ColorWerx.NET Site Launch - 02/11/2015

TruColor

Is the future here yet?

The future still isn't here yet and at this point I highly doubt we will ever get a full explanation of what actually happened.

It's his site and research and he can do whatever he wants with it, but I think I speak for a lot of people when I say it's very frustrating to have something you've been using for years just taken away without having any real idea as to why.

The only thing I know for sure is that money was a big reason why it was shut down. Quite possibly the only reason. All I can say to that is I saw a lot of people using his site's research for a lot of different reasons including myself. But I didn't come across one instance where the site was being used in research that was then being turned into a profit.

That assertion could be wrong, but just from what I've seen I don't follow the logic for why the site was shut down. If people are using it and making money off it when your providing it for free, that's one thing. But this was a great public good that a lot of people used to their benefit including myself that has since been taken away for reasons that I don't fully understand or would probably agree with even if I did.

Up until the point his site was shut down I had nothing but kind words to say about ColorWerx. Unfortunately that is no longer the case. I'm happy the site was around for as long as it was and I hope he brings it back one day as it was, but if nothing I think not providing a explanation for why the site was shut down shows a major lack of respect for the people that were interested in the site and helped give it the type of traffic that it did.

It pains me to say these things, because from a sports logo research perspective, short of Chris Creamer himself this was the most productive member of this board hands down. No matter what happens he's entitled to a great deal of respect and admiration here that neither I nor anyone else can take away.

That's a pretty selfish way of looking at it...

It is his site, he can decide what to do with it. He doesn't owe anybody any sort of explanation. Even though he mentions in a post two above yours, he will explain at a later date...

Obviously he can do what he wants to with his site, but I think he has as much right to not answer the question as I have to criticize it.

I have my own opinions of what research should be about and why you should be doing it. I just publicized my first serious piece about a month and a half ago. I spent nine months working on it (really eight years developing it) and haven't seen a dime from it yet which puts me in the majority of people who've done research. I would like for that to change. Who doesn't want to get money for their work? But if it was about making money it would have never gotten done and there's far more serious research projects out there then mine where the same would apply. (See Jonas Salk)

I'm okay with agreeing to disagree in that sense (if its even applicable to discussion which I'm not sure it is) and I have no interest in getting into that type of an ideological discussion about things like that on this board anyway. I just simply want to know why and I think enough time has passed to say that we should have an answer by now if he was interested in giving one.

Given his well earned reputation here no matter what the reason was I don't think anyone here wouldn't at least respect it, including no response at all. If I didn't have any respect or appreciation what he's had done, I wouldn't be taking the time to say this.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can I just say what I hope is on the minds of the vast majority of board members,

That I miss the site, it was exceptionally helpful and a fantastic tool, and I hope that someday soon it comes back so we can all utilize that great research again.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

I haven't read the whole thread, I just wanted to say that the ColorWerx is 100% right about the intended color of the Cowboys pants being the same while seeing visual tweaks based on different manufacturers/lighting/etc... people complain about current Nike jerseys having contrasting shades of different colors not realizing that different materials will lighten/darken differently depending on the lighting.

Can I just say what I hope is on the minds of the vast majority of board members,

That I miss the site, it was exceptionally helpful and a fantastic tool, and I hope that someday soon it comes back so we can all utilize that great research again.

I know for a fact its not just board members here that feel that way.

I know it speaks for my feelings as well.

If you had any respect or appreciation for what he's done, you wouldn't post things like "I think not providing a explanation for why the site was shut down shows a major lack of respect for the people that were interested in the site".

He's a member of the forum, not some benevolent lifeforce. People are free to discuss his positives (outstanding devotion to his work) and negatives (prone to weird fits of pique where he deletes everything) and still have respect for his work.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• 3 weeks later...

Damn I enjoyed this site for years, sad to see it go. Now we have to look up the colors ourselves guys, so start researching

Here's the thing...I can tell you from experience in the past few months that the Color-Optimized versions of the colors Cwx did DO NOT match team media guides, and I think this is by design. I think there is some calculated factor based on the "official" color that's supposed to make it right for the internet. I don't know what that is, exactly.

But I can tell you that if you take Cwx Atlanta Falcons Red (for example) and then look up the NFL team media guide for Falcons Red, they are definitely 2 different colors. Soooo...while there will never be another Colorwerx (the man), I hope someone is able to "crack the code" for how the color-optimized versions came to be.....

spacer.png  5-time Defending NL East Champions spacer.png 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived