NBA Changes 2015-16 Season

Josh.0

The best part about this is that it automatically makes all of the lesser Wizards' merch better. I've been to the official team store at the Verizon Center, and most of the merch features the monument logo or dc logo. But, the stuff online produced by various licensees often slaps on the Wizard Swastika logo on it instead. Their merch still won't be as nice as the stuff for, say, the Nets, but at least some of the phoned-in merch (e.g, generic polo shirts, Alyssa Milano's line for women) will be more palatable.

As a Wizards fan, I'm quite happy. :)

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eh. Doesn't really do it for me. The ball inside a roundel looks a little odd and forced to me. I wish they could have just made this the primary. Although I guess maybe forcing "Washington Wizards" around it may have looked odd also.

x2ulyduse08rm42lmtu9ugych.gif

I've never been crazy about the Monument ball logo. Maybe it's all the grey. Looks like they were trying to make this new primary look a bit like the DC flag, I think the effect would look better if the star in the middle wasn't grey.

1782961516_b4ecb57194.jpg

Overall this is better than the Papa Smurf doing a lay-up logo, but I'm definitely not head over heels about it.

90758391980.gif

I dig it, fine for them. Can they change their name next to fit the brand? All this stuff just makes me sad. Yet another team makes a change. All the while the Rockets have a front runner for MVP and are not even in top 20 in jersey sales for player or team. blah....

http://www.nba.com/2015/news/04/14/nba-most-popular-jerseys-2014-15-season-lebron-james-still-reigns/

Whoa, who saw this coming? New primary for the 'Zards:

CCo1fgvUMAEqEAg.jpg

Ehh...I don't really like it, honestly. The first thing I thought was "Expos roundel", and I can't unsee it now.

Besides, I've mentioned it before in the Unpopular Opinions thread but the wizard logo has always been one of my favorite logos in sports. It had great movement and flow, and was very well designed, IMO. It was a great primary mark. Moving from that to a roundel just dulls the identity. It removes the "flow" the wizard primary offered and substitutes it with something stationary and static. Not a great move.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

I dig it, fine for them. Can they change their name next to fit the brand?

Well, to be fair, the new primary still contains a crescent moon of sorts. But I'm fine with utterly abandoning any overt use of "wizard" imagery (sorcerer hats, crystal balls, magic wands, etc.). It's in keeping with franchise tradition -- the Bullets only used a representation of a "bullet" in their logo for 6 years of the team's existence. And, it's commonplace in the NBA (cf LAL, GSW, POR, NYK, DET, etc.). So to me, the current name fits the current brand just fine. :)

Please keep the Wizards name, even if there is no more wizards imagery. I'm tired of DC teams with names like Nationals, Capitals, Senators, United, Monuments, Congressmen, blah blah blah. We get it you're from DC

Okay fine. No Sens, Caps, Nats, ect type names.. but come on Wizards? That's a WNBA name. I'm hopeful this is just another step towards a name change. Bullets?

Please keep the Wizards name, even if there is no more wizards imagery. I'm tired of DC teams with names like Nationals, Capitals, Senators, United, Monuments, Congressmen, blah blah blah. We get it you're from DC

Okay fine. No Sens, Caps, Nats, ect type names.. but come on Wizards? That's a WNBA name. I'm hopeful this is just another step towards a name change. Bullets?
Actually, I think it'd be "Witches"...

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

Actually, I think it'd be "Witches"...

Friendly reminder that Washington Mystics is/was the WNBA team in DC.

First thing I thought of when I saw the new Wizards logo was a campaign button, so I think they did pretty well with the concept. But now the name is just...there...(though not uncommon in the NBA - Lakers, Clippers, Blazers, et al all have logos that are unrelated to the team name).

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

5671_washington_wizards-primary-2016.png

I'm glad the Wizard is dead, and I don't mind this logo. But, the font with the modernize serifs makes me feel awkward. Just doesn't fit the look it feels like they were going for?

And, do you notice the thin line of red below the blue part of the circle by the W and S of the WIZARDS name? Sloppy much?

^The Mystics are still around, though the RWB switch really didn't do their look any favors.

487452373-bria-hartley-and-stephanie-dol

I thought the entire WNBA stuck with a standardized Adidas template these days. I'm not sure how much freedom each team gets to establish their own identity, separate from the colors and the team logo/crest on left shoulder.

That being said, the WNBA store is only selling jerseys for four(!) teams right now, so perhaps the league is preparing for another uni overhaul.

I'm glad the Wizard is dead, and I don't mind this logo. But, the font with the modernize serifs makes me feel awkward. Just doesn't fit the look it feels like they were going for?

And, do you notice the thin line of red below the blue part of the circle by the W and S of the WIZARDS name? Sloppy much?

Oof. That error is definitely there in the style sheet PDF available for download from the Wizards' website. Sloppy indeed. Hopefully they'll fix that ASAP.

^The Mystics are still around, though the RWB switch really didn't do their look any favors.

487452373-bria-hartley-and-stephanie-dol

I thought the entire WNBA stuck with a standardized Adidas template these days. I'm not sure how much freedom each team gets to establish their own identity, separate from the colors and the team logo/crest on left shoulder.

That being said, the WNBA store is only selling jerseys for four(!) teams right now, so perhaps the league is preparing for another uni overhaul.

Yeah, it's a standardized template. When you have so little to work with design-wise, color choices become even more important. The RWB color scheme with this template makes them one of the most boring-looking teams in the WNBA, and that's saying something. I've also heard rumors of another league-wide (ugh) rebrand, but haven't come across any concrete news yet. Given Adidas' (and the WNBA's) history, I'm far from excited, or hopeful for something good.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

lol! Now that you mention it, there's also traces of red at the upper edges of the middle white stripes too (not to mention those white stripes don't connect cleanly with the stripes above and below them). I guess that's what happens when you try to sneakily rush out a new primary.

So is the roundel as primary a league mandate or what? I can't imagine every team would voluntarily/coincidentally adopt it.

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

From Twitter:

@larryluk: 100% convinced Clippers new logo was made in PowerPoint. I honestly can't believe my eyes. Will be worst logo in pro sports. Hands down.

I'm officially scared.

How do you make logos in PowerPoint? Does he mean MS Paint?

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

Archived