NBA Changes 2015-16 Season

Josh.0

The whole "PHX" thing just can't die, can it? I always hoped it'd just be a passing fad, but here it still is. The black uniform would be worlds better if it said "PHOENIX".

That said, despite "PHX" even rearing its ugly head there, the court is much improved. The shooting sun is a definite win, the full team name on the ends is a big improvement, and the purple lines/three point arc are a very nice touch.

Suns righting a wrong..slowly but surely! (Adding purple back into everything). I agree with you Fins, I wish they would just use "Phoenix" 10 outta 10 times instead of "PHX".
shado_logo.gif

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't mind using "PHX" on the jersey, but I do mind making only the wordmark blackout while the rest of the jersey has the usual purple and orange trim and white lettering. The front looks so incredibly unbalanced, like someone screwed up and stitched mixed up the wordmark and number from two different jerseys.

On the other hand, cutting off the sleeves on the orange alt is great and seems like a pretty transparent "boy, that sleeve trend sure was dumb" statement.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

"PHX" itself doesn't bother me, but the size of it does. It's way too big.

I think we're fast approaching college football levels of insanity with these alternates. The Heat were good and popular enough to warrant a crap ton of alternates, but Phoenix having 6 jerseys in a set? Why?

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

Poor execution on that PHX alt.

Like others have said, having the wordmark black and white (while the rest of the uniform has colored accents) just looks poor.

Was a slightly thicker *orange* outline that hard to do?

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

A writer at Grantland ranked the current NBA logos and determined that the Bulls have the best logo. The Raptors, somehow, is ranked number 8. The OKC Thunder is 30 and the Clippers at 29.

-Nets and Rockets not in bottom ten

-Raptors in top ten

-Wolves in bottom five (it's not great but it's not THAT bad)

Into the trash it goes.

From the Suns' twitter....

CObTegxUsAAq86x.jpg

I haven't been keeping up with the NBA in recent years, but six uniforms seems excessive...it may be common for all I know.

That black alt. is pretty boring. It doesn't fit the rest of the set at all and it'll be hard to read the wordmark from a distance.

8bVWNl7.png.df4b40fc8bee1fb7b4442d7fc55c

Not sure where the best place to put this is, but this seems about right for now.

There's talk about the Thunder getting a new logo in 2017 with the switch to Nike.

http://www.si.com/nba/2015/09/08/oklahoma-city-thunder-logo-change-nike?xid=nl_siextra

This really needs to happen. I'm hoping Nike puts together a convincing new identity to propose for OKC. A subtle tweak won't cut it.

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

Not sure where the best place to put this is, but this seems about right for now.

There's talk about the Thunder getting a new logo in 2017 with the switch to Nike.

http://www.si.com/nba/2015/09/08/oklahoma-city-thunder-logo-change-nike?xid=nl_siextra

This really needs to happen. I'm hoping Nike puts together a convincing new identity to propose for OKC. A subtle tweak won't cut it.

Not sure they'll be a high priority for Nike once KD and Russ skip town, though.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Not sure they'll be a high priority for Nike once KD and Russ skip town, though.

Not only that but I don't think the Thunder management considers it that important to change the logo.

Maybe if they let those fashion forward fellows have a say in the process... ;)

kevin-durant-russell-westbrook-layne-mur

(I'm a Thunder fan desperate to keep KD and Russ in town :ninja:)

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

Not only that but I don't think the Thunder management considers it that important to change the logo.

Yeah they mentioned that in the Grantland article. It's unfortunate the ownership seems stubborn and willfully ignorant about how awful their identity is. I'm just hoping Nike proposes something that will change their minds.

From the article:

Nike will push for an overhaul once it replaces Adidas as the league’s apparel partner in 2017. Nike and the Thunder are already talking, and the Thunder “haven’t ruled out” a more explicit weather-related secondary mark, Byrnes says.

Bad news: Oklahoma City seems locked into the shield motif and likely won’t replace it with a bison — or anything else. “To some extent, we are committed to the idea we have,” Byrnes says. “But we would not dismiss good feedback, particularly from Nike. We’re open to modernizing the logo, but we don’t have an appetite to overhaul it.”

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-definitive-nba-logo-rankings/

I thought the story with the OKC logo was that it was purposefully generic because it was in the works before the nickname was chosen. It was interesting to read the (half-baked) explanation of how its elements tie into the Thunder name.

Everyone knows their reason or explanation is just as much as a crock of dung as the Clippers new logo explanation how the "wooshes" relate to nautical theme. Bunch of bs.
shado_logo.gif

Archived