FAKING IT: TSN documentary on counterfeiting

nash61

There is a reason NHL jerseys are the most counter-fitted.

Counter-argument: a jersey is a luxury item, not an essential. You don't NEED one, so you aren't entitled to one at a "reasonable" price.

Don't get me wrong. The prices are, in my opinion, too high. That's why I've only bought one sweater since the EDGE changeover. The solution, though, isn't to support an illegal business. It's to just go "well I guess I won't get a jersey." If enough people do that then basic supply and demand will force the NHL to lower their prices.

Not to mention the fact that there are literally hundreds, if not thousands of licensed jerseys in good condition on sites such as eBay for less than $100 (sometimes much less). Price isn't a problem if you know where to look.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for that.

Despite what you think counterfeit jerseys do not matter if the quality is on par with the officials, I having both official and bootleg jerseys. The difference is paying $60 or less for what is a solid replica by essentially chinese slaves or paying $100-400 for a $30 jersey made by essentially chinese slaves that the rich elite consider "authentic products". I don't feel moral either way.

I could not see paying more than $50 max on a jersey of any kind. It's something you just wear to support a team, why does it need to be "official"? And yes, you make it up through other purchases to support your team.

And they brought up that it sometimes goes into other illegal operations, the two choices for the same product are corrupt businessmen who ruin lives and those in illegal operations who ruins lives. They are honestly on the same level of scum to me, so I just choose to get most of my jerseys from thrift shops. At least i know the money is actually going to help people.

Again. You're not entitled to a jersey. If you can't afford a jersey, or don't want to pay the money, then you simply don't get one.

Thanks for that.

Despite what you think counterfeit jerseys do not matter if the quality is on par with the officials, I having both official and bootleg jerseys. The difference is paying $60 or less for what is a solid replica by essentially chinese slaves or paying $100-400 for a $30 jersey made by essentially chinese slaves that the rich elite consider "authentic products". I don't feel moral either way.

I could not see paying more than $50 max on a jersey of any kind. It's something you just wear to support a team, why does it need to be "official"? And yes, you make it up through other purchases to support your team.

And they brought up that it sometimes goes into other illegal operations, the two choices for the same product are corrupt businessmen who ruin lives and those in illegal operations who ruins lives. They are honestly on the same level of scum to me, so I just choose to get most of my jerseys from thrift shops. At least i know the money is actually going to help people.

Again. You're not entitled to a jersey. If you can't afford a jersey, or don't want to pay the money, then you simply don't get one.

Yeah unfortunately capitalism and the law do not work hand in hand all the time. Clearly there's enough members of society knowingly willing to purchase counterfeit goods without remorse. The leagues are complicit in creating the market by driving price points so high that an inferior yet acceptable facsimile can be effectively produced sold at roughly 30% of legitimate retail prices. For law enforcement, counterfeit consumer goods are a very low priority given the resources available so basically the burden of enforcement is back on the leagues. Good luck with that as one of the biggest accomplices in the counterfeit trade (eBay) has successfully absolved themselves from the mess.

As long as the economic environment is favorable for counterfeiting there will always be a marketplace full of fake jerseys. I prefer to take the morality out of the situation and put the onus on the leagues to manage their economic problem.

Again though, it's not an essential product. This isn't medicine or food that people are being priced out of. It's a piece of apparel supporting a sports team. Like it or not there is a moral factor at play here. So if you don't want to pay the price for this luxury item then the moral thing is to just not get a jersey. Seeing as it's not essential? Your life won't change for the worse.

On top of that? I find it laughable that people justify counterfeit jerseys with the attitude of "screw these corporate fatcats!" At the end of the day you're still spending money to show your allegiance to a pro sports team. A corporation run by the same 1% you feel like you're sticking it to.

Also, wait for sales.

Sabres home jersey: 25% off end of season sale

Sabres third: 40% off during Christmas sales

Marlies home/away jersey(2011-2012): On Sale because new jerseys, 30$ each(CAD)

Sabres slug team issued: 25$ because it was a couple years after they used it

Bills Fitz Jersey: 25$ for the, i forget what they call them but the middle level NFL tier: after he was traded

Wait for sales and jerseys aren't too too expensive for the real thing. And a note for the above, ALL of them were purchased at their respective team stores.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Again though, it's not an essential product. This isn't medicine or food that people are being priced out of. It's a piece of apparel supporting a sports team. Like it or not there is a moral factor at play here. So if you don't want to pay the price for this luxury item then the moral thing is to just not get a jersey. Seeing as it's not essential? Your life won't change for the worse.

On top of that? I find it laughable that people justify counterfeit jerseys with the attitude of "screw these corporate fatcats!" At the end of the day you're still spending money to show your allegiance to a pro sports team. A corporation run by the same 1% you feel like you're sticking it to.

I've never bought a fake nor will I because I believe in purchasing quality product which also means I'd only buy authentic (yes they're not true on field) and completely bypass replicas. Unfortunately there's hundreds of thousands of consumers that are either ignorant or indifferent and opt for the cheap bootleg. Why do you think so many consumers disregard the moral aspect to buying fake? Do you have any ideas that would change the current message that you disapprove of? Just curious here for the sake of discussion.

People don't care about the moral aspect of buying a fake because:

a ) I know we have a thread full of examples of terrible fakes, but not all fakes are terrible.

b ) People aren't jersey nerds like us and wont notice minor differences

c ) I'll single hockey out because they are the worst for it, the prices of the real thing are absolutely exorbitant.

Nobody is saying "Screw these corporate fatcats". People just want to support their team by wearing a jersey around but can't justify the $170 it costs.

I don't own a fake jersey but I probably wouldn't feel bad about buying a hockey fake if the quality was good enough.

Why is it that so many people are fine spending $40 on a knock-off because it's cheaper, (and allegedly looks perfect) yet not one of those people would buy a knock-off say iPhone for $100 when an authentic one will cost you $700? They'd likely call someone out on having a fake phone yet, the jersey is fine. Most phones are designed to break after 2 years and become obsolete within a year. I just don't get why clothing seems to be fine to bootleg, yet other things that are priced far worse are okay to spend money on?

First off, I had no idea you could get knock-off cell phones. Secondly, most people are not paying full retail for a phone. I got my first phone in 1997, and have never paid more than $100 for a phone. Wait for your upgrade, and you get a ridiculous discount. I also did not buy a smart phone until November 2013. Upgrade was due, and Best Buy had a promotion for a free Galaxy s4 if you extend your service contract 2 years. Third, most people are constantly using their cell phones, while they are only wearing their knock-off jersey a few times a year when they go to a game. People do not want to spend $200-300 for something that is going to be hanging in a closet most of the time, when they can get something for $40. They are not worried that the fonts aren't perfect or the colors are exact. They just want something to show they are a Rangers fan or a Giants fan or a Red Sox fan or whatever.

Thanks for that.

I can afford jerseys, can afford the authentic jerseys. My wife and I make almost $300K a year combined. We only have 1 child to support and we bought a very modest house compared to what we can "afford". I have a Chevy Equinox and we are buying her a Hyundai Sonata this weekend. We can afford to each have a BMW, but we 1) do not want to spend that much for a car and 2) would rather put our money elsewhere. I simply refuse to spend the kind of money on a jersey that these manufacturers are charging. I really do not have any ethical qualms about the legalities of the jersey nor do I really care that the bootleggers are "stealing" the leagues intellectual property. It is not my fault Reebok paid the NHL and NFL the ridiculous money they did for the licensing.

I agree with those that say hockey knock-offs look terrible, and I have never knowingly bought one. I have bought some knock-off t-shirts. Outside the stadiums while tailgating. Guy walking around. Not often, but a few times I liked the shirts and bought one. I will look on Ebay for deals and the only hockey jersey I have bought in the last 7 years was at a store that was closing. Grabbed a Rangers Replica for $30 and then paid ~$100 at Cosby's to have the name and number put on. THAT in my mind is reasonable. IF there was a bootlegger that could make Rangers jerseys correctly, I would consider buying one.

I have 5 Giants jerseys I will wear to Giants games, jersey day at school, etc. Bought them all on Ebay. I think one is a knock-off. A justin tuck and the 9's on the front and back are HUGE, just doesn't look right. But, whatever, I will still wear it from time to time.

I do not care that by buying the unlicensed merchandise I am not supporting the teams and leagues. Lower the prices, and I will consider it. Frankly, I would rather give my $40 or $50 to a guy at a flea market who is selling knock-offs to put food on his table than give $300 to a group of billionaires who collectively earn $10Billion a year from their product and whose only concern is how they can up their revenues to $10,000,000,001.

I am not a cheap person. I have season tickets to both the NY Giants and NY Rangers. I have also had partial plans off and on over the years for the Mets. I travel to at least 1 road game for both the Rangers and Giants every year, and I do not mean going to see them play the Devils in NJ. I am talking about a trip that involves either air fare or a 6-8 hour drive and hotel rooms, etc. Just not spending what they want for a jersey.

Also, wait for sales.

Sabres home jersey: 25% off end of season sale

Sabres third: 40% off during Christmas sales

Marlies home/away jersey(2011-2012): On Sale because new jerseys, 30$ each(CAD)

Sabres slug team issued: 25$ because it was a couple years after they used it

Bills Fitz Jersey: 25$ for the, i forget what they call them but the middle level NFL tier: after he was traded

Wait for sales and jerseys aren't too too expensive for the real thing. And a note for the above, ALL of them were purchased at their respective team stores.

This is true. Giants will have a sale at the team store for season ticket holders every year. 50% off jerseys, 40% off everything else. 2013, I bought a jersey for my brother and daughter, this past year bought a jersey for my friend's son. Prices were not AS RIDICULOUS, but still high.

Rangers do the same. Season ticket holders get a discount based on your tenure. I get 20% off everything at the team store. But, their prices are still way too high. They also run a promotion where if you spend $75 on your chase card, you get a $25 gift card. Took advantage of that this year. My sister in law had a baby in October, bought my nephew and my daughter sets of Rangers onesies, with my discount came to $76. Used the gift card to buy myself a new hat as my old one was pretty beat-up. However, 20% off their price for jerseys is still much more than I am willing to spend.

What I find laughable is that you are so concerned about the morality of buying a knock-off. People will buy it to show they are a fan or maybe because they like how it looks. Unless you work for or own the team, why do you care how someone else spends their money?

I didn't want to start a new thread for this, but I have a question for those who are opposed to knowingly purchasing counterfeit/knock-off items.

How do you feel about things like "We Bleed Blue"? Here is their link if you are not familiar: http://www.webleedblue.com/shirts.html

Basically, they make Rangers themed shirts without using the Rangers logo, or the word Rangers. No idea if they have permission from the individual players or Sam Rosen.

With the Mets, we have the 7-line, but it looks like they now do make items with the Mets logo and NY, and actually have a booth at citi-field. Not sure when that started, but for a while they too were like We Bleed Blue and just made Mets-themed shirts without the word Mets, or the logos. For those who may not know, the 7 line is the subway that runs from Manhattan to Shea/Citi.

http://shop.the7line.com/

What I find laughable is that you are so concerned about the morality of buying a knock-off. People will buy it to show they are a fan or maybe because they like how it looks. Unless you work for or own the team, why do you care how someone else spends their money?

I'm not a fan of intellectual property theft.

Nobody is saying "Screw these corporate fatcats".

Over the holiday break I purchased a Blue Jackets authentic home jersey from the team store. It was $285, three hundo with tax.

If I want to support my team (which is not essential to my being) I have five options: I can buy a Replica jersey, Authentic jersey, counterfeit jersey, some other type of apparel, or not buying anything at all.

I can eliminate replica and counterfeit right away. I don't want a replica because the sh***y plastic shoulder patches are unacceptable as a discerning jersey loving hockey fan, the materials don't come close to feeling legit, the hem slits are weird, and the jock tag requires me to do surgery with a threadripper. Counterfeit jerseys don't come close to matching the quality of the real deal. NOT EVEN CLOSE. I can spot one from a mile away and people in them (usually Penguins and Blackhawks fans) always look like idiots. Plus, I refuse to support IP theft and that shady industry. Did I mention the counterfeits always look like s***?

So that leaves me with three choices: buy the authentic, buy another type of apparel, don't buy anything at all. It sucks the league and their jersey supplier puts me in a position where I must pay $300 if I want a jersey of acceptable quality, but that’s the reality, which is why for 7 years I chose not buy an NHL jersey (my exGF gave me a replica CBJ third jersey, which I’m fine with wearing because it doesn’t have shoulder patches). I couldn’t justify the expense and chose to buy other apparel like jackets and shirseys. Now that I have a job that pays better than any job I’ve ever had before I was able to make that decision and purchase an authentic jersey.

And you know what? I’ll likely have this thing longer than any counterfeit or replica would last. It’s made with heavy materials, sewn on logos, and I refuse to put a number on it. It will be the only CBJ jersey I’ll ever need (provided they don’t change their uniforms). When you look at it that way $300 for one jersey over the lifetime of that uniform isn’t so bad of a financial commitment.

I guess I said all that to say that buying a counterfeit jersey should not be a viable option.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Over the holiday break I purchased a Blue Jackets authentic home jersey from the team store. It was $285, three hundo with tax.

If I want to support my team (which is not essential to my being) I have five options: I can buy a Replica jersey, Authentic jersey, counterfeit jersey, some other type of apparel, or not buying anything at all.

I can eliminate replica and counterfeit right away. I don't want a replica because the sh***y plastic shoulder patches are unacceptable as a discerning jersey loving hockey fan, the materials don't come close to feeling legit, the hem slits are weird, and the jock tag requires me to do surgery with a threadripper. Counterfeit jerseys don't come close to matching the quality of the real deal. NOT EVEN CLOSE. I can spot one from a mile away and people in them (usually Penguins and Blackhawks fans) always look like idiots. Plus, I refuse to support IP theft and that shady industry. Did I mention the counterfeits always look like s***?

So that leaves me with three choices: buy the authentic, buy another type of apparel, don't buy anything at all. It sucks the league and their jersey supplier puts me in a position where I must pay $300 if I want a jersey of acceptable quality, but that’s the reality, which is why for 7 years I chose not buy an NHL jersey (my exGF gave me a replica CBJ third jersey, which I’m fine with wearing because it doesn’t have shoulder patches). I couldn’t justify the expense and chose to buy other apparel like jackets and shirseys. Now that I have a job that pays better than any job I’ve ever had before I was able to make that decision and purchase an authentic jersey.

And you know what? I’ll likely have this thing longer than any counterfeit or replica would last. It’s made with heavy materials, sewn on logos, and I refuse to put a number on it. It will be the only CBJ jersey I’ll ever need (provided they don’t change their uniforms). When you look at it that way $300 for one jersey over the lifetime of that uniform isn’t so bad of a financial commitment.

I guess I said all that to say that buying a counterfeit jersey should not be a viable option.

I 100% agree with you, especially when it comes to baseball jerseys and missing arm patches and the like.

Only thing is, I dont mind buying screen shoulder patches, as long as they are there on the NHL jersey(I also buy sabres jerseys, sooo no shoulder patches).

Besides that 100% correct. I've also honestly moved to buying things such as authentic on field jackets, of the coach wear which im liking a lot better.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

I'm not a fan of intellectual property theft.

Oh, I see. Are you a fan of other types of theft? Or, is this just your way of being all self-righteous. Just admit, YOU do not like the knock-offs (Frankly, I don't either), so you whine about others wearing them? NFL is a $10Billion industry. The counterfeit jersey market is not going to hurt their business.

Sorry, but I can't feel bad for the NFL or NHL losing some jersey sales.

Hockey knock-offs for the most part are terrible. However, most people do not care. They would rather pay $50 and keep the $250 in their pocket. They save money and still show that they are a fan of that team.

I feel that a conterfiet is never a good thing to own, but I get why people buy them.

I have a old jays jersey i wear to games from my dad. It's big on me still, but I wear it proud.

I don't wear Leafs gear to games. Instead, I wear Blue. Easy way to honour your team.... just wear there colours.

are you just too cheap to buy your own stuff, so you use your dad or just wear a $5 t-shirt? What if the Leafs are playing the Rangers, Islanders, Blue Jackets, Canucks, Sabres, Oilers, Blues, Lightning, or Jets? All of those teams main color is blue. Wouldn't that confuse people abour your loyalty?

Archived