NFL Changes 2015

Gothamite

*I think said the "what alternate uniforms should be the primary" thread that the Panthers should make the blue jerseys the primary but after you brought up this point and I realized what happened to TEN, ATL and DEN I think I want them to stay as the alternate.

Until the Panthers stop wearing whites at home, I want them to lose the blue alternates entirely. They're nice looking jerseys, though not as good as the blacks. However, because of wearing white at home half the year, the Panthers only wear the colored jerseys 4-5 times a season. So it's bad when one of those dates is taken by the blue jersey. If they wore the black jersey for seven home games, I'd be perfectly fine with having the blue alt.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting! The Texans will be using FieldTurf for "at least the rest of 2015."

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/644916579524837377

Very interesting indeed. I don't see it ever going back to grass as there is no way to grow the grass in the stadium even with the roof open

They can grow it on a tray in the parking lot and just roll it in to install.

They did this for the last Super Bowl in Arizona so there would be new grass for kickoff.

HEY Y'ALL WATCH THIS:

http://www.businessinsider.com/super-bowl-grass-phoenix-stadium-2015-2

87Redskins.png

Interesting! The Texans will be using FieldTurf for "at least the rest of 2015."

I find it really funny that this is happening in Houston AGAIN. The Astrodome famously had grass in it originally, but the windows on the roof were too difficult for the baseball players to see pop flies so they painted over them and then the grass died so they had to invent astroturf.

I was really surprised while watching Hard Knocks and saw the Texans practicing in sneakers in the stadium on a concrete floor. I had no idea their grass surface wasn't a permanent installation. That explains all the knee injuries.

So it was basically a basketball court, but grass. That sounds like a terrible idea.

622x350.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

It's a damn shame that they designed a stadium with such a poor solution for the field. If it's got a retractable roof, it better damn well grow grass or you screwed up. So the Texans are in this place for at least another 15 years, and they've now got to play on fake grass.

It makes you appreciate how ingenious Arizona's stadium design is. That should be the gold standard for all domes, but then again, we shouldn't have domes.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

whenever a team switches to turf I die a little inside

Normally I would agree with you, but in this case, that grass field has been HORRENDOUS, even ending a few players' careers thanks to destroyed knee ligaments caused by seams in the turf trays. Something needed to be done there.

I just wish we could see players get muddy once in a while. I miss that

It's a damn shame that they designed a stadium with such a poor solution for the field. If it's got a retractable roof, it better damn well grow grass or you screwed up. So the Texans are in this place for at least another 15 years, and they've now got to play on fake grass.

It makes you appreciate how ingenious Arizona's stadium design is. That should be the gold standard for all domes, but then again, we shouldn't have domes.

The funny thing is that Arizona's stadium is the only one who that exists like that in North and South America. I think two are in Europe and the other one might be in Asia.

The grass tray system was the plan from day 1 so designing the stadium to allow adequate sunlight on the field for permanent growth was never in the design

I could see having some seams, but there's hundreds. If there was some more practical way where they at least reduced the seams, like 10 yard squares, that would be one thing. But just looking at that field you can see it was a bad idea.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Normally I would agree with you, but in this case, that grass field has been HORRENDOUS, even ending a few players' careers thanks to destroyed knee ligaments caused by seams in the turf trays. Something needed to be done there.

I prefer watching players run as fast as they can and actually make cuts.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I prefer watching players run as fast as they can and actually make cuts.
Its ok, im just a grumpy man that likes the WAY THINGS USED TO BE!! BOO HOO!!

I love grass also but being here in Houston and a Texans fan the last several years have brought out quite a few complaints about the playing surface and the roof constantly being closed even on days like Sunday where it fell in between the open zone and they had it closed. Extra money was spent on the retractable roof so the football games could be played "outdoors" and on grass. The only reason a roof was considered was to get money from the rodeo so the stadium could actually happen. It was originally an all open air stadium. The Texans have failed at both. If they do have grass again I see a renovation to where they can do something like Arizona. There is room outside one of the end zones just not sure the price tag would be too great. I hate going to games during a great day and walk into a dark dome. The astrodome was different but nrg should be open most of the time. The crowd noise is loud almost as loud as Kyle field with the dome open or closed. Rant over and overall I'm glad they did this because the field always looks horrible

I find it really funny that this is happening in Houston AGAIN. The Astrodome famously had grass in it originally, but the windows on the roof were too difficult for the baseball players to see pop flies so they painted over them and then the grass died so they had to invent astroturf.

I was really surprised while watching Hard Knocks and saw the Texans practicing in sneakers in the stadium on a concrete floor. I had no idea their grass surface wasn't a permanent installation. That explains all the knee injuries.

So it was basically a basketball court, but grass. That sounds like a terrible idea.

622x350.jpg

I never knew this was being done. Who thought this was a good idea? The old Vet (bring it back!) was notorious for players getting caught in its seams - and this design creates like 100x more seams.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The funny thing is that Arizona's stadium is the only one who that exists like that in North and South America. I think two are in Europe and the other one might be in Asia.

What you're forgetting is that NRG Stadium was the first retractable roofed NFL stadium. Before that, a retracble roof over a 70,000 stadium didn't exist.

Veltins Arena (Germany) & Sapporro Dome (Japan) were built after NRG Stadium and they were the first stadiums with retractable fields. Arizona, which came after all of the above, basically took Sapporro's design but should've also used also copied Schalke's stand design for the tray end, instead of having an empty end with temporary bleachers.

Basically, NRG Stadium was just a tad bit early to the retractable party.

As for the turf, I find it laughable the Texans are NOW doing something after the Chiefs complained. Did they not hear Belichick's comments after Welker tore his ACL on that turf a few seasons back? What that former punter who's suing them over his blown out knee?!? Heck their No. 1 pick (Clowney) also blew up his knee because of that turf. But NOW theyre doing something after the Chiefs complain LOL

NYCdog.png

Archived