Josh.0

NBA Changes 2015-16 Season

Has anyone else been seeing this script the Pistons have been using this year? The O in Detroit makes me feel like they're finally gearing up for a rebrand, putting the current wordmark on the Bad Boys era logo.

114c9640-25a9-4347-aaee-6d243ce73436.jpg

Their recent hirings have undercut and undermined the visionary GM, whose programme is designed to play out over several years and was never intended to return benefits in the short term.

pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft

You think this is a failure of ownership? that they've been sitting here getting fat on central revenue with a bare-bones operation and just decided to stop that train? I think it's pretty clear that the NBA stepped in to stop a cornerstone franchise from clowning the NBA economic system any further. The Knicks and Lakers may suck, but they mean well.

The Sixers weren't clowning anything. Hinkie has an approach that can work only in the long term; the intervening bad seasons are part of the process.

Hinkie's plan sure is unorthodox. But, by hiring him and empowering him to implement that plan, the team's ownership is obligated to let him see it through. Hamstringing him mid-way is a betrayal.

Like admiral said, this was Adam Silver calling up the owner and being all like "bro - you gotta stop this crap. Now" and Joshua Harris was all like "what you want me to do now though" and Silver be all like "just chill those *s out and wait for the wolf (colangelo) who will be coming directly" and Harris be all "Colangelo? Poop, negro - that's all you had to say!"

You're right though - they should have waited until the offseason. The worst thing would be to start 1-30 and then get just better enough to cost themselves the top pick. The thing with this "process" though is that there's no end in sight. Hinki wanted a 5-7 year extension because he said at one point that's how long it could take. That makes no sense, because the guys they're picking up early on in "the process" won't be around by then.

I'd give it one more season, see if they can get the guy from LSU and have him with Noel, Embiid if he can ever walk again, and Okafor if he doesn't end up with bullets in his brainless dome.

Whether they get the kid or not, they simply have to switch gears after this year or the team might as well move (which honestly I think could be part of the plan anyway). These owners aren't committed to the city or team at all and also own the now-vacant prudential center. True they are building team offices in Camden NJ which would counter the speculation that they want to move to north jersey, but I wouldn't rule anything out.

Comparing Colangelo stepping in to clean up the Sixers mess to the Marvin death scene is so oddly perfect. I can just picture the Owners of the Sixers standing there covered in blood and brain matter while Colangelo sprays them down with a hose. I wonder if Adam Silver is going to get a new oak bedroom set out of all of this.

I think Brett Brown would get the bedroom set. I hear he's an oak man too.

The Sixers weren't clowning anything. Hinkie has an approach that can work only in the long term; the intervening bad seasons are part of the process.

Second sentence disproves the first: "no, I meant for this top draft pick not to work out, the real top draft pick will be here next year!" over and over and over

Hinkie's plan sure is unorthodox. But, by hiring him and empowering him to implement that plan, the team's ownership is obligated to let him see it through. Hamstringing him mid-way is a betrayal.

They hold no obligation to Hinkie. He works for them. If a bunch of team owners call up Adam Silver and say "hey, these guys are intentionally cratering their team so they can trade draft picks for more draft picks or something, something smells funny," you should probably cut the crap.

I don't even see what's so unorthodox about it, beyond the fact that there's no end in sight, which is less an innovation than it is a failure. Teams have been bottoming out for years, but there's generally some sort of roadmap once you get your high pick. The Sixers seemed like they were going to keep resetting the cycle until they were happy with a LeBron-esque player, and good luck with that. There's also the fact that the Sixers circumvented the salary floor in the process, which means the NBA's increasingly contentious players' union now has a beef. They outsmarted themselves.

Thought the Christmas unis looked nice, but the relative absence of team specific design was a flaw. Maybe if the numbers were the usual team style.

Turned out I liked them more as a concept than I did in practice. Everyone wearing palette swaps of one another all day wasn't that cool after all.

Turned out I liked them more as a concept than I did in practice. Everyone wearing palette swaps of one another all day wasn't that cool after all.

And that, right there, is the biggest problem with league (and/or apparel manufacturer)-mandated uniforms. While these are the best #NBAXmas uniforms we've seen, their biggest flaw was the lack of team-to-team originality.

Edited by DustDevil61

I thought they seemed pretty underwhelming even as concepts. Same wordmark font for every single team, slapped on to the basically the same jersey template each team normally wears? That's not really a great idea. That seems more lazy than anything. I didn't have to see them on the court to realize that.

The only positive I think that came out of all that was it was nice to see the Clippers look good for almost the first time all season. That "Christmassy" wordmark looks more "Clipperish" than anything in their current identity, although that is not saying much.

I guess what the league did is better than nothing, though, and it always could have been much worse. And they did get me to tune in basically for the main purpose of seeing what they looked like in action, so I guess they won. All in all I am not complaining too much about this year's Christmas unis.

I love when throwbacks are paired with classic or retro-inspired uniforms

bucks_mavs.jpgmavs_bucks.jpg
mavs_jazz.jpg

P. S. Brian Winter could be Nikola Mirotic's father

Bonus:

United Colours of Lebron

jamesantek.jpgjames_black.jpgjames_maroon.jpgjames_navy.jpgjames_retro_maroon.jpgJames_retro_yellow.jpgjames_white.jpgjames_yellow.jpglebron_xmas.jpg

That's a lot of jerseys, but at least they look cohesive, for the most part. They all basically look like they belong to one identity, at least in terms of color scheme.

That's better than a lot of other teams, where they might have only 3 or 4 jerseys but there is at least one that doesn't fit in with the others at all.

"Try to get Lebron in as many uniforms as possible" seems to be the strategy for the Cavs.

Bonus:

United Colours of Lebron

jamesantek.jpgjames_black.jpgjames_maroon.jpgjames_navy.jpgjames_retro_maroon.jpgJames_retro_yellow.jpgjames_white.jpgjames_yellow.jpglebron_xmas.jpg

Yeah, this is a problem. Well...more like a mess. I'll give Cleveland some points for at least looking somewhat cohesive, but no team in any sport, at any level, should have this many uniforms. I really wish they'd keep it to the white homes, regular maroon roads, and possibly the gold alts if they could restrain from wearing them at home. Everything else has no business being worn. (Christmas sets get a free pass because it was a one-time league thing)

"Try to get Lebron in as many uniforms as possible" seems to be the strategy for the Cavs.

Worked for the Heat.

Bonus:

United Colours of Lebron

1 & 6 are the same.

Hornets in black buzz city alts vs laker road purple.

CXW935zWkAARlts.jpg

These black alts are ugly as :censored:...

Wow, props to Lebron for committing to the Throwback look. He's wearing the headband again and the exact same old shoes he wore the last time the Cavs wore the throwback.

ioDI7My.jpg

Worked for the Heat.

Bonus:

United Colours of Lebron

1 & 6 are the same.

You're right. Thanks for noticing. I've corrected the original post.

Worked for the Heat.

Bonus:

United Colours of Lebron

1 & 6 are the same.

Funny stuff, Had it not been for Ray Allen, Lebron would have been 1 for 6