Logos Unveiled Today: University of Texas Rio Grande Valley (UTRGV) Athletics.

Luke_Groundrunner

As many of you may, or may not know, the UTPA Broncs will officially become the UTRGV Vaqueros (Rio Grande Valley Vaqueros) after the 2014-15 NCAA Athletics season is over, and today (Feb 6th 2015) the UTRGV Athletics department unveiled their new logos.

[Translation - vaqueros in english means cowboys]

First, here is a snippet from Wikipedia regarding the UTPA to UTRGV change.

The 2014–15 school year will be the last for UTPA as an institution. At that time, UTPA will merge with the University of Texas at Brownsville to create the new University of Texas Rio Grande Valley (UTRGV). The University of Texas System stated in July 2014 that "the UTPA athletics program will be converted into the athletics program at UTRGV".

On November 5, 2014, UTRGV's new nickname of Vaqueros was announced.

Their new Graphics Identity package, which was designed by Rickbaugh Graphics, consists of 23 different logo designs, as well as other 3,2 and 1 colour applications for each logo.

The primary logo and secondary logo

UTrGV%2001.png

The alternate logos.

UTrGV%2002.png

UTrGV%2003.png

UTrGV%2004.png

The Wordmark logos.

UTrGV%2005.png

UTRGV%2006.png

UTRGV%2007.png

Also, for your reading pleasure, here's a link to an article on the new logos that includes comments from future UTRGV athletics director Chris King. http://www.valleymorningstar.com/news/local_news/article_8c16c4f4-ae41-11e4-aa32-1fe114e447a5.html

So what do you all think of the new brand?

[PS - I've uploaded these new graphics to the site.]

Well... it's not bad, but it's not great either. I like the idea of combining orange (the unofficial color of Texas), green (for UTPA) and blue (for UT-Brownsville).

I think it works just fine.

I really wish they wouldn't have given the horse that pupil. I also wish there had been a way to have the abbreviated wordmark on the state outline such that the green star would only have to appear once, instead of awkwardly being repeated. And then of course why does the font have to be beveled? Other than those complaints I think this is a solid look.

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

I'm a current utpa student and I think this package is miles better than the current Broncs identity. The current set looks very generic. This new one has its flaws ( like the horse pupil and sunburnt face) but it looks a lot more professional and won't look out of place next to other schools.

And I'm not a huge fan of the name but I don't hate it either. I just think there's gonna be a lot of inconsistency in the pronunciation.

Good idea, mediocre execution. The horse looks closer to a giant wolf, the positioning/perspective of the cowboy's arm is all out of whack, and the white eye on the horse makes it look 2D compared to the rider.

The hidden Texas is clever and the type is nice... But Rickabaugh often gets really sloppy with illustrations.

I really wish they wouldn't have given the horse that pupil. I also wish there had been a way to have the abbreviated wordmark on the state outline such that the green star would only have to appear once, instead of awkwardly being repeated. And then of course why does the font have to be beveled? Other than those complaints I think this is a solid look.

Seems like they could've just used a dot instead of a star.

But aside from a few minor nitpicks like that, I really like this.

I love the negative Texas shape as well!

Switch navy with purple and you might the best looking logo out there. Besides they have enough blue and orange schools in Texas UTEP, UTSA, Texas-Arlington, and Sam Houston State to name a few.

That is seriously nice. Perhaps a few too many variations, but a great look with "out there" colors.

Well, green, navy and orange is a pretty unique colour scheme, for what its worth.

The blue, green and orange colors are from the two schools that combined (UTPA = green & orange & UTB = blue & orange). All UT schools have some shade of orange as one of the colors.

51b96389cf88c.image.jpgSG-UTB-Athletics-Logos.png

Archived