NBA Uniform Concepts - A Color Balanced NBA

Fifty8_Black O

This was a thread a few years back nut with the talk in the NBA changes thread of so many teams sharing colors (ie an abundance of RWB teams, a lot of teams with red or blue primary colors, etc.) I made a spreadsheet of what I'd like to see for each team wear.

I don't plan on mocking these out in terms of logos or uniforms but I might in my spare time. (EDIT: Now I'm going through and doing jersey redesigns. Check it out below.) Most of these are self explanatory but I'll explain some of my more out there picks. My hope is others will chime in with what they'd like to see. If anything I was hoping to balance schemes, give a unique scheme to (almost) every team, and also make every team look good in my mind.

Here's the spreadsheet:

hmXDkRA.jpg

BK: Changed to Dodger Blue and Grey

DAL: Back to Royal and Kelly with Navy as a small part of the scheme

DET: I'll probably have to mock this up eventually but I've always believed a team named the pistons could use a more industrial scheme and was a good candidate for dropping RWB, traded it for burnt orange, greenish teal, grey and navy

LAC: SKY AND ORANGE FTW!!

MEM: Double brown with light blue makes sense to me for a team named the Grizzlies (concept from these boards, user: HisAirness24)

MIL: Irish rainbow with hunter orange. Saw a concept (by LightsOut I think) and loved it.

NO: Mardi Gras colors

OKC: Loved this scheme from Ian Bakar (scroll down for the Thunder, the one with the buffalo)

SAC: Based off the old gold alt

Overall I think it makes the league look pretty balanced and unique. What do you guys think? Like? Hate? Make your own!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes you're rught, that's true. It also was a very in your face attempt to do so. These are definitely inspired by that set but would be a little more subdued. Maybe the teal is too much but the burnt orange "rust" color has been something I wanted to see for a team named the Pistons. I think if they could come up with a unique scheme that fit them well then a change from RWB could still be feasible.

For God's sakes no.The Mavericks do not need to go back to green anywhere in their scheme.

Why not? I've seen it done well a few times on the boards before and I think it's far superior to the boring navy, royal, silver scheme they wear now.

Here's just one example I remember of making the mavs look better by adding green:

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/92854-dallas-mavericks-new-branding-jersey-idea/

Concept by member 'tysonbrehm'

I've decided I'd try and flesh out some of these looks.

Here's Atlanta.

ATLANTA HAWKS

I went back to red and yellow with a deeper red and a brighter yellow. Added black but its not a straight black, closer to charcoal. Almost the same as the potential new scheme thats been rumored for them.

lrt7PcT.jpg

I'm still not sure why everyone wants the Bucks to add hunter orange. They team is named after deer, not the rednecks who try to kill them.

This is true, but Hawks arent red and yellow, Hornets aren't purple and teal and I've never seen a blue Grizzlie Bear. Not trying to sound condescending but it's not supposed to match the animal but instead give it an identity. Hunter orange has always made sense to me due to the local ties. I've often heard it joked that it's the unofficial third color of the packers. Just makes sense and IMO would be a really cool look.

I'd make the wordmark smaller, since in real life the A in Atlanta will be in the armpit. Like where this is heading!

Good call, I'll go back at the end and fix little details like that. My hope if when I'm done I can put all the uniforms together on a picture and it'll give a nice visual of a more color balanced league.

Boston is the next team and since they're staying the same you can just use your imagination. I'll post Brooklyn later tonight or tomorrow in the Dodgers colors. I think they look really sharp.

I'm still not sure why everyone wants the Bucks to add hunter orange. They team is named after deer, not the rednecks who try to kill them.

This is true, but Hawks arent red and yellow, Hornets aren't purple and teal and I've never seen a blue Grizzlie Bear. Not trying to sound condescending but it's not supposed to match the animal but instead give it an identity. Hunter orange has always made sense to me due to the local ties. I've often heard it joked that it's the unofficial third color of the packers. Just makes sense and IMO would be a really cool look.

I think you're missing my point. I'm not saying the Bucks should wear brown because real life bucks are brown or anything like that. But blaze orange is associated with the biggest predator of the whitetail deer (humans/hunters). It'd be more like the Oklahoma Sooners incorporating Texas orange into their uniforms.

As far as blaze orange being the Packers' third color... Green Bay is not Milwaukee and deer hunting is a much, MUCH bigger deal up there than it is downstate. For the most part, the only people who even care about hunting in Milwaukee are transplants from up north and retired people with nothing better to do.

All that said, I could see the Bucks putting out gear of some type with hunter orange to try and sell merch upstate, and this is your concept. That still doesn't mean I have to like it. :P

Here's the Nets

BROOKLYN NETS

One potential change I might make to these is to lighten the grey to make the blue stand out more. Obviously they're modeled after the dodgers.

LZLmy5Z.jpg

I went with grey for the road jersey color to break up the monotonous of all the teams having white homes, a rule that I wont adhere to in this conceptual universe. The number on the front intentionally doesn't match the other numbers as a nod to the red numbers from the Dodgers jerseys without creating another RWB team. I played around with a design in the side panels similar to what they wore in NJ but never got it to look right.

Thoughts? CLT is up next with just a minor tweak to the new set they're wearing currently.

FAKE EDIT: One more note on the Nets- there are a lot of amazing Nets concepts out there IMO. Ranging from current black and white scheme looks to NJ Nets colors to others like mine based off the Dodgers. One that I think is absolutely outstanding to the point I feel the need to comment on was this thread by LightsOut. I love that direction for the Nets but I also really like the Dodgers esque set. His was so unique that the only way I could recreate that magic would be to directly rip it off. The black top court is the real gem of the concept. So go look at his (look don't bump!) and appreciate the creativity.

I think you're missing my point. I'm not saying the Bucks should wear brown because real life bucks are brown or anything like that. But blaze orange is associated with the biggest predator of the whitetail deer (humans/hunters). It'd be more like the Oklahoma Sooners incorporating Texas orange into their uniforms.

As far as blaze orange being the Packers' third color... Green Bay is not Milwaukee and deer hunting is a much, MUCH bigger deal up there than it is downstate. For the most part, the only people who even care about hunting in Milwaukee are transplants from up north and retired people with nothing better to do.

All that said, I could see the Bucks putting out gear of some type with hunter orange to try and sell merch upstate, and this is your concept. That still doesn't mean I have to like it. :P

You're absolutely right and if you don't like it thats fair...just don't tell me and ruin my day B) haha but really thanks for the input. I was mostly basing the addition of orange off of seeing it done and liking the look and not knowing the area as well as you do making assumptions based of what I've heard elsewhere. Perhaps I'll have a change of heart by the time I get to MIL. I still am committed to an irish rainbow update and I'd like to include a complementary color to break up all the green, perhaps you have a suggestion?

Here's the Brooklyn alt. Similar to how the Lakers wear their whites on home sunday gamedays, these would be reserved for sunday games for the Nets.

aI2cPg0.jpg

Updated the thread title to better reflect whats happening in here. Hornets are next. Give me your thoughts on the Nets or Hawks while we wait!

76ers and Wizards colors still look to similar... One of them needs to hop off the same rock.

They are similar you're right, but the fact that there are only two NBA teams in this fictional universe with that scheme was a feat in itself. I couldn't really choose either of them to bail on red and blue. I think once I flesh out their uniforms they'll look different enough. If you have a suggestion of a better color scheme for either let me know I'm definitely open to suggestions.

Archived