NFL Changes 2015

Gothamite

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Subtlety goes a long way. They should use the normal NFL logo and just go with the gold 50. After all, it's just the freaking Super Bowl, not the 50th year of the league. But I guess it won't make that much of a difference because only putzes put the NFL logo at midfield.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Subtlety goes a long way. They should use the normal NFL logo and just go with the gold 50. After all, it's just the freaking Super Bowl, not the 50th year of the league. But I guess it won't make that much of a difference because only putzes put the NFL logo at midfield.

By this do you meant that most teams don't put the NFL logo at midfield? If so, I wonder if they are all going to do it this year (and whether teams like Minnesota and Pittsburgh, who share stadiums with college teams will). I could see the NFL asking/telling all teams to do it.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

By this do you meant that most teams don't put the NFL logo at midfield? If so, I wonder if they are all going to do it this year (and whether teams like Minnesota and Pittsburgh, who share stadiums with college teams will). I could see the NFL asking/telling all teams to do it.

I wondered that myself after seeing the screenshot...

I doubt it but I could see them doing it.

Yes. MetLife Stadium does the NFL logo because they don't want to change out midfield turf every game, and that's understandable. But the Panthers do it because the owner says dumb :censored: like "We want to honor the NFL because we are just so grateful to the NFL for giving this fine city a team." To my knowledge, the 29 other teams all use their logo at midfield. The Vikings painted their logo at midfield last season, and I think Heinz Field now alternates between the Steelers logo and a white circle with PITT during the Panthers' season.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

My NFL (even Vikings) watching has plummeted, but I know in the Dome, there was no midfield logo until the college season was over, then the Vikes would put it there. Perhaps the alternating is easier now.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Yes. MetLife Stadium does the NFL logo because they don't want to change out midfield turf every game, and that's understandable. But the Panthers do it because the owner says dumb :censored: like "We want to honor the NFL because we are just so grateful to the NFL for giving this fine city a team." To my knowledge, the 29 other teams all use their logo at midfield. The Vikings painted their logo at midfield last season, and I think Heinz Field now alternates between the Steelers logo and a white circle with PITT during the Panthers' season.

Wow, the owner is kind of out of touch. Found this article on it : http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=3223598

They also don't have a public address announcer or hype music. There is, however, a pregame prayer.

Say what you will. Sure, it's great he doesn't budge, but you gotta play up the crowd for a home field advantage. That's why Seattle cleverly designed their stadium in a way that traps sound (sorry to break it to you Seahawks fans, you're not ACTUALLY that loud).

Yeah. With turf, they had to take out and replace entire sections. The Giants/Jets elected to do that with the endzone portions at the new stadium, because they wanted the color as bold as possible and there's not much traffic in the endzone. They decided against using team logos at midfield and swapping out the turf because they feared imperfect turf there could potentially lead to injuries.

Anyway, while they couldn't easily paint Astroturf, they have paint for FieldTurf which washes away with chemicals. The former turf at TFC Stadium had the UM logos sewn in as different colored turf. However, they replaced it was a blank field last year and now paint the endzones and midfield logo differently for the Vikings and Gophers games.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

My NFL (even Vikings) watching has plummeted, but I know in the Dome, there was no midfield logo until the college season was over, then the Vikes would put it there. Perhaps the alternating is easier now.

It was like that when it was astrotruf before they installed field turf in the dome. Field turf can be painted on like grass.

When USF has a home game the day before the Buccaneers use RayJay, they have a bunch of different strategies. They often leave midfield blank, but lately, they've been painting a small U logo at midfield, small enough to be covered by the Bucs' flag the next day. But my favorite, just out of sheer strangeness, is when they paint the Bulls logo inside the Buccaneers flag.

JDBHMJDIZYMTTBQ.20051213004106.jpg

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

White facemasks universally suck.

You universally suck. Seriously though, it depends on the helmet. I loved it with the Browns helmet. It played off the white stripe, it showed white on the helmet for a team that wore white jerseys almost exclusively over that period. It just looked right to me. Now, I think the Chiefs' helmet is absolutely perfect. I think the white facemasks for them are an iconic look. I generally dislike white facemasks on white helmets. You're probably just jaded from those years the Vikings wore white facemasks. And just to be that guy, I'd like to see the Vikings bring back the white masks. :P

OK, I may have been overstating for effect slightly by saying ALL white masks suck. I can think of three that work for me, all colleges. Michigan State, Oklahoma, and Texas. So I'll amend my statement to 99% of all white facemasks suck, happy? :D

Steelers, Vikings, and Bears would look atrocious with anything other than shell-colored masks (yes, I know the Vikings currently have non-shell-colored masks, and I hate it - purple would be infinitely superior)..

Redskins - yellow is so bright, a departure would look jarringly drab

Chiefs - close enough to white, it could look ok, but nowhere near as good as white

Jets - such a stark departure from green would look jarring, unless they switched to green shells

Patriots & Lions - could get away with it for the same reason the Raiders/Cowboys do, but IMO, it would be a downgrade for both

The Steelers could pull off gray facemasks pretty easily, just like they did in the 70s. The gray facemask would complement the gray outline of the logo.

Being able to pull it off and improving the look are two different things.. Everyone used to wear grey masks because that's the only color that existed, but even some "newer" teams like Miami have been around since the grey only era, so it's not like it's really that much of a "classic" thing.. At this point, it just looks cheap and lazy unless it truly improves the look.. The Steelers in anything other than black is a downgrade

When I made my list of teams that could pull off a gray ask a couple pages back, I wasn't saying that they all would necessarily look better in gray, just that they could all make it work.

Let me break down that list further...

Teams that would work in a gray mask but should probably stick with what they have;

Steelers

Jets

Vikings

Bears (although, this one is close...the thought of that unchanged-since-forever uniform with a gray mask gives me the fuzzies)

Teams that could switch to gray because their current mask color was a very bad choice (although there are other colors that might be better choices);

Patriots (Navy)

Redskins (Burgundy)

Lions (Blue)

Teams for whom gray is the only choice:

Chiefs - because red would be ugly, yellow/gold would be worse, and white facemasks universally suck.

Ohh...better choice than gray. I am amending my post...NOBODY should change to gray.

If the Steelers go to grey, the following should happen, return to the block numerals/letterings, black cleats, maybe a matte helmet to replace the current one

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

We all know by now that the team-issued shorts are in no way indicative of what a team's pants will or may ook like. However, I would not be opposed to the Bears wearing orange pants with their home jersey. I think it looks pretty good:https://instagram.com/p/4DOJJWPCpt/

Only with the home jersey, though. When worn with the road jersey, as we've seen on Madden, it isn't balanced very well.

If the Steelers go to grey, the following should happen, return to the block numerals/letterings, black cleats, maybe a matte helmet to replace the current one

Do all that, then find a way to fit the entire sleeve stripes on the the sleeves and you've got yourself a #1 look in the league.

Instead of EA worrying about something incredibly stupid like the Vikings' left digits, they should have figured out a way to not have gigantic letters on the player names or tried to use a different font for the body and shoulders to make the jerseys look more accurate. Look at any screenshot of a Bears player, for example, and see how ridiculous they look with the tiny, thin numbers on the shoulders.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived