NBA Changes 2015-16 Season

Josh.0

So we're officially pretending that the new Hornets were founded in 1988 and the Clippers were founded in 1984? Got it! :censored: historical accuracy!

Yep. Who cares about the record books? Just Send The History Back!

Well, the Los Angeles Clippers were founded in 1984. The Buffalo Braves are in the dustbin of history at this point; putting "Est. 1970" would just be confusing or misleading. It not as if the franchise has done a lot to respect its continuity. Just be glad people aren't trying to say that the Clippers are actually the Boston Celtics.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So we're officially pretending that the new Hornets were founded in 1988 and the Clippers were founded in 1984? Got it! :censored: historical accuracy!

Well, the Los Angeles Clippers were founded in 1984. The Buffalo Braves are in the dustbin of history at this point; putting "Est. 1970" would just be confusing or misleading. It not as if the franchise has done a lot to respect its continuity. Just be glad people aren't trying to say that the Clippers are actually the Boston Celtics.

I'm not sure founded is the correct word. The franchise was founded in 1970 and has had continuous operations. A relocation is not a new founding.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I'm not sure founded is the correct word. The franchise was founded in 1970 and has had continuous operations. A relocation is not a new founding.

The franchise was founded in 1970, but, yeah, I'm with the admiral on this one ... the LOS ANGELES Clippers were found in 1984. Just like the SAN DIEGO Clippers were found in 1978 and the Buffalo Braves in 1970.

You'll likely get "1976" on that jacket. Merch for the Whalers, Nordiques, Oilers, and original Jets features "Est. 1979" more often than not, and Packers merch usually features "Est. 1921" despite their existence since 1919. I imagine something similar occurs with the Arizona Cardinals.

Time and history are very malleable concepts in pro sports. Just look at the number of patches that confuse an anniversary with the number of seasons played, including the current one. Or have a look at the Winnipeg Jets, Est. 2011, the Washington Nationals, Since 1905, or the Cleveland Browns, Oh Who The Hell Knows.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Those look great. Not sure I love the color choice for the Heat, but it's better than black and white.

Curious to see if the Cavs warmups are gold or wine in color.

My favs so far are the Grizzlies, Suns, and Hornets.

Wolves should definitely have some blue.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

The franchise was founded in 1970, but, yeah, I'm with the admiral on this one ... the LOS ANGELES Clippers were found in 1984. Just like the SAN DIEGO Clippers were found in 1978 and the Buffalo Braves in 1970.
Again, found isn't the right business term. You usually can rename it, you can relocate it, but you can't refound a business if there are continuous operations, especially if you keep the history of the business.

The Patriots didn't change the founding date when they moved from Boston to Foxboro, and the Colts don't claim a founding date of 1984. The Raiders were founded in 1960. The Dodgers franchise was founded well before they moved to Los Angeles. The Yankees were either founded in 1903 as the New York Highlanders or maybe 1901 in Baltimore, depending if the old Orioles completely halted operations.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I am pleasantly surprised to see that the Nets' jacket says 1967, as does the Denver Nuggets' jacket. This correctly notes the start of the franchises, despite the fact that both of these teams had different names at their inceptions,

But the "1973" on the Spurs' jacket makes no sense. The Spurs, like the Nets and the Nuggets, were founded under a different name in 1967. While I lament this major inconsistency, I am pleased that they got the Nets right, and (assuming that the Pacers' jacket will say 1967), they got three of the four ABA teams right.

Also, even with the error on the Spurs' jacket, the erroneous date still refers to the ABA. It is nice to see the ABA get that acknowledgement. Along those lines, the Nets and Pacers should have patches for their ABA championships.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Hmm I don't get this jacket. I got the same feeling like Cesarano. Spurs got NBA Champions, but no Conference winners, Grizzlies got est 2001 (actually is 1995) and Nets got est 1967 (If we look on Grizzlies example should be 2012). They need to decide if they accept relocations or not (except Thunder they should had 2008, because they don't wanna be related with Sonics). For me that badges on sleeves is a bad idea.

4r2eer.png

I wanted to pick on the Spurs as well. The missing Conference champions would have made sense if there were unbeaten in the Finals (although the Bull have both) but they won more Western Conference Championships than NBA Championships.

When it comes to the dates, it's all about the PR. Nuggets and Nets are still/again in the cities where they started. I asssume these jackets are supposed to appeal to the current fanbases so the teams chose the relocation rather than the inception. When you take it into consideration, the patches are consistent.

I wanted to pick on the Spurs as well. The missing Conference champions would have made sense if there were unbeaten in the Finals (although the Bull have both) but they won more Western Conference Championships than NBA Championships.

Yep, especially when -for example- Celtics also won more Easter Conf. Champs than NBA Champs and they have Conference Champs badge. So for me this badges still make no sense. No badges = no problems.

4r2eer.png

Being a native of the area and working in the city, I think they made the completely CORRECT choice going away from the Mardi Gras color palette. Those colors really are a sign of a small part of the year. Sure Mardi Gras is a big part of New Orleans, but it doesn't define the city either. I think maybe they could have gone with a slightly lighter shade of blue and a yellow instead of gold, but the overwhelming response is positive down here. Plus, it gives the opportunity for the awesome alternate unis. I don't think merchandise sales would have been nearly as good had they gone Mardi Gras. Those colors just aren't terribly conducive to everyday where outside of that month and a half at the beginning of each year.

As for these unis, I'd prefer sleeveless but they aren't bad.

As a fellow Louisianian, I couldn't have said it any better.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

When it comes to the dates, it's all about the PR. Nuggets and Nets are still/again in the cities where they started. I asssume these jackets are supposed to appeal to the current fanbases so the teams chose the relocation rather than the inception. When you take it into consideration, the patches are consistent.

I want to note that the Nets began as the New Jersey Americans in the 1967-68 season and became the New York Nets a year later. So the team currently has neither the locality name nor the nickname with which it began.

This is why the fact that their jacket correctly notes their founding year is pleasantly surprising in a period in which intellectual honesty and historical accuracy have become unfashionable,

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Archived