Baseball Shorts vs. Hockey Pants

TheFallenHaveRisen

Clearly none of you have ever played baseball. I don't know how they played in shorts for more than 2 innings. There's a reason baseball players wear pants, and it's called sliding. I'm in phone and too lazy to look up if the Sox ever played in shorts on Astroturf, but if so DEAR GOD.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Clearly none of you have ever played baseball. I don't know how they played in shorts for more than 2 innings. There's a reason baseball players wear pants, and it's called sliding. I'm in phone and too lazy to look up if the Sox ever played in shorts on Astroturf, but if so DEAR GOD.

Id feel bad but with current player salaries, ehh rub some dirt on it

softball players do it all the time

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Not as many teams do anymore. I see lots of High School softball as an athletic trainer, shorts are rare for games these days. Treated many abrasions (strawberries) back in the day though.

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

I think baseball shorts would be a reason you'd see the sliding pants and socks combo like you see a lot in basketball now. Think pullover jerseys or a Henley and the monochrome shorts and socks. Thanks to modern science baseball shorts would work better but the aesthetic would be diminished

Cooperalls. Neither are good, of course, but hockey players sliding all over the ice is better than baseball players tearing the skin off their legs while trying to slide.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Would I rather walk the plank or face the firing squad?

Aesthetically, I'd go with the Cooperalls, I guess. But because of functionality and safety, I feel comfortable answering "neither."

On astroturf?

I don't know this, but I think the Sox only pulled out the shorts a couple of times and only at home.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

How did shorts become the norm for hockey uniforms in the first place? On the surface, it seems kind of silly since shorts are usually associated with warmth weather.

I'm assuming it had to do with the leg pads and not wanting to / being able to put full-length pants over top of the old pads, but I'm curious if anyone knows otherwise. It just seems that pants would make more sense, even if they look dumb (and have been proven to be unsafe) since we're so used to shorts.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived