NBA Changes 2015-16 Season

Josh.0

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even with the Warriors winning a(nother) title, Golden State is a horrible name. They should take the name San Francisco when they move there.

That being said, in the last week I thought it was a bit sad that they were leaving Oakland. I mean, to begin with, it's Oakland. The Athletics and Raiders both perpetually have one foot out the door, and at least one of them will be leaving in the next five years. The Warriors fans have been loud and loyal through a lot of crappy basketball. The fans were finally repaid last week, and the parade went through the streets of Oakland. It seemed to me like this team was uniquely an Oakland team, but a few short years from now they'll be packing up and moving to greener pastures, and maybe losing a good amount of the team's soul. I realize that the people sitting in the lower bowl were still really wealthy anyway, with a large number of them coming from SF. But I imagine the new arena in San Fransisco is going to have a much, much higher percentage of wealthy people, people who spend the entire game on their cellphones, and in general 20-something singles with nothing better to do. The new digs will have considerably higher prices and be away from their existing base. Sure, a cool new arena downtown will draw in the hipster element, but I imagine it will cost them some of their lifers. Am I way off-base here? Is a huge amount of their fandom already coming from SF?

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Because they're not only representing the Bay Area, but are also representing the Golden State, known as California. They are, the Golden State Warriors; California's team. :P

In all seriousness, I'm not sure what would be better for the Warriors. In my opinion, "Golden State" is pretty unique and I like that uniqueness, but I also see "San Francisco" as a great name because that's the name of the Bay. "Golden State" may be a slap to the face to the other California teams, however, there would be a good chance they'd lose some (if not all) of the fanbase in Oakland if they were to change to "San Francisco". Considering they've been known as "Golden State" for this long, I'm inclined for them to just stick with it.

You are correct that many fans would turn their backs if they adopted the San Francisco moniker. As united as the Bay is, it can also be just as divided. The Golden State Warriors are kind of unique. They represent the whole bay, and their name is ambiguous. Though they play in Oakland, not being the Oakland Warriors allows fans in other communities to consider them "their team". The Warriors toyed with the idea of switching to the Oakland Warriors, (over a decade ago now), but came to the conclusion that fans liked the non-centralized name, and we're used to, and committed to, the Golden State tag. SF will piss off legions of fans who may very well turn away, champions or not. Seems petty, because it is. But that's sports and loyalty.

This seems like the best place to put this ... but with Charlotte named the host of the 2017 All-Star Game here is the logo they've been using during the bid process. Sure it's the bid logo, but I don't see it changing much.

charlotte-allstar.jpg

This seems like the best place to put this ... but with Charlotte named the host of the 2017 All-Star Game here is the logo they've been using during the bid process. Sure it's the bid logo, but I don't see it changing much.

charlotte-allstar.jpg

Wow just wow!!

Now as for those plain lookin Raptors atrocities...they need to stay extinct or keep their current set. Rebrand was a waste.

shado_logo.gif

I don't think it was ever mentionned here, but I heard somewhere that the Nuggets will also be getting new uniforms. Same logos, same colors, but tweaks to all 3 jerseys.

So here's another to add to the list of changes.

Edit: Right here...

nuggets1.png

So how many teams have unique aspects to their jerseys now? Hawks with the triangles and colors, Warriors with the crest, Suns with the rays, Clippers with their atrocities, Magic with their pinstripes, Wizards with their stripes, Wolves with their trees on the side panel, Portland with their stripes, Bucks with their rainbow pattern, Sixers with their stars, Nuggets mountain alt.

Lakers, Celtics, Bulls, Knicks, Spurs and maybe the Pistons can get a pass for having bland jerseys due to tradition, but the Mavs, Pacers, Rockets, Grizzlies, Cavs, Pelicans, Thunder, Raptors, Heat, Nets (although I like their uniforms), Hornets (really missed an opportunity with a honeycomb), Jazz and Kings really need to step it up and make their uniforms more distinct.

I don't think it was ever mentionned here, but I heard somewhere that the Nuggets will also be getting new uniforms. Same logos, same colors, but tweaks to all 3 jerseys.

So here's another to add to the list of changes.

Edit: Right here...

nuggets1.png

Make the numbers white on the away and I'm liking these.

Also, that Charlotte All-star logo is nothing special, should've used some Hornets related imagery, like the honeycomb, for example.

EDIT: Oh, there is one, but it's very well hidden behind all the elements.

charlotte-allstar.jpg

Has a 90s vibe. That's not a bad thing.

I would be shocked if that turns out to be the logo. During the press conference, they used a placeholder on the background curtain, which was just text. I do think the All-Star text will be similar though.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

So how many teams have unique aspects to their jerseys now? Hawks with the triangles and colors, Warriors with the crest, Suns with the rays, Clippers with their atrocities, Magic with their pinstripes, Wizards with their stripes, Wolves with their trees on the side panel, Portland with their stripes, Bucks with their rainbow pattern, Sixers with their stars, Nuggets mountain alt.

Lakers, Celtics, Bulls, Knicks, Spurs and maybe the Pistons can get a pass for having bland jerseys due to tradition, but the Mavs, Pacers, Rockets, Grizzlies, Cavs, Pelicans, Thunder, Raptors, Heat, Nets (although I like their uniforms), Hornets (really missed an opportunity with a honeycomb), Jazz and Kings really need to step it up and make their uniforms more distinct.

The ones I bolded are fine. Some of them either connect to their history in a way (Heat, Hornets), some are a new start to their "new" franchises (Nets, Pelicans), and some just look really good (Pacers, Grizzlies).

I'm probably in the super-uber-minority with this, but I kinda wish the Warriors had gone with "California Warriors" from the get-go. I mean, "Golden State" already says that in its own way, but "California" would've avoided sounding like a mid-major university.

Of course now, "Golden State" has been in use for so long that a change at this junction and time would be a bit weird to take in. So I don't really advocate a change now. I just wish something else would've been adopted from the start.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Archived