Knicks Owner to Fan: "Start Rooting for the Nets Because the Knicks Don't Want You"

Gothamite

Deadspin has an amazing correspondence between a long-time Knicks fan and scumbag owner James Dolan:

http://deadspin.com/dolan-start-rooting-for-the-nets-because-the-knicks-d-1684489469

The fan wrote him this letter:

Subject: I have been a knicks fan since 1952

At one stage I thought that you did a wonderful thing when you acquired EVERYTHING from your dad. However, since then it has been ALL DOWN HILL. Your working with Isaiah Thomas & everything else regarding the Knicks. Bringing on Phil Jackson was a positive beginning, but lowballing Steve Kerr was a DISGRACE to the knicks. The bottom line is that you merely continued to interfere with the franchise.

As a knicks fan for in excess of 60 years, I am utterly embarrassed by your dealings with the Knicks. Sell them so their fans can at least look forward to growing them in a positive direction Obviously, money IS NOT THE ONLY THING. You have done a lot of utterly STUPID business things with the franchise. Please NO MORE.

Respectfully,

[Aaron Bierman's dad]

A bit strong, but I'm impressed that he kept it from being personal. Bierman criticizes many of Dolan's actions, but not Dolan personally.

Dolan wasn't so restrained:

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 8:15 PM, James Dolan <JDOLAN@cablevision.com> wrote:

Mr Bierman

You are a sad person. Why would anybody write such a hateful letter. I am.just guessing but ill bet your life is a mess and you are a hateful mess. What have you done that anyone would consider positive or nice. I am betting nothing. In fact ill bet you are negative force in everyone who comes in contact with you. You most likely have made your family miserable. Alcoholic maybe. I just celebrated my 21 year anniversary of sobriety. You should try it. Maybe it will help you become a person that folks would like to have around. In the mean while start rooting.for the Nets because the Knicks dont want you.

Respectfully

James Dolan

Yeah, that'll win over a frustrated and jaded fanbase.

My favorite part is how both messages close with "respectfully".

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I enjoy how Dolan can barely write.

Yeah... about that - has it actually been confirmed that this is real? I seriously doubt it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Now that Sterling is out, is there any other NBA owner who can challenge Dolan for "worst in the league"?

Between the Dolans and Wilpons, New York has more than its share of bottom-feeding owners running storied clubs into the ground. Two of the worst owners in their respective sports in one city.

Now that Sterling is out, is there any other NBA owner who can challenge Dolan for "worst in the league"?

Jerry Reinsdorf

I even forgot about Reinsdorf.

Dolan is still no better than a Bronze Medalist.

Rich DeVos (Orlando), Glen Taylor (Minnesota) and Joshua Harris (Philadelphia) are the clubhouse leaders.

Jerry Reinsdorf

Yes, you've made your obsession with Reinsdorf clear. And your dislike of him includes "he's probably racist because he's a NY Jew like Sterling." However, there isn't a standard by which he's among the worst owners in the league.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

That's not what's happening. Thibs has his trouble with the front office, Gar in particular. The most recent issue was that the front office gave authority over minutes per game to the head trainer after Thibs repeatedly threw guys out there for 40+ minutes after returning from injuries. Look, he's a brilliant defensive mind, but it's clear he has his warts. Otherwise, he would have gotten a head coaching job before age 53. He has an in-your-face approach which eventually leads to the players tuning out. And there have been several times where it looked like the players were doing so. He refuses to lay off the gas, even leaving starters in the game when it's well out of reach. Players get worn out because he runs them into the ground on a nightly basis. From time to time we get cryptic quotes from the players like Rose a few weeks back where it seems like they're throwing secret barbs at Thibs. So he's a great coach, but he might be a super nova who is nearly at the end of his effectiveness, anyway. And that's even assuming that Jerry is orchestrating things and trying to squeeze him out, as you say. He doesn't have time for such plebeian things. He's busy lighting cigars with hundred dollar bills and forcing minorities out of their houses, or something.

More to my point, I'm not saying Reinsdorf should be sainted. But there might be a handful of other basketball organizations which have been better run over the last thirty years. The only way his name shows up on a list of worst owners is if you're taking a poll exclusively of 40-somethings from Schaumburg who think that a 42 year-old Michael Jordan would have lead the Bulls to a 10-peat in 2005 if not for Jerry being "miserly."

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived