color, there are too many navy/dark blue home uniforms in the NFL:

Titans (going back to navy as primary next year)

Bears

Seahawks

Rams

Patriots

Texans

Chargers

I didn't count the Cowboys for obvious reasons. If they wore the navy as the primary, we would have exactly 1/4 of the league in that color. Even 7, as it presently stands, is way too many.

There's too much black.

Raiders

Steelers

Bengals

Saints

Ravens

Cardinals

Eagles

Jaguars

I personally feel that most teams look much worse with matte. I can understand the preferences for matte jerseys, and even matte pants on teams like the Bears and Steelers. But I don't see how anybody could think matte pants look good on teams that have sparkly helmets. I'm absolutely baffled how anybody can think matte pants look better on the Patriots, when they're actually altering the team's color and using gray instead of silver.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Speaking of having too much of one color, there are too many navy/dark blue home uniforms in the NFL:

Bears

Seahawks

Rams

Patriots

Texans

Chargers

I didn't count the Cowboys for obvious reasons. If they wore the navy as the primary, we would have exactly 1/4 of the league in that color. Even 7, as it presently stands, is way too many.

There's too much black.

Raiders

Steelers

Bengals

Saints

Ravens

Cardinals

Eagles

Jaguars

The Ravens, Cardinals and Eagles only wear black as alternates. Aside from the Bengals all the other teams are fine wearing black (and the Bengals would be too if it weren't for those side panels)

vs

sanchez.jpg

459659068.jpg

vs

the Cowboys silver-green home pants are actually pretty shiny, so teams are just deciding not to use them I guess. It has nothing to do with Nike or anything, weird

I personally feel that most teams look much worse with matte. I can understand the preferences for matte jerseys, and even matte pants on teams like the Bears and Steelers. But I don't see how anybody could think matte pants look good on teams that have sparkly helmets. I'm absolutely baffled how anybody can think matte pants look better on the Patriots, when they're actually altering the team's color and using gray instead of silver.

Because I think it looks better. Shiny pants look cheap and tacky to me. I think when pants are shiny it takes away from the colour of the pants. And I'm fine with matte pants and sparkly helmets because I understand the pants and helmet are two different pieces of equipment.

Bears
Seahawks
Rams
Patriots
Texans
Chargers

There's too much black.

Raiders

Steelers

Bengals

Saints

Ravens

Cardinals

Eagles

Jaguars

Maybe it's just me, but it did seem like a more colorful league in the 1970s, and I liked it.

NFL+Jackets+Pages+50+and+51+1975.jpg

Because I think it looks better. Shiny pants look cheap and tacky to me. I think when pants are shiny it takes away from the colour of the pants. And I'm fine with matte pants and sparkly helmets because I understand the pants and helmet are two different pieces of equipment.

And I feel the exact opposite. I think matte looks incredibly cheap. Like someone went to JoAnn Fabrics and bought materials to make a Halloween costume for their kid, which was accurate outside of the materials. I don't think players should be in head-to-toe spandex, but I think the pants should be shiny, especially when they are intended to match the metallic helmet color. Because if you aren't bothered by the Patriots' dirty, washed-out looking gray pants, you should call for them to go to a light gray helmet to match the rest of the uniform. Like I said, it's a preference, but I can't understand how anyone would think sparkly metallic silver combined with light gray is a good look.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived