NBA Changes 2015-16 Season

Josh.0

This probably doesn't mean a thing since it's just a mascot, but i've never seen Clutch the Bear wearing anything other than the primary away uniform. Last night against the Brooklyn Nets, he was wearing a throwback that looked slightly different from the real throwback. It had the same wordmark with the lower case t and all but overall looked different to me(perhaps more edged?). It also had a 2 tone waistband instead of the solid color waistband the original throwbacks had. Anyway, it's probably nothing, but i'm just hoping it might be a sign of things to come with the rumors of new uniforms soon. I'm of course just happy to see that brand identity more and more at Rockets games and merchandise.

This is the best i could do with screens:

clutchbear_zps26lktzbm.png

You are correct, there are subtle font differences between the two (see below). It could just be a "whacky mascot coincidental custom jersey" or it could be the Rockets way of sending a message to the fans that jersey relief is in the works. I really hope its the latter, the Rockets current jersey set combined with Houston's bland court makes watching their game almost unbearable (no matter how promising their team looks).

PS- Not coming from a biased Magic fan ('95 Finals sweep & Dwight Howard had no influence over my last sentence) :D

hakeem-olajuwon.jpg

alkaline-trio_logo-with-heart.jpg

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This probably doesn't mean a thing since it's just a mascot, but i've never seen Clutch the Bear wearing anything other than the primary away uniform. Last night against the Brooklyn Nets, he was wearing a throwback that looked slightly different from the real throwback. It had the same wordmark with the lower case t and all but overall looked different to me(perhaps more edged?). It also had a 2 tone waistband instead of the solid color waistband the original throwbacks had. Anyway, it's probably nothing, but i'm just hoping it might be a sign of things to come with the rumors of new uniforms soon. I'm of course just happy to see that brand identity more and more at Rockets games and merchandise.

I'd guess it's for their upcoming yellow Pride alternate jersey. Like Phoenix and Brooklyn, it's likely going the retro route (with sleeves lol)

NYCdog.png

All the Rockets need to do is make a white version of their current red and yellow alternate.

xige3e7btg3ei4993zkjs0vkl.gif

Nooooooo, there's too much yellow. They need to fix the wordmark (at the very least, lose the drop shadow), switch to white numbers. And either add more white or less yellow.

I would really like if they just updated the throwbacks with a new wordmark and number don't and I wouldn't mind keeping the current logo.

That clutch jersey is very interesting.

Have we already discussed that Cavs will more than likely get new uniforms next year?

People speculated after James signed with them, but there have been no reports they they're planning a new set. I think they'll probably keep this set for one more year, then when the Cavs are reaching their "championship window" and they've sold a billion new James jerseys in each of four difference colors, they'll make the change and let people buy them all again.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

You are correct, there are subtle font differences between the two (see below). It could just be a "whacky mascot coincidental custom jersey" or it could be the Rockets way of sending a message to the fans that jersey relief is in the works. I really hope its the latter, the Rockets current jersey set combined with Houston's bland court makes watching their game almost unbearable (no matter how promising their team looks).

PS- Not coming from a biased Magic fan ('95 Finals sweep & Dwight Howard had no influence over my last sentence) :D

hakeem-olajuwon.jpg

So i guess it looks more rounded on the clutch jersey.

Don't worry man, i hate the Rockets brand as well. Friends ask why i get so upset and talk about the uniforms and logos all the time and it's because i am so passionate about the Rockets i know. The Rockets i grew up with won back to back championships in those uniforms so it's hard to feel the same when i see guys running around in some foreign uniform and calling themselves Rockets. I feel like i would love this current Rockets team WAY MORE if they reminded me of the real Houston Rockets. One thing though, is that the Rockets have NEVER had a nice home floor. They all have been so bland and boring. I honestly think it'd be fine with a strong colored red on the sidelines and having just 1 wood floor color. After years, i think i am decided on being content if the logos remained the same, just as long as the uniforms remind me of the 80's and 90s unis(which the alternates do not).

BTW I LOVED the Orlando Magic back then and still like them. They were so exciting and fun to watch. Who didn't love Shaq and Penny? No offense, but i am glad the Rockets won so i never grew any bitter hatred towards the Magic. Those uniforms and that logo are still some of my all time favorites. I can not stand the side panel on the current Magic uniforms. What is wrong with just going straight up and down? I wish they added the star on the shorts as well. These Adidas sleeved uniforms are ruining the aesthetics of the NBA. Those Magic grey sleeved unis were atrocious. Can't wait to see how bad the all yellow sleeved unis the Rockets will get next season.

All the Rockets need to do is make a white version of their current red and yellow alternate.

xige3e7btg3ei4993zkjs0vkl.gif

Nooooooo, there's too much yellow. They need to fix the wordmark (at the very least, lose the drop shadow), switch to white numbers. And either add more white or less yellow.

I would really like if they just updated the throwbacks with a new wordmark and number don't and I wouldn't mind keeping the current logo.

That clutch jersey is very interesting.

I hate the Rockets alternate too. Like i've mentioned before, the side panel flaring outward looks ridiculous and unnecessary. Just slapping a ton of yellow on a red uniform doesn't remind me at all of the championship era Rockets. They took something Rockets fans have been begging to have for 2 decades now and they went overkill with it. The best i can hope for is a uniform set like the Utah Jazz in red and yellow/gold with the yellow/gold being used as a highlight color just like the Jazz currently use. Instead we'll get a urine yellow "city pride" sleeved uniform as if that is supposed to satisfy the fans.

Have we already discussed that Cavs will more than likely get new uniforms next year?

I heard something along these lines a couple months back, but it was from such a sketchy source (friend of a friend who works for adidas, etc.) that I shrugged it off. Even if something really is in the works, I assume they would just get another alt or one-off for next year. Gotta keep that replica jersey cash cow going.

As a fan of the team, I am hoping for an all new set, though. This current set is so bland and most closely associated with the four terrible non-LeBron seasons. Plus, that giant "CAVS" wordmark on both alternates is an eyesore. Your team name is the Cavaliers. It fits on a jersey. Use it.

Haters gonna hate. The Hawks look great tonight, only confirms my theory that the new uniforms are going to be inspired by these. I'm pretty sure BraveBird is at Phillips tonight. Can't wait to hear what he has to say about them in person

Margaret.png
9JR5Pzv.png

Maximus you weren't born in '89 right. I mean no way you could've recalled the 1995 season.

But I literally stopped following the Rockets when they switched to the clown uniforms that year.

I don't think any team is allowed to revert to a carbon copy of an earlier design but if an exemption can be made Houston should do it.

Best throwback so far this year.

MMr1azT.jpg

That guy's over abundance of tattoos kinda ruin the throwback look though. :/
That GUY is All Star Jeff Teague. And if you think he has a lot of tattoos, then you should see Pero Antic in this uniform.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

Archived