NBA Changes 2015-16 Season

Josh.0

I agree, that would be cool. But that's not going to happen. As it was pointed out, they are not going to risk injuries (even if playing better defence would increase such risk only by few percent). These players are either all in all or in a chillout mode. It's tough to find the middle ground. Plus on the top of it, they are not going to sweat too much, knowing that their teammates are having a week off on some Carribean island. They come to ASG to have some fun and to sell their merchandise.

Everybody is free to skip game. There are 1230 games in regular season + the playoffs. Plenty to choose from.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never in the history of NBA All Star games have teams played any sort of respectable defense. The games are a showcase of offense, plain and simple. The last Game that both teams were held under 100 points was in 1954. The last time one of the teams were under 100 was in 1973 when the West only scored 84 points.

And, with the exception of the MLB game, I can't think of any other all star game were defense is played at any respectable level.

It's not so much that... but what is the point of the game if the first 3 quarters is just run up and down the court and not even attempt to play defense? There are literally people taking shots from behind the arc with guys 4-6 feet away and their hands down at their sides.

I get if you want to play the first quarter... or even the first and half the second as a street game... but 80% of the game is nonsense. Why even have a 3 point and dunk contest on Saturday when the game on Sunday is basically wide open shots and ally oops?

The league, media, and players all boast about how awesome it is to have all these great players out there and what a sight it is to see these guys play together and make phenomenal plays, but really, the plays are THAT phenomenal when no one is even trying to play defense. You have big men dribbling the ball right around guys like they were Chris Paul or Kyrie Irving. Hell, you could put college kids out there against that "defense" and they would look like an Olympic team too. To me, it diminishes the game. I want to see those great players make those great plays when they are actually competing... not just taking turns on who is going to dunk next.

What's more fun to watch? An alley oop, or a shot clock violation?

@CLEstones: injuries are hard to watch, hence the lack of defense. I cannot imagine either coach telling any one of their players to foul someone (or foul someone hard) just to win this meaningless exhibition game. It's a goodwill game, and there's no upside to winning it (e.g., home court in the Finals like in the MLB) so why not put on a show? Just my opinion, and I'm sorry if you disagree and sorry you didn't enjoy the game.

For me, I don't see the entertainment value in Chris Paul and John Wall putting on dribbling exhibitions when NO ONE is trying to actually stop them. What makes a cross over so awesome, or a spin move so great is when someone's ankles actually get broken when they are trying to defend them.

I think you just proved my point. Yes, people don't literally break their ankles when defending a crossover, but people with bad ankles will reaggrevate their injuries. Hence, "Injuries are hard to watch." Double hence , Popovich would start Tim Duncan and bench him after two minutes.

After the 4th ally-oop in the first 10 minutes? A 24-second shot clock violation... and I'm being completely honest.

Clearly you don't watch enough Los Angeles Clippers games. People go to see Lob City. Personally, I prefer a title, but if they're not gonna win it all, why not put up a good show? And yes, opposing players hate it, and will challenge the lobs and injure the high flyers.

I would want to see what a REAL game looks like between these guys. LeBron vs KD, Paul vs Kyrie, Wall vs Lillard... I want to see who has actual handles, who can actually hit a pull up jumper with a hand in their face, who can slice the defense and get to the hoop.

Fortunately for you, the NBA plays a round-robin schedule, so you can see each of those individual matchups every year.

I would want to see what a REAL game looks like between these guys. LeBron vs KD, Paul vs Kyrie, Wall vs Lillard... I want to see who has actual handles, who can actually hit a pull up jumper with a hand in their face, who can slice the defense and get to the hoop.

Fortunately for you, the NBA plays a round-robin schedule, so you can see each of those individual matchups every year.

But its not LeBron, Kyrie, Wall, Gasol, Carmello vs KD, Paul, Lillard, Aldridge, Dirk... Its Dirk and Carmello, or Kyrie and Paul.

I agree, people go to see Lob City... but again, the boyhood fantasy of seeing all these guys play together is seeing how good they COULD be. Oh, LeBron scores 27 a game with 2 or 3 good players and a bunch of mid to low level guys? Lets see what he can do when you put him with a top 5 PG, a top 5 SG a top 5 PF and a top 5 C. That's the wonder and awe that you have as a child. When you are in elementary school and you see all the ally-oops and half court shots and joking around... its great, its fun, its a fantasy come true... but its all out of naivety. When you get to be an adult, it just isn't entertaining. I sit there and literally think... I could get 10-15 points with that defense. So, why should I even watch? The better shooting and the better dunks are on Saturday night.

_____

Anyway... I'm doing what I always b!tch about on here and that's getting off topic.

I'm glad to see the ASG uniforms were much better on TV than they were in detail. I LOVED the big numbers on the front, but I would have liked to see EAST or WEST going down the sides of the jersey or shorts since it wasn't anywhere else on the uniform. The gray pattern stars were terrible choice. They should have made those the team colors. And the shameless Adidas 3 stripes around the bottom of the shorts was wayyy more distracting than I originally thought.

Yea, All-Star crap doesn't belong in this topic. Neither does the stuff about Franklin the new Sixers mascot

An update on the Sixers: they posted this video today that seems to imply retro (or a combination of)

Ok so these are the 3 jerseys from the video:

wilt_88163971.jpg?w=1500Sixers%2071-72%20Home%20Billy%20Cunningh2073772_display_image.jpg

And these are their home/road counter parts

Wilt-Chamberlain.jpgtumblr_kuek4w75T71qzveiso1_500.jpg80shome.jpg

Can someone with more Photoshop skills than me do a mock up of some combo of the 3? Taking from the video I'm guessing it's going to be: Home whites that say Sixers, Blue roads that say PHILA and Red alts that says Sixers.

One thing that all 3 have in common are the rwb stripes around the collar/shoulders

Pretty sure the first thing we can eliminate is the waistbands

I thought they'd continue with blue as the primary road, but "PHILA" would make more sense on that jersey instead of a red one. I also think one side (not both) will have the stars and 76 logo, and "SIXERS" will continue to appear on the primary jerseys but restore missing outlines

As long as the Iverson Era black and gold is out (which it is) and also as long as the Barkley shooting stars don't make a comeback (which I think is pretty safe to say too), I am good with the change. I hope they don't do a sleeved alt, either. That would be hot garbage.

Archived