NBA Changes 2015-16 Season

Josh.0

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will this summer be the one with the most NBA rebrands (or at least new uniforms) ever?

Or: In which year happened the most?

I actually back tracked all the uniform changes since 99/00 (or at least all the ones on the site). I'll type the whole list up if any one is interested. The biggest years of change were:

2001/2002 when Dallas, Detroit, Miami, Milwaukee, New York, and Seattle all made changes. (6 teams)

in 02/03 Atlanta, Golden State, Portland, Sacramento and San Antonio all made changes. (5 teams, Spurs updated their logo yet the uniform stayed almost the same with the logo being changed out. Still included them in the count)

in 08/09 Minnesota, New Orleans, Oklahoma City, Orlando and Sacramento made major changes and Denver removed Royal Blue from their scheme resulting in a minor uni change. (6 teams)

in 2010/2011 there were a lot of small tweaks with the new Rev 30 system. The major changes were Utah, Clippers, Golden State, and Cleveland but if you count the minor tweaks that adds Atlanta, Memphis, Minnesota, Oklahoma City, Philly, San Antonio and Washington as well as Dallas changing their Road Uniform color. (A total of 12 changes)

My guess this year is we'll see 3 (Atlanta, Clippers, and Toronto) which is about the average of the major changes made per year. Major meaning more than switching logos on a jersey, replacing road jerseys with an existing alternate, changing templates, etc. The average if my math is right is 3.25 teams per year. I know people mention Mil, Phi and Min but I'll believe those when I see them. I'd be surprised if all 6 teams make major changes, but hey, it's happened before.

What did the Bucks do in 2001-02?

sig.png

Will this summer be the one with the most NBA rebrands (or at least new uniforms) ever?

I actually back tracked all the uniform changes since 99/00 (or at least all the ones on the site). I'll type the whole list up if any one is interested. The biggest years of change were:

2001/2002 when Dallas, Detroit, Miami, Milwaukee, New York, and Seattle all made changes. (6 teams)

in 02/03 Atlanta, Golden State, Portland, Sacramento and San Antonio all made changes. (5 teams, Spurs updated their logo yet the uniform stayed almost the same with the logo being changed out. Still included them in the count)

in 08/09 Minnesota, New Orleans, Oklahoma City, Orlando and Sacramento made major changes and Denver removed Royal Blue from their scheme resulting in a minor uni change. (6 teams)

in 2010/2011 there were a lot of small tweaks with the new Rev 30 system. The major changes were Utah, Clippers, Golden State, and Cleveland but if you count the minor tweaks that adds Atlanta, Memphis, Minnesota, Oklahoma City, Philly, San Antonio and Washington as well as Dallas changing their Road Uniform color. (A total of 12 changes)

My guess this year is we'll see 3 (Atlanta, Clippers, and Toronto) which is about the average of the major changes made per year. Major meaning more than switching logos on a jersey, replacing road jerseys with an existing alternate, changing templates, etc. The average if my math is right is 3.25 teams per year. I know people mention Mil, Phi and Min but I'll believe those when I see them. I'd be surprised if all 6 teams make major changes, but hey, it's happened before.

Changed the vertical stripes (added vertical side stripes to the jerseys) and changed the colors of the wordmark and numbers (incorporated more silver). Still stuck with the purple, green, silver, and white.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Thanks for this! I think the Bucks will be re-branding for 15/16 as well.

Jaguars

I don't mind the Bucks set. It feels very old-school in a league full of modernized generic junk. It needs some tweaking, but I wouldn't go too far from what they've got.

The Hawks never should've left the red-black-yellow. I remember everyone at the time hated it and was so excited for the re-brand, but it's so unoriginal. You can't tell who's playing until you get a close up or see the score box. I do however, love their primary logo. The full-bodied Hawk gripping the ball is probably my favorite in the league. I like the Pac-man, but think it's best served as a secondary mark (in place of that flying hawk head thing). Go back to either red-black-yellow or just red-yellow.

sig.png

Can someone please clarify where the TWolves information / rumor is coming from?

Back in late-2012 I had a conversation on Twitter with the director of digital media for the TWolves and I asked when will they finally adopt that awesome alternate logo as the primary. He responded as follows:

"That is a great question. I also prefer the secondary logo and wordmark, but there is still a lot of love internally for the primary still… I know there has been talk of the logo switch, but I wouldn't expect it anytime soon, I would think."

In light of this new rumor, I just sent a message following up on this issue. But if anyone has more information to share I'd love to hear it. As others have mentioned, this is a perfect time to rebrand. The old uniforms are quite stale but new uniforms based on the alternate logo could be a very strong identity.

I also think it would be nice to emphasize grey much more because Wolves are, in fact, grey.

Its a shame cause i loved these uniforms.

kscgfw5g5ne526e5riseieg7k.gif

But not as much as the golden fauxbacks

I used to think I was the only one who liked those, glad to see I'm not.

I completely forgot about that set, I never even realized it was taken out of the rotation until seeing this pic. I actually like this one better than the fauxbacks.

I received rather unfortunate (IMHO) response to my query about the TWolves logo change:

The focus now is the move more towards the partial primary to be the main fan-facing logo. That is the Wolf head without the trees.

The secondary logo (wolf howling at the moon) will mainly be used for our membership program, newly coined as the "Hardwood Club"

The primary logo (wolf head with trees in background) will still remain as the official primary logo, just will be rarely used.

I received rather unfortunate (IMHO) response to my query about the TWolves logo change:

The focus now is the move more towards the partial primary to be the main fan-facing logo. That is the Wolf head without the trees.

The secondary logo (wolf howling at the moon) will mainly be used for our membership program, newly coined as the "Hardwood Club"

The primary logo (wolf head with trees in background) will still remain as the official primary logo, just will be rarely used.

Why is it that every sports team that has an alternate logo that is better than the primary NEVER switch to it? It's super annoying.

bSLCtu2.png

Changed the vertical stripes (added vertical side stripes to the jerseys) and changed the colors of the wordmark and numbers (incorporated more silver). Still stuck with the purple, green, silver, and white.

Wanted to show the differences using the uniform scripts:

Home Uniform Script (1994-1995 through 2005-2006):

MilwaukeeBucks_HUS0101a_1995-2006_SCC_SR

Road Uniform Script (1994-1995 through 2000-2001):

MilwaukeeBucks_RUS0101a_1995-2001_SCC_SR

Road Uniform Script (2001-2002 through 2005-2006):

MilwaukeeBucks_RUS0101a_2002-2006_SCC_SR

Note the ridiculous outlines on the 95-01 road script. Just stupid.

It looks to me like the Bucks actually went through three different road wordmarks during that era. They originally wore that triple-outlined wordmark that ColorWerx posted when those uniforms first came out, as shown by this Glenn Robinson game-worn from '95:

4MliEh4.jpg

However, it appears that somewhere along the line, they switched to something more along the lines of the '01 wordmark, as shown by this Ray Allen game-worn from '99:

AgY1CeU.jpg

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I don't mind the Bucks set. It feels very old-school in a league full of modernized generic junk. It needs some tweaking, but I wouldn't go too far from what they've got.

The Hawks never should've left the red-black-yellow. I remember everyone at the time hated it and was so excited for the re-brand, but it's so unoriginal. You can't tell who's playing until you get a close up or see the score box. I do however, love their primary logo. The full-bodied Hawk gripping the ball is probably my favorite in the league. I like the Pac-man, but think it's best served as a secondary mark (in place of that flying hawk head thing). Go back to either red-black-yellow or just red-yellow.

Agree with you on both instances, only that I wouldn't make any changes to the Bucks' look at all. Decapitalizing the first and last letters in their uniform wordmark that was very characteristic to them was also a big downgrade.

The Hawks' primary logo is one of the better in the league. The new Pac-man should be a tertiary at best. They've ruined the current look totally with it, as it doesn't match it at all, without mentioning that the secondary logo it replaced was great and also top of the league. Also, the Pac-man is not a primary-caliber logo, as it will be made to be after this season.

Love that Nuggets alternate, but as an alternate. The light blues are just too pretty.

Also, that's the best jersey the Bobcats ever had. Light years ahead of any of their other seemingly unending options.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Archived