NFL Changes 2015

Gothamite

Well, typically, it's aesthetically ideal for the team's helmet to match their pants. The Titans wearing anything but white pants will not be pleasing to the eye.

Some of the best uniforms in the NFL and college have helmets that are different colors than the pants.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, typically, it's aesthetically ideal for the team's helmet to match their pants. The Titans wearing anything but white pants will not be pleasing to the eye.

Some of the best uniforms in the NFL and college have helmets that are different colors than the pants.

Not saying that you're wrong, but can you provide examples? After a quick review, the only time that it's okay that a team's helmet doesn't match the pants is when the helmet and jersey are the same color, which becomes irrelevant with the road jerseys.

Not saying that you're wrong, but can you provide examples?

Here are a couple of mine

Peppers_inside122112.jpg11779676.jpgmichigan.jpg

My edited post explains the first two. When the Bears and Chiefs hit the road, it's best if they wear blue or red pants, respectively. Michigan is the outlier, but there is a significant amount of yellow on the lid that makes it acceptable to me. Wouldn't mind seeing blue pants for s**** and giggles, though...

Not necessarily. There are three prime elements to a football uniform (helmet, jersey, pants) and I think as long as two of those match, then it's an aesthetically pleasing look in most cases. So the Titans with their helmet and white jersey works for me and it isn't a big difference to me which of their pants they pair with it.

I agree with this. As long as two of the "prime elements" matches it looks good. But with lighter shells (like the Packers, Cowboys, Raiders, Saints, Lions, Titans and etc.) the uniform looks better when the pants are the same color.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Not saying that you're wrong, but can you provide examples? After a quick review, the only time that it's okay that a team's helmet doesn't match the pants is when the helmet and jersey are the same color, which becomes irrelevant with the road jerseys.

You probably shouldn't talk in so many absolutes.

This jersey was pretty good.

boomer_esiason_1986_11_23.jpg

This one was good too.

jim-kelly.jpg

This team recently downgraded from this:

2012_09_browns_bills_preview.jpg

And this is still one of the best:

john-elway-denver-broncos-scramble-autog

I must agree with Andrew - light-colored helmets should always match the pants. If the shell is white, then I'd always put the team in white pants, even on the road. All-white is better than their white/white/blue, which looks unbalanced to me.

This might be one of the best road uniforms of all time.

warren_moon_1991_12_21.jpg

And this has never been a bad look for BYU:

585503.jpg

Seriously, we have to get away from "this part must match this part to look good" conversations. There are always exceptions to these "rules" and usually the exceptions blow away whatever three uniforms people are thinking of when they made the rule.

You probably shouldn't talk in so many absolutes.

This jersey was pretty good.

boomer_esiason_1986_11_23.jpg

This one was good too.

jim-kelly.jpg

This team recently downgraded from this:

2012_09_browns_bills_preview.jpg

The Bengals look like a hot mess no matter what they wear; the Bills look far superior with a white helmet; and the Browns should have worn orange pants with their Brown jerseys I'll admit I misspoke when I spoke in absolutes and said "the only time," but that remains true pretty much outside of Michigan, USC, Iowa, and the Steelers.

Seriously, we have to get away from "this part must match this part to look good" conversations. There are always exceptions to these "rules" and usually the exceptions blow away whatever three uniforms people are thinking of when they made the rule.

There are fewer exceptions to this "rule" than there are that follow it.

The fact there are plenty of exceptions really doesn't prove your "rule" is correct, either. We get it. You have your likes. They're definitely not "rules" though, so asserting them as such is kind of lame.

And there's nothing wrong with discussing our rules in general or the teams we think can get away with being the exception.

Hahahaha ^^^ ok. I prefer my rules and preferences over yours anytime.

And that's fine, as we are allowed to have different opinions. I never said that it was a rule, I just stated that I believe teams look best by following said pattern. If we created a list of our top 10 uniforms of all time, I'm sure they would differ drastically. And that's okay.

In jest, it's easy to tell that you grew up in different decade than I. You can keep your shimmer jerseys and plastic facemasks lol.

And there's nothing wrong with discussing our rules in general or the teams we think can get away with being the exception.

People really need to realize that aesthetic "rules" aren't as dead-set as they might appear to be. At the end of the day? It's all subjective. There are certainly some things that most people tend to agree look better most of the time, which where many "rules" come from, but it's all ultimately in the eye of the beholder.

Andrew thinks that classic Bengals set looks like a "hot mess." To me? It looks great. Neither of us are really right or wrong, which makes applying a "rule" very difficult.

The closest I've seen to an absolute rule in aesthetics is the old heraldry rule of colours not touching colours and metals not touching metals. Everything else is sort of a general guideline rather then a proper "rule."

In jest, it's easy to tell that you grew up in different decade than I. You can keep your shimmer jerseys and plastic facemasks lol.

Even in jest, this sort of thing really bugs me. Most of my favourite all-time looks pre-date my birth by decades.

I probably have less hard and fast "rules" than most people here would guess about me, but here's a good one;

When the helmet and pants are the same color, the stripes on both should match. The Saints uniform is so irritating to me.

(And, right away, here are a few exceptions...I think you can get away with it if you just leave the stripes off the helmet, like the most previous Buccaneer set. Also, for some reason, it doesn't bother me when a team with only one color has a double stripe on the pants but only a single stripe on the helmet... Nebraska, Tennessee, the Colts, etc.)

I probably have less hard and fast "rules" than most people here would guess about me, but here's a good one;

When the helmet and pants are the same color, the stripes on both should match.

This right here is what bothers me most about the Titans. You have the craptastic tapered helmet stripes up top and the classic brashier stripes on the pants. Throw in their terrible color blocking (all 3 colors consistently compete for visual dominance) and a lackluster number font, and you're begging for a long overdue update.

Midway.png

Where does silver pants fit in the mix?

5-deion-sanders-atlanta-falcons-1989_pg_

That whole look is a brilliant mess. It highlights what I mean when I say rules aren't all that steadfast. By my own standards? This should be terrible. Yet I can't help but love it.

Where does silver pants fit in the mix?

5-deion-sanders-atlanta-falcons-1989_pg_

That whole look is a brilliant mess. It highlights what I mean when I say rules aren't all that steadfast. By my own standards? This should be terrible. Yet I can't help but love it.

Re-introducing silver to their color scheme would be a great decision. Red, silver, and black makes a great color scheme. They could do it while making the uniform design unique enough to differentiate from UGA if necessary. It certainly helps that they have a history with the color.

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

Archived