2015 NCAA Football Thread

DarkJourney

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ohio State really did win the National Championship last season, right? Just making sure. B)

Carry on.

"Undisputed" National Champions.

Looking forward to the 52-7 revenge beat down on Labor Day.
You underestimate the Lane. And the fact that we pushed your line around like rag dolls the first time.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Lane Stadium now and a few years ago are two different things, evident by losses to East Carolina, Georgia Tech, Boston College, and, specifically, a beating at the hand of Miami. I would say it'll be fairly quiet after the first quarter, but our fan base travels quite well ("Every game is a home game"), and there will be a lot of cheers from the scarlet and gray faithful.

The offensive line was ineffective because they were unprepared for the bear cover zero front that Virginia Tech presented, a completely different philosophy from Navy the previous week; they were replacing four departed starters; they were blocking for a quarterback who learned he was the starter not more than three weeks prior, and played every bit like a freshman thrown into the fire, and a running back who was still recovering from offseason wrist surgery. Everything that could have been against the Buckeyes that evening was, and Virginia Tech took advantage. Same reasons, save the defensive package, that Navy was leading the Buckeyes in the fourth quarter one week prior.

You play that game ten times over at the end of last season and the Hokies don't win a single game. Nothing from that game would have or will carry over to their meeting this fall. In fact, with all offseason to prepare specially for that scheme, I'd imagine that it'll be fairly useless. Virginia Tech's only hope is if the quarterback battle becomes too muddled and Urban switches quarterbacks each series - like Tressel did years ago with Smith and Zwick ten years ago against Texas - and the offense becomes stagnant as a result.

That could be a disaster for the first few years as they'll have to start from scratch. But if they can get their own stadium built it will be an improvement for them. I'm thinking C-USA saying they can't stay without football is the biggest factor for bringing it back. The loss of revenue would be even bigger than projected football losses.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

That could be a disaster for the first few years as they'll have to start from scratch. But if they can get their own stadium built it will be an improvement for them. I'm thinking C-USA saying they can't stay without football is the biggest factor for bringing it back. The loss of revenue would be even bigger than projected football losses.

Two words UAB fans and those who are glad the program is to return must here, "What now?"

There was no actual date in which the program will return. 2016 was not mentioned, the administration just said it was going to return. At least SMU had money to assist the program, along with scholarship athletes remain on campus. UAB is starting much worse off than even SMU did.

UAB cannot borrow money to build anything. Both the AD and school president made that clear in their statements this afternoon. They are going to try to get donor money for the fieldhouse, err football-only indoor facility and most likely try to force the city of Birmingham and Jefferson County to give them more money than what the city already does in buying tickets. They have only raised 10% of the money needed for that facility.

Birmingham, a city with a $13M budget shortfall, is upping its $250K direct funding of UAB football to $500K in bought tickets to events nobody goes to. An on-campus stadium is off the table.

Watts wants to do the football team no favors. Claiming that it's standard practice that athletics departments don't accrue debt in order to build facilities. That's a flat out lie. It's actually very rare that departments get facilities fully paid for with one giant donation like we saw with stuff like the Pegula Ice Arena.

Hell even in C-USA, it's easy to find schools with new facilities funded by bonds or faced debt paid for through student fees: FAU, UNT, FIU, Charlotte, ODU may result to bonds to fund their new stadium, WKU used bonds for the expansion of L.T. Stadium.

That's 6 of the 13 other conference schools that I could think of off the top of my head without doing research on the others. That's essentially half. But yeah, no one uses bonds/debt to fund athletic facilities.

It's great UAB Football is back but it sucks they're stuck under the U of A BOT and Watts. As long as the Tuscaloosa campus has nearly $1B in debt and UAB has the cash cow of a med school, #FreeUAB will not fully happen and Birmingham and Huntsville will continue to be treated like trash.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

• 5 weeks later...

http://thebiglead.com/2015/07/01/this-colin-cowherd-interview-with-jim-harbaugh-was-awkward/

Not sure if this is exactly the right place to post this, but Cowherd's interview with Harbaugh was a complete bust. I can understand him wanting to be an intense, reserved coach, but I think he should've given Colin a lot more than what he did. That was really painful to watch.

• 2 weeks later...

Two players in a week is bad but if you think FSU needs order, I don't want to know what you think some SEC programs need.

Remember that Bama TE who have thousands in cash and thousands of dollars worth of weed? It wouldn't surprise me if you don't since it was swept under the rug immediately and I never once saw it mentioned on ESPN.

Warning: About to talk about Division II lol

If the NCAA decides to look for a new venue for the Division II national championship whenever the deal with Sporting KC expires, I hope they move it to Taft Stadium in Oklahoma City. It's been renovated and looks really good now. Currently home to a USL team as well as some high school football teams come fall. It's capacity is smaller now seating around 8K, which I feel is a good size for D2. There were way too many (noticeably) empty seats at that 21K capacity stadium in Kansas City last year. IMHO anywhere between 8-12K would be a good size for D2. Plus OKC is a major city with lots of travel, lodging & entertainment options. I believe those were factors in moving the game from Florence, Alabama.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Two players in a week is bad but if you think FSU needs order, I don't want to know what you think some SEC programs need.

Remember that Bama TE who have thousands in cash and thousands of dollars worth of weed? It wouldn't surprise me if you don't since it was swept under the rug immediately and I never once saw it mentioned on ESPN.

I don't exactly remember that, but there's a huge difference between being caught with weed and assault.

If I'm the AD at Florida State, Cook has to be thrown out of the program. There's no tolerance for that kind of action.

FSU, like all schools, has a suspension until the legal process runs its course policy. They also have a habit of standing by their athletes when they believe them to be innocent. Thus why Jimbo stood by Jameis so firmly who, despite ignorant public perception, was never charged with anything even in the Code of Conduct hearing where all the accuser had to do was be 51% believable but she couldn't do that.

And we're not just talking a little weed, this was felony amounts and possession of other paraphernalia with intent to sell. But he was never actually arrested. A Bama player caught in Tuscaloosa with felony amounts of weed in a state with strict weed laws ... it's no surprise he was never actually arrested.

http://deadspin.com/alabama-tight-end-busted-with-a-quarter-pound-of-weed-i-1645926818

Warning: About to talk about Division II lol

If the NCAA decides to look for a new venue for the Division II national championship whenever the deal with Sporting KC expires, I hope they move it to Taft Stadium in Oklahoma City. It's been renovated and looks really good now. Currently home to a USL team as well as some high school football teams come fall. It's capacity is smaller now seating around 8K, which I feel is a good size for D2. There were way too many (noticeably) empty seats at that 21K capacity stadium in Kansas City last year. IMHO anywhere between 8-12K would be a good size for D2. Plus OKC is a major city with lots of travel, lodging & entertainment options. I believe those were factors in moving the game from Florence, Alabama.

If they leave Sporting KC's park, they should bring it down to San Antonio. Toyota Stadium seats just under 10,000 and it has already hosted the Division II soccer championships. It's not exactly downtown but everything is within a 20 minute drive of the stadium except for Sea World which is about 30 and probably not worth a trip in December.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived