NFL Changes 2015

Gothamite

Actually, I'd like to see the Ravens have two purples stripes over the length of the helmet instead of the tapered stripes. They'd be traditional stripes with a bit more modern flair. It'd be like the Jets stripes but on a black helmet.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To each his own I guess. To me, they all look like football jerseys... a little more crowded than ideal, maybe, but it's a look that some teams will never abandon and others will keep returning to.

Certainly better than this...

Which look like teams trying way too hard to reinvent something that wasn't broken. And, unlike sleeve stripes, these are looks that will most likely seem as dated as parachute pants and a few years.

Dated? If that theory was actually true, then the Denver Broncos would have abandoned their uniforms a decade ago. That could be said for the Titans, too.

As for the Seahawks, their current uniforms are the best they have ever had.

The Broncos probably should have abandoned those uniforms a decade ago. They've been showing their age for a while. But, unlike the Browns current over-designed uniform, when debuted in 1997 (coming up on two decades!!) those uniforms were innovative and influential. Even people who didn't like them would have to admit that. By the early 2000's half the high schools and a quarter of the colleges were ripping them off. (Although doing so extremely poorly... the Broncos uniform has the one innovation... that side stripe. Other than that, it's somewhat reserved. The knockoffs added layers of other nonsense to the idea, and now it's done.) If Denver was smart, they would've moved off it when it was being copied to death by others.

The Titans' uniform sucks... there's not much else to say.

As for the Seahawks current outfit (far far from their best look), you're right, it probably isn't going anywhere any time soon, unfortunately. But that has nothing to with Cleveland.

Tell you what... IF the Browns do what Seattle did in their new uniform... make the playoffs this season, win the Superbowl next season, then YES... that ugly uniform will become beloved, and stay around for years. If not (and I'm pretty sure it'll be "not") then I'm sticking by what I said. Over the next two seasons, the minority of fans who actually care about uniforms will slowly but surely turn on them. The year after that a throwback will debut and when it does even the fans who don't particularly care about uniforms will wonder why they don't wear those older uniforms anymore. And, eventually they'll be gone.

I don't know, I'm really half and half on the current Dolphins set. I really love the new shade of aqua, and I don't mind the overall style of the uniform in and of itself. But the cruise liner logo and the wordmarks really ruin it for me. There's equal bad to the good, so it's a solid 5/10 pretty much to me.

That all said, Ive never been all that excited about the uniforms the Dolphins are throwing back to, either. I couldn't tell you why, they aren't bad uniforms per se. I've just never been that enamored by them. I was much more of a fan of the previous updated set (and definitely of the updated logo). To me, I feel like the perfect Dolphins uniform would be to basically take what they wore previously, make sleeve stripes to match the striping pattern on the helmet and pants to replace the Dolphin on the sleeves, and brighten the aqua to the current shade. In my eyes, do that and you've got a total winner. Sort of a combination of eras.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

I don't know, I'm really half and half on the current Dolphins set. I really love the new shade of aqua, and I don't mind the overall style of the uniform in and of itself. But the cruise liner logo and the wordmarks really ruin it for me. There's equal bad to the good, so it's a solid 5/10 pretty much to me.

That all said, Ive never been all that excited about the uniforms the Dolphins are throwing back to, either. I couldn't tell you why, they aren't bad uniforms per se. I've just never been that enamored by them. I was much more of a fan of the previous updated set (and definitely of the updated logo). To me, I feel like the perfect Dolphins uniform would be to basically take what they wore previously, make sleeve stripes to match the striping pattern on the helmet and pants to replace the Dolphin on the sleeves, and brighten the aqua to the current shade. In my eyes, do that and you've got a total winner. Sort of a combination of eras.

I don't disagree with what you're saying here.. As a lifelong dolphins fan, I felt that a sleeker, modernized leaping dolphin (although probably without the cartoony helmet) and reverting to the lighter aqua was the recipe for uniform perfection..

In the current set, however.. I thought the wordmarks were downgrades, and the coral (orange) is slightly too dull and underused, but I'm a huge fan of the update. We had already gone away from sleeve striping in favor of a cuff pattern, which I don't particularly care for, so the stripeless cuffless new look suits me just fine.. I actually LOVE the new blue (a darker aqua instead of the navy) and LOVE the new striping pattern if they just ever-so-slightly widened and brightened the orange. I don't like the new wordmarks, but if they were orange, it would fix other uniform issues (general lack of orange).. I wasn't 100% sold on the new logo when it was leaked, but by the unveiling, when it incorporated the two shades of aqua, I became a fan.. It's essentially just a modernization of the original.. I understand there's no helmet and the body position is different, but it's still an aqua dolphin on a coral sun.. I can see the "corporate"/"cruise line" connection, but it doesn't scream that at me.. Modern and slightly minimalistic is a new trend, and I think several other logos that don't get judged harshly would fit in the same category if they were in the cruise/resort capital of the world too.. Plus, I think that kinda fits Miami IMHO.. And I also like the white facemask.. I think my main reason for NOT wanting the aqua mask is likely because the old aqua mask matched the old aqua and I haven't seen a new one in the new aqua yet, but I think it fits the white-out look that Miami has pulled off for years, and with the newer over-emphasis of the aqua, I don't know that it would look quite right, esp with the newer striping pattern.. My biggest gripe is the lack of an orange alt, which was my favorite jersey of all time, and on the orange, I actually really liked the cuff pattern and navy drop shadows, etc., although I'd much prefer an orange alt version of the new jerseys to match the set..

I probably would've tweaked a couple things during the rebrand, but as a whole, it's an upgrade in my eyes

Have we seen the Dolphins new alts yet? I was at Sawgrass Mills in Sunrise tonight and an employee at Sportville put up a single aqua Tannehill youth jersey with the new nike template but old school Dolphins striping and numbers in the same rack as the regular ones. I knew she must had made a mistake so I asked her if it was the new alt but she seemed unaware and told me it was a vintage jersey and she put it back up after I showed her. I must say it looked pretty awesome.

As far as I know they haven't been unveiled yet. That's really interesting that some stores have them already. You should try to get a picture if you can.
20150626_170724.jpg

20150626_170712.jpg

This with the new shade of aqua (and not changing the logo) would have been perfect new uniforms for them.

Wait til you have a chance to see the throwback shade in person, it looks awesome and really close to the current jerseys. I'd say both the orange and aqua shades are perfect to get along each other.

To each his own I guess. To me, they all look like football jerseys... a little more crowded than ideal, maybe, but it's a look that some teams will never abandon and others will keep returning to.

Which look like teams trying way too hard to reinvent something that wasn't broken. And, unlike sleeve stripes, these are looks that will most likely seem as dated as parachute pants and a few years.

Dated? If that theory was actually true, then the Denver Broncos would have abandoned their uniforms a decade ago. That could be said for the Titans, too.

The Broncos probably should have abandoned those uniforms a decade ago. They've been showing their age for a while. But, unlike the Browns current over-designed uniform, when debuted in 1997 (coming up on two decades!!) those uniforms were innovative and influential. Even people who didn't like them would have to admit that. By the early 2000's half the high schools and a quarter of the colleges were ripping them off. (Although doing so extremely poorly... the Broncos uniform has the one innovation... that side stripe. Other than that, it's somewhat reserved. The knockoffs added layers of other nonsense to the idea, and now it's done.) If Denver was smart, they would've moved off it when it was being copied to death by others.

As for the Seahawks current outfit (far far from their best look), you're right, it probably isn't going anywhere any time soon, unfortunately. But that has nothing to with Cleveland.

Tell you what... IF the Browns do what Seattle did in their new uniform... make the playoffs this season, win the Superbowl next season, then YES... that ugly uniform will become beloved, and stay around for years. If not (and I'm pretty sure it'll be "not") then I'm sticking by what I said. Over the next two seasons, the minority of fans who actually care about uniforms will slowly but surely turn on them. The year after that a throwback will debut and when it does even the fans who don't particularly care about uniforms will wonder why they don't wear those older uniforms anymore. And, eventually they'll be gone.

Cleveland can't do a throwback for another 5 years because of their orange alt

Cleveland can't do a throwback for another 5 years because of their orange alt

the 5 year rule applies to primary road/home uniforms, i believe the alternates can change from year to year.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

As a 40-year+ Dolphins fan, I was thrilled to hear they planned on wearing the 66 throwback and I planned on buying a jersey.

But I had a hunch they were going to mess it up.

Now I know this is a kids jersey and the adults version may be different but to see the TV numbers on the shoulder is disappointing and is not a true re-creation of the 66 jersey.

Other than that it looks frigging amazing. Reminds me of the old Rawlings jersey from the Sears catalog I got for Christmas 1975.

I figured that's what the problem would be. Didn't Google it, just used my noggin to tell me what football Jerseys looked like in 66.

Spoiler alert: Sleeves don't exist in the league anymore.

I get it but I still had hopes the retail version would be true to the original. We'll see in a few weeks.

I also have been waiting with breathless anticipation for the throwback. I think if this pictured version is really "it", they probably did as good as they could do in matching the 1966 jersey, EXCEPT for the swoosh being where the numbers should be. This is actually the same template as the 2003 white one we wore against Dallas on Thanksgiving. I suspect that the sleeves get shortened up like most teams do today, so that the stripes move "up" and the logo is just above the seam. It won't be as drastic of a long sleeve on the field.

The aqua color is STILL slightly too much to the blue side of spectrum in my opinion but it looks saturated enough to be OK. We are NOT the Houston Oilers and this whole malarkey about the actual authentic aqua being "teal" and many younger fans wanting the washed-out zest soap turquoise we currently have, makes me apoplectic. I saw the 1970s and 1980s aqua "live" and it was a deep, rich, BLUE-GREEN. Given how hard it is to photograph, it appears that Nike got close... real close. Better than the current shade.

I REALLY was hoping for a stripeless aqua throwback like 1970-72, but make no mistake...

I will buy this jersey.

• 2 weeks later...

My team played against this team today (Sarnia Imperials). Wouldn't be a bad look for the Niners.

DSC_0531.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Archived