NBA Changes 2015-16 Season

Josh.0

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

If the Pistons had worn "Motor City" on their uniforms for years and years, I would actually find that pretty cool. Can't you just picture it in loopy hand-drawn cursive? "Buzz City" means nothing outside of marketing the ersatz Charlotte Hornets.

That's my issue with "Buzz City" as well.  It's one thing to use an existing nickname that's organically associated with a city; it's another to attempt to coin a new nickname for a city -- that happens to fit your team's brand.  The conceit behind professional sports is that the team is supposed to represent the host city; using a market-tested faux nickname for the city feels like the tail is wagging the dog.

I shudder to imagine the next step:  teams co-opting the latest slang on their unis -- without bothering to tie it to a city nickname *or* the team name.  Why can't Cleveland be "Fleekville"?  Memphis wants to be "#SquadGoalsAF City"?  Sure; that's what the kids are saying, right?  :huh:

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, dont care said:

Exactly, they should use Queen City rather than buzz city which was completely manufactured by the team to sell the city.

I thought that "the Queen City" was the nickname of Cincinnati.

Anyway, there are very few of these nicknames than can actually substitute for a city's name and be recognisable.  "Motor City" is one; others are "the Big Apple", "the Windy City", and "the City of Brotherly Love".  One could get away with suggesting "the City of Angels", "the City by the Bay", and "the Gateway to the West".  And that's about it.

At any rate, even those legitimate city nicknames shouldn't be on the teams' uniforms. As FinsUp1214 said, it's fine to make all kinds of fan merchandise with those nicknames.  But the uniforms deserve a bit more dignity, with the city name or the team's nickname.  That is not too much to ask.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

11 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

There are very few of these nicknames than can actually substitute for a city's name and be recognisable.  "Motor City" is one; others are "the Big Apple", "the Windy City", and "the City of Brotherly Love".  One could get away with suggesting "the City of Angels", "the City by the Bay", and "the Gateway to the West".  And that's about Gateway

Mile High City.  South Beach.

I could totally see the Mavs rocking jerseys that read "Big D"... 

6uXNWAo.png

37 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I thought that "the Queen City" was the nickname of Cincinnati.

"Nicknamed the Queen City,[9] like its county a few years earlier, Charlotte was named in honor of Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, who had become the Queen of Great Britain just seven years before the town's incorporation. A second nickname derives from the American Revolu"-wiki

1 minute ago, eRay said:

Does Bean Town mean anything to anyone? Honestly asking people from all over the globe.

Out-of-towners call Boston "Beantown" a lot more locals than do, which is to say more than never.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

7 minutes ago, eRay said:

Does Bean Town mean anything to anyone? Honestly asking people from all over the globe.

Bean town and Boston are used pretty interchangeably all across the country. Another nickname for Boston is "the hub (of the universe)" which explains the Bruins logo

15 hours ago, JESSEDIEBOLT said:

We like them alot here in CLT. The players do as well, that's why they wore them in the Playoffs.

I'd like it more if it didn't have the sleeves, but still, they have a very nice purple set and teal set that are much better.

2 hours ago, Digby said:

Out-of-towners call Boston "Beantown" a lot more locals than do, which is to say more than never.

Yeah, which is why I was asking. Didn't know how far out of town it spread.

6 hours ago, BlackBolt3 said:

For something Adidas put on the team since they changed their name, the black hasn't been terrible. This is kind of short minded, but to the "average" fan, it connects the Hornets and the Panthers, which isn't the worst idea in the world. And besides the playoffs, I can only recall 3 other instances of them wearing the black alternates, compared to about 15 times in the teal. And "Buzz City" is waaaaayyyyy better on the chest than a large logo.

But it's gone after next season, so why worry?

That's the one good thing.  If Nike was going to have their own version of sleeves, we would have already seen it in college basketball.  Luckily we only have to stomach this crap in the NBA  for one more season.

Do you think some teams may like having a sleeved jersey and make Nike give them one? Or do you think putting sleeves on jerseys was all adidas' doing and was forced on the teams wheather they liked it or not, or atleast convinced them saying they would sell more which equals more $$$ and we know how owners are. Has anyone ever seen anyone in a sleeved jersey? I know I haven't not that I've seen many NBA jerseys but when I do they are all sleeveless 

Buzz City does tie into Charlotte's history as being a hornet's nest of rebellion during the revolutionary war. The 'Queen City' moniker is often confused with Cincinnati, despite Charlotte being founded first, and having 'CLT' or 'The QC' on a jersey is less appealing. It was a marketing plan to bring back the Hornets to Charlotte, but it's not just pulled out of thin air either. If they lost the sleeves on the jersey it would look better and hopefully it happens when Nike takes over. Not a fan of BFBS, but in this case, as another user pointed out, it does tie into the other major teams here in Charlotte (The Panthers, The Checkers, and most recently The Knights).   

4 hours ago, JPDesign said:

Thunder going back to regular road uniforms tonight. First time in the playoffs they haven't worn the navy alternates on the road.

Superstition? Trying something different after the stinker of game 1. and they won game 2.

Go A's!

14 hours ago, dont care said:

Exactly, they should use Queen City rather than buzz city which was completely manufactured by the team to sell the city.

Jerseys should say Queen City on them ?

58617034.jpg

Archived